Author Topic: Bandit Shame  (Read 2395 times)

Constantine

• View Profile
Re: Bandit Shame
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
On the other hand, this tutorial mode may give new players a wrong perception of what the game is about.

I think it is important to let the newbie know from the get go that this is not Travian and you don't "win" the game by grabbing a settlement and building it up into a powerhouse. This game is more about accumulating power through oaths of fealty, alliances and treaties.
The sooner players understand their settlements do not matter that much at the start and they should first and foremost reach out to other players for support and protection, the better.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing polarised spectrum. I don't think going a little easy on new players is incompatible with letting them discover the aim of the game.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
What's important, I think, is to give normal knights more to do that they can accomplish with relatively few troops.

Maybe dungeons should be revised, and instead of character-based be unit-based. So there's this ruins where a few rebels hide. If you come with a huge army, they will see you and disappear. If you come with a small force, you can have an interesting battle and beat them. If you ignore them, they will occasionally loot the nearby settlements or something.

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
  • "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »
What's important, I think, is to give normal knights more to do that they can accomplish with relatively few troops.

Maybe dungeons should be revised, and instead of character-based be unit-based. So there's this ruins where a few rebels hide. If you come with a huge army, they will see you and disappear. If you come with a small force, you can have an interesting battle and beat them. If you ignore them, they will occasionally loot the nearby settlements or something.

I believe that finishing the quests mechanic and adding RP, fluff and some actually meaningful gold sinks for every character 'level'  would do a lot in allowing knights to do more. Something like allowing characters to 'buy' fancy armour from a location with a heavy armourer as some kind of fluff RP "look at my great Hawks-made plate armour fuck yeah" or "look at my pureblood Ascalonian charger it's so cool".

You could even invent a mini-economy for this where every 'investment' made like this temporarily increases production rate by 1%-5% for a few weeks to represent the great ornamented whatever they just sold.

Adding more expensive 'stealable' items would add even more RP and gold sink possibilities, making quests and tournaments where you can earn the big money even more meaningful for knights and small lordlings.

The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »

Please, no more PvE features. The bandits are so cool because you are actually facing another player, and it's not just some meaningless chore to keep your realm afloat. NPC enemies that may rape or weaken colonists and small/young realms is really not the way to go, IMO.

You could even invent a mini-economy for this where every 'investment' made like this temporarily increases production rate by 1%-5% for a few weeks to represent the great ornamented whatever they just sold.

Adding gold sinks for PR purposes? Yes, totally. Maybe if you add aesthetic features and you would be able to buy a specific currency for them with either gold or RL money (the game has to be funded, and if it is purely for the looks there is no harm to the game).

Now making gold also increase settlement productivity is a no-no to me. You are just widening the already steep level gap.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »
I knew we had this idea before - check here:

http://forum.mightandfealty.com/index.php/topic,2680.0.html

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »

That's pretty good.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
we want new players to stay.... so perhaps not attacking them while they are trying to establish themselves, i.e have no estates would be "nice"

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
If a new player messes badly with my characters they will be attacked or some sort of reaction. 

By the way, we should see about some bandits on the sea.  They start with a ship and can make landfall, loot, return to ship.  Or can they use the docks already?

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »
They can't use docks, as far as I know. Certainly they couldn't a week or so ago!

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 02:39:17 AM »
Likewise, a bandit is supposed to be for fun and extra RP. Attacking helpless newbie #23 who has no army is pointless. I'd hit the bigger targets to equalize the playing field, the guys who can actually be expected to mount a proper defense against my bandit. I've passed many, many new settlements with my bandit characters, and usually try to worth WITH newbies rather than murder them. I teach them how to take militia from independents, what are the best buildings to build to get a basic army going, and welcome them to the game in a friendly manner. Seeing a how my bandits usually spawn with a ridiculously powerful army, its fitting.

Now, if Tom could curb the 100-300-man heavy-soldier bandit clusterfucks, double the bandit limit, and make them much weaker, THEN we'll have some fun with bandits! Right now they're OP as all hell, in many cases, unless attacking a well-established realm.

I REALLY don't get how a bandit can roll in with more heavy infantry/cavalry and better troops than the King of the realm they're attacking. Its ridiculously imbalanced. I really think many more, yet weaker, bandits would be more fun.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 02:44:05 AM »
I had a bandit in the new area who saw two other characters fighting each other. After their fight concluded I engaged them both, thinking I would clear out both remaining armies, leave them on an even footing, and maybe even turn them into unlikely friends. Sadly, I don't think it worked.  :-\

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »

YES PLEASE.

I think adding more "NPC" options would be grand. I know its an RP sandbox, but we're human and have lives and can only do so much. Creating more RP through random events would be awesome.

For example, an NPC bandit attack spawns after a certain while, perhaps using a chaos number generator so its truly random, with a small number of troops relative to that of the settlement so they don't curbstomp you and just add flavor, and immediately disbands upon being defeated. The bandit does not flee, or if its possible to implement, runs a short distance away. Or, like in Mount & Blade, bandit hideouts of various types - based on terrain for flavor - that spawn little bandit attacks. The roving bandit groups attack people and settlements, and usually lose, but you need a few first ones with proper armies to assault their hideout, maybe giving some gold and resources after the conquest. :) Not sure if this is possible, but its a tried-and-true concept for these kinds of games.

This bandit spawn will also help weaken those god damn slumberblight fortresses with so many troops that no one is insane enough to take them back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:59:20 AM by Ehndras »

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 03:24:05 AM »
Please, no NPCs. PC bandits are so much better. They provide potential for RP, and a much more meaningful interaction even if you don't communicate with them.

NPCs are just a chore.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 03:36:28 AM »
Yes, but an option can exist where a bandit is generated and a player can choose to "spawn as them", thus entering into an already-ongoing attack/conflict and just play it by ear, perhaps?

Or, again, many more bandits albeit weaker.