Author Topic: Messaging and Publications System Rework  (Read 4150 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Messaging and Publications System Rework
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
Discuss with me, please:

Should messages be linked to towers, or to recipients? I'll explain:

If I link messages to towers, than people joining will see old messages, but they will also lose them when they leave.
If I link to recipients, the point-in-time of the sending determines if you see a message or not.

Example:
Character A sends a message to settlement/realm/group X
Character B joins this realm or group, or arrives at this settlement a few days later.
Character C was a member of the realm/group, or at the settlement, but left a few days after this message.

Should B see the message?
Should C keep the message?

Linking to towers would be closer to a publication / announcements model while linking to characters would be closer to a letters model.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
Discuss with me, please:

Should messages be linked to towers, or to recipients? I'll explain:

If I link messages to towers, than people joining will see old messages, but they will also lose them when they leave.
If I link to recipients, the point-in-time of the sending determines if you see a message or not.

Example:
Character A sends a message to settlement/realm/group X
Character B joins this realm or group, or arrives at this settlement a few days later.
Character C was a member of the realm/group, or at the settlement, but left a few days after this message.

Should B see the message?
Should C keep the message?

Linking to towers would be closer to a publication / announcements model while linking to characters would be closer to a letters model.

Why is it an either or system? Both have their uses.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
I would personally prefer a letters model.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »
sorry for not reading all five pages of thread ;D so I will keep it as simple as i can in case that is mentioned already

- could messaging towers be somehow made close to bm guilds? if range is important, could size of tower be related with settlement-based distance. something like: large tower has 3 settlements range and if it's built every three settlements, you can bring message all over the continent, but if chain is broken, you cannot
- that would make sense to me is all foreign (outside your realms) contact fade away after few days. that way we would get rid of large contacts list, and guild would serve as message classification system.
- guilds should be limited to members, so powerful ruler might want to have say three guildhouses for his three contact areas, or similar.
- special building - council house that would allow forming of councils - dedicated message groups within realm where owner can add/remove members. maybe, each house/one council, and one house per settlement to add little effort to it. ordinary nobles should be able to leave message to council when they entered settlement with specific council.

and so on... :)

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
hope i'm not flooding this thread too much...

what would happen if realm-wide communication could be somewhat limited.

something like, noble of the realm can send only messages to his basic realm, not any realm above /rulers should be able to send messages to all realms which they rule / nobles should send personal messages to all rulers in sovereign realm hierarchy (above them).

messages are at the core of everything, and such setup could motivate subrealms to be more active or cease to exist. what is the purpose of subrealms that never share messages on their level? their members do not develop any tighter links, eventually they have no enough feel to belong to subrealm at all (until it declares independence and that is exactly the moment when communication brakes).

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »
I don't know that towers or recipients are the real issue.

Being able to organize groups in our messages/realms may be the missing link for communication, realm management, war, and cultural choices (religion/guilds/all that jazz people keep bringing up)

It is nice to be able to pick and choose who is in a message the first time you start it.  But when someone turns on you or you need to keep info secret from, you have to go select everyone over again.  So people don't.

Same thing goes for realm spam.  I have a choice of figuring out who in my exhaustive list of contacts is going to fight a war.  I pick them then sides change and I have to do it again, carefully spending time clicking on each character in the receipt list to make sure which side they are on (it does not show in messages who is from where).

Battlegroups were a cool idea.  Being able to allow people to choose which 'realm group' they want to be in is a cool idea too!  "Hey realm, we are going to war with Bob-The-Unbuilder, joing Bob war group to receive orders"  Then the spam is limited to those people and the info is more manageable because people can choose to be in or out instead of me having to pick who is in or out.  If they are late arrivals, they get updated with the full group string to a certain point.

This could cross realm boundaries with the towers idea to allow alliances to talk.

As I am thinking on this, maybe what I am trying to describe is an invitation.  You invite realms/other groups/individuals to join a topic.

That would allow for the set up of religions based on the one true thing that ties them together, communication.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »
Yes, I think message groups that you can subscribe to are the missing link.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »
I apologize, I missed the bit about subscribing to groups in your example... :) well done then.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 01:24:07 AM »
if such message group would be subrealm itself, that would give much more weight to subrealms, which, i believe misses now. messaging within subrealms is very rare. currently in most of realms i am member of, almost all messaging goes to the whole top realm, often in one single thread.

something like limiting "message to all" for ordinary nobles to the lowest rank realm they belong to could open all kinds of political activities and troubles that make stories. and fun. :D

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
Just bumping this thread. I remember we had an experimental version which I didn't had time to explore as much as I wanted to when it was tested. Any chance we could see this implemented in the future?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 10:33:20 AM »
As soon as I find my spirit to delve into coding work again.