Author Topic: Feature Request: War Report  (Read 4886 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Feature Request: War Report
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
This would be an extension of the diplomacy system that gives an overview of any declared wars in the game. It'd include a list of regions lost and gain from realms and subrealms you're at war with, as well as a list of battles involved between two parties to include force counts.

This would only function against declared war targets or a nemesis realm, and would let the realm know kind of how a war is going.

If we ever get realm flags/banners/whatever it'd be a cool place to put them as well.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Feature Request: War Report
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
This would work well with my idea of making wars their own entities with a limited scope and time. They could then have their own log, listing important events related to the war.

I could see that the log of a war contains any settlement changes between the involved realms as well as any battles where characters (or settlements) of the opposing sides are involved.

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
Yes please. Great suggestion.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
Nice!

Anything that reduces what I have to remember is a great idea.  The more people have to remember and organize outside the game, the less people will actually do it.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
So, in summary, what we want is:

War
Gets declared and has:
  • a limited timeframe
  • in which to complete a specified mission
  • which can be conquest or raid
  • of specified settlements
  • or death/capture of specified nobles
  • or surrender of specified realms
  • also, a free-form text to explain whatever else
With this system, the software can actually track the progress of the war, and at the end can make a conclusion (e.g. xx% of war goals were reached).
Maybe also an option to keep the war declaration secret until the end, to allow for surprise raids.

At the end of the war, allow the issuer as well as the target (maybe?) a statement for the history books.

more ideas?

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »
House keeping after a war.  Negotiations take place and I think when they do if two commanders are in the same location, they should be able to exchange settlements taken and establish trade between their settlements.  Perhaps entourage to make this happen?

This becomes difficult to balance because one or more nobles who did the taking of settlements may choose to not give it up.  So a request would need to be sent (or a permission set up) that allows the commander to negotiate with your settlements.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
Good suggestion, WVH. I second that.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
I'm thinking to start simple and then if the model is successful, extend it:
  • Declaration of war
  • timeframe
  • list of regions to either raid or conquer
and that's it. See what happens if we have this. Now I'm thinking to integrate the claim system with this, maybe? Should it be possible to declare conquest only on regions that someone in your realm holds a claim for? No, right, too mechanistic. But there should be some effect of claims, I think.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »
Make a little map with the contested regions, and put the ones which someone in the realm has claims in a darker color, perhaps.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »
the log of war with the settlement changes and battles fought+logs would be awesome.

having a war map with declared objectives would also be fun :)

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 03:54:35 AM »
Speaking of reports.  How difficult would it be to figure out what weapons/armor/equipment are in a nobles army?

Now that entourage and resupply are becoming ever more important, it would be nice to know that you have enough equipment to resupply and know how much food you will need for however many days on land or at sea.

Just an idea for later on.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »
What exactly do you have in mind? A display saying "your camp followers can feed your army for 7 days" ?

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »
What exactly do you have in mind?

In my mind I see my character sitting down at the end of the day (after squires have erected my tent and my evening meal is prepared beside a large horn of mead) and going over reports or listening to my advisers.

One report should say how much of any one item my followers have.  Just item and amount, very much like under the manage militia listing what equipment is ready to be trained with.  I can already see my army size and do the math of how many days that number of food will last, but what I do not know is how much food we are getting off of the land.  It would be useful to know that because we WOULD know that in the field.  It lets us know about how long we have before starvation begins to be a problem.

Along those same lines, knowing what equipment we have ready at home without going there is useful for knowing if a place is good for resupply during a war.  Maybe a steward entourage member needs to be established in your holding so that they can report it to you.  Maybe that steward can be killed by attackers who make it over the wall, so that they can disrupt your planning.

Don't get me wrong, I am not beating on the table for any of this stuff.  I understand the situation time wise, but just want to get these ideas out of my head before they are lost.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
Those sound like immensely useful suggestions.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »
Ok, short summary added to the top of the entourage screen.