Author Topic: Rathgar  (Read 4940 times)

marthonman

• View Profile
Rathgar
« on: November 18, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
Since Rathgar has kinda reunited and reorganized, and the old Rathgar thread hasn't been used in a year. I decided to create a new one here.

marthonman

• View Profile
Re: Rathgar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »

And this is the first thing i want to discuss.

To new players and even more experienced players outside of Rathgar appears as a giant realm and a cohesive empire, which is far from the truth. Before I joined Rathgar I was under this impression as well and I had been playing for a while.

So to combat this I suggest 2 things: One a better description of the realm, something that cites Rathgar being decentralized and most clans are roughly independent. And, two a name change to something like; Clans of Rathgar, or Rathgari Clans, or anything that might insinuate to new players that this isn't a big empire, but rather a collection of houses and clans.

To old players this may not be an issue; even outside Rathgar most people are aware of how Rathgar truly operates, but to new players it can be misleading and a name change could better reflect reality.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
Looking like a large empire is part of the point of Rathgar, and most of the natural animal world come to think of it.  You try to be bigger or look meaner than you really are.

Rathgar is not unified but they do band together if another large nation attacked.  Each realm has a choice in helping out or not but it would look weak to not send something.

Despite that, I think you are right that Rathgar should change its name to something more telling.  Tribelands of Rathgar or whatever.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
That banding together though, happens too quickly most of the time. You shouldn't see every clan joining in arms the moment a single clan gets beaten back. Their neighbors, sure. Maybe even their neighbors, but not every single clan. Why would the distant ones even care?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

marthonman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
I presented the idea in their realm thread. They seem receptive and are trying to pick a name now

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »
The problem is largely that there is not enough going on. If people are bored, they will jump at any opportunity for action. If they are busy elsewhere, they will be more reluctant.

Maybe we should add more damage to settlements so you can have more of a burn-rebuild cycle?

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Why would the distant ones even care?

Depends on how distant.  But yes, the game is always starved for war, so when one breaks out...everyone that can get in on it tries to.

What SHOULD happen in my opinion, if the Empire marched 3000 troops on a realm of Rathgar and that realm was pushed out of their own lands, realms near it should respond.  Realms sort of near it should respond.  If not enough of them are there then others farther out should respond. 

By respond I mean sending three nobles with 50 to 75 warriors each.  Not the entire garrison.  BECAUSE what SHOULD happen while all this is going on is a realm in Rathgar that hates another realm in Rathgar should go raiding it while they are distracted.... another realm in Rathgar SHOULD be in war already and too busy to respond to the eternal threat.

Meanwhile another realm hates the realm being attacked so sends 200 warriors VERY slowly.  So they save face at the next Thing but do not really help too much or too quickly.

But hey, we are getting there slowly but surely.  For example, most of the new players hate Richard Van Valen (although some still can not tell the difference between one character and individual ones...and that is causing me to contract my own play locations)... but some are loyal to him.  Others will (i hope) soon find that he gives out gold like crazy for simple tasks and will be greedy for it!  We need that extra individual web of want, threat, love, hate, greed, laying on top of the web of politics at realm level.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
The problem is largely that there is not enough going on. If people are bored, they will jump at any opportunity for action. If they are busy elsewhere, they will be more reluctant.

Maybe we should add more damage to settlements so you can have more of a burn-rebuild cycle?

Personally I believe we need better ideas for limited scope of war.  A reminder or options that tell us what level is acceptable for war.  In any boarder war, is two settlements the right amount of expansion?

If it is a personal war (insult or revenge for death) what is a good end for that?  During war hate flares and more characters are ruined or die and that fuels more conflict.  This snowballs into a do or die war where you hate them so much you want them gone.  We need top down examples of what is acceptable expectations for a war like this.

How can an individual declare war on another individual or family and make it clear what the end result is?  One battle for the clout?

Use of diplomacy is not in tip top shape.  Would be nice to have a one click (plus description message delivered to anyone with realm positions...aka automatically start a message to both realms leaders.) option to send diplomatic requests.  Those requests may need to be one click returns also...and have it update relations automatically.

Too much mechanic fog of war has resulted in too little player caused war chaos.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
how quickly or to what extent other Rathgari clans will come to the aid of another is very fluid.

If someone i don't like or has insulted me attacks the Imperium and gets defeated, and is then invaded in return, will i help them.... probably not, or at least not much. (example, if the old D'serrai clan had got in a fight with the Imperium and was losing masses of territory, i might send a "token" force of a few hundered warriors just to make it look like i was helping)

If an old Ally of my has it's territory invaded by a Southern Realm, will i help them, hell yes, with the full force i can muster.

Or..... if Ascalon + Imperium + Eldamar  (just picking the three biggest realms in reasonable proximity) all invade another Northern Clan, even if i don't like that clan much, will i march..... damn right i will. Those soft southerners need to be discouraged from working together against us. And in that situation, i would look down on any other clan which does not join the fight.

Twice in the past the Northern Clans invaded the South.
I'm surprised that the South has never tried a "Crusade" or similar against the heathens in the North.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:57:58 PM »
I'm surprised that the South has never tried a "Crusade" or similar against the heathens in the North.

That would only validate their inflated opinion of themselves and their importance.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »

Because that'd only make the North unite against every finger pointed in their direction even more than they do now.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 05:47:28 PM »

We're busy doing southy things.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

FARevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »

Mate there are already blobs everywhere, having everyone go against Rathgar will only make the southerners the new Rathgar tbh.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »
Personally I believe we need better ideas for limited scope of war.  A reminder or options that tell us what level is acceptable for war.  In any boarder war, is two settlements the right amount of expansion?

I think the diplomacy system can be reworked. Right now, even I don't care much nor update the diplomacy of my realms. Maybe we should just have a default stance, and everything else is temporary? Alliances and declarations of war have a purpose and a duration?

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
I think the diplomacy system can be reworked. Right now, even I don't care much nor update the diplomacy of my realms. Maybe we should just have a default stance, and everything else is temporary? Alliances and declarations of war have a purpose and a duration?

Make it so realm rulers can "tag" the estates being contested in the conflict for members of their realm to see, perhaps?