Author Topic: Bandit Shame  (Read 2752 times)

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Shame
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 03:37:46 AM »
Actually, can anyone try to suggest some bandit-specific mechanics that could be added? That might make them more interesting.

Or, hell, not just bandits.

Heathen priests, assassins, nomads... So many new things can be added to the game, really, in a limited scope so as to influence but not overpower regular first ones' influence.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:26 AM »
While I understand your problem with bandits this strong in the newly-opened land, the truth is that in all the rest of the (old and developed) realms they are not even a nuisance. In several realms you won't be able to storm any settlement with only 100 soldiers, no matter if they are all heavy cavalry.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »
100? That's nada. :) I've seen bandits spawn with 250 or more. Unless they were abusing the mercenary mechanic back when bandits could board ships and recruit mercenaries, if Tom actually fixed that already. Dunno.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
While I understand your problem with bandits this strong in the newly-opened land, the truth is that in all the rest of the (old and developed) realms they are not even a nuisance. In several realms you won't be able to storm any settlement with only 100 soldiers, no matter if they are all heavy cavalry.

That is actually not true, though there targets are much more limited. My bandit has found several settlements they can just walk into in the old North, and others that have less then 10 militia.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 10:24:31 PM »
Where in the "old north"?

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
Thats[s another problem then. If bandits are effectively crap in established realms, then theyre not being very effective?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »
They are not, it all depends on what you do with them. I've seen bandits that show up, suicide themselves against walls and get squished. I've seen other bandits in the same places being a royal PITA by evading, looting, engaging a weaker noble here, running to another settlement there, beating the militia of a village, looting some more, etc.

Lann

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 09:26:45 PM »
Please, no NPCs. PC bandits are so much better. They provide potential for RP, and a much more meaningful interaction even if you don't communicate with them.

NPCs are just a chore.

That depends.  If bandits aren't to receive gold, aren't to be able to enter a settlement and get militia, aren't to be capable of really getting anything from nobles and nobles have nothing they can give in return... then all the player interaction from a bandit begins and ends with them suiciding against a settlement.  Kinda hard to feel motivated to roleplay, when you know there's not much you can do and no real reason to interact.  If that's how bandits are to be, then yeah-- I'd prefer them controlled by AI. 

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 02:13:24 AM »
That depends.  If bandits aren't to receive gold, aren't to be able to enter a settlement and get militia, aren't to be capable of really getting anything from nobles and nobles have nothing they can give in return... then all the player interaction from a bandit begins and ends with them suiciding against a settlement.  Kinda hard to feel motivated to roleplay, when you know there's not much you can do and no real reason to interact.  If that's how bandits are to be, then yeah-- I'd prefer them controlled by AI.

Their potential diminishes with all the nerfs they suffer, I agree with you on that. But it's still more interesting to fight a human intelligence than an AI.

I'd be very favorable to expand their options, but make every interaction of their with nobles recorded in their history. So if someone gives them gold, it will be publicly known. And if someone gives them soldiers, the same (and how many and which type). And so on.
That would prevent the abuse of using them to attack other realms with massive armies anonymously, without destroying the potential RPs of raiding and mercenary bandits.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 02:33:53 AM »

We had a bandit in Elysium recently who was looting outlying farms until we were suitably annoyed to chase them down. Fun times and the bandit RP'd delightfully. There is still much that can be done with them, but like all interaction it requires effort from both sides.
He who was once known as Blackfyre