Author Topic: I'm Bored: 2000 credits to whomever can . . .  (Read 2446 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
I'm Bored: 2000 credits to whomever can . . .
« on: November 03, 2015, 03:38:22 AM »
Your challenge of the day is to explain to me how EVERYTHING in Might & Fealty could be improved by the addition of a SINGLE feature. 2000 credits to whichever one I like the most. And yes, it's very subjective. You could win on thoroughness, hilarity, logical, satire, whatever, and it's entirely dependent on my mood. Seriously though, 2000 credits.

I'll forward these to myself to review at work (where I can't access this forum or the game) to review. I'll give you until 23:59:59 Sunday, Game time, at which point I will consider all submissions to be final.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 03:39:59 AM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Devonus

• View Profile
Re: I'm Bored: 2000 credits to whomever can . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 03:49:23 AM »
challenge accepted

FARevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:22:16 AM »
I'd say personal items.

marthonman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:35:58 AM »
I'd say personal items.
That would help keep track of important items, that some lore is built around. Also you could acquire personal items from dungeons, no function In game, but you could say "I acquired X item here" and then pass it on to someone else.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:02:44 AM by Tom »

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »
My idea is about enhancing province features. It consists of two parts.

Firstly, we already have POI which sorta add flavour to the game. I suggest to dwell on this feature. Divide the Corelands by POI and assign a common feature to every settlement in a POI.
E.G. all ships hired on Kvernes Isle sail 10% faster. All units recruited in the Lowalnds train faster with horses and move faster when wearing light/medium armour. Units of Coi Woods are better archers, Lonely Mountains mine more metal and Baels Valley generate more wealth, etc. Of course more thought needs to be put into balancing.
This will give realms even more flavour rp-wise and playstyle-wise.

Secondly, I suggest a system of dynamic features to spice the foreign affairs a little bit.
E.G. all Lords in like 100 miles get a message "A wandering saint blessed the crops in Greemeadow, harvests are rumoured to have increased significantly" or "Miners in White Downs have struck gold. Wealth production doubled." Thus suddenly certain villages will become really valuable and neighbouring realms will have an incentive to start a small campaign which will be fun for everyone without spiraling into a big war.
Important thing here is to make this boons temporary so that these regions are worth to fight for, but the winner will not sit on his laurels and enjoy bonuses indefinitely. Another thing to consider is to only let these events happen in independent/slumbering regions.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 03:16:58 AM »
Battlemaster's guilds.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
My idea is about enhancing province features. It consists of two parts.

I like both of them.

I would modify the first and make it a "specialty" that you can pick from a list. Higher food harvest, more wood production, faster training of this or that weapon, soldiers starting with a few points of experience, faster construction things like that.

Make it so that the more settlements in the area around you share the same specialty, the higher the bonus is. And to prevent single-owner realms profiting: Only count settlements owned by another player (not just character). This gives bonuses to heterogeneous areas that can coordinate.

The second I like as well. It is not very difficult to code a temporary change in resources. The question is: Would this really cause additional interaction and gameplay? What needs to be done to ensure it does?

Lann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:08:24 PM »
Here's the thing... Temporary gains in resources never seem that useful.  That's why you don't see people loot for resources a whole lot.  You gain some extra wood/food/metal temporarily in that moment, but who cares if it all goes away soon?  You barely reap the benefits and what gains you do get are lost the moment you stop looting.  Gold is a little different.  You loot that and you get to carry it away and use it whenever you'd like.  You can acquire it, build upon it, and store it.   Then you spend it when you like.  Food, wood, and metal get eaten up by your settlement over time. 

If we could stockpile those other resources-- that might make them worth caring about for looting or temporary 'events' as you could store them and then use them whenever you have a particular construction project you want done.  Or you could use that extra bout of food when someone's sitting on your settlement with a big army or to help give a temporary population boon.

Figure out a way to stockpile food, wood, and metal like you do gold and I know I would pay attention if a region suddenly got a boost in those resources.   Endless Legend has a sort of system like this where you can gather 'stockpiles', that then you can use when you want. 

Aside from that:

1)  A temporary event involving wealth is mildly worth poking around, if for no other reason than because you could loot for big gold numbers.  But with gold only usable for mercenaries, not everyone's going to care.  I use them a lot so I'd be down, if it wasn't out of the way.
2)  Any bonus that increases soldier production, training, or experience in a region better be significant enough or last longer than a short time or no one is going to be interested.  Remember that if you want to invade to take a town, you're going to be losing men to do that.  If it turns into a more involved conflict, that boon will mean very little.  So people won't even waste their time taking a town for something like that unless they can be guaranteed a lot of very high quality soldiers very quickly. 
3)  Making these bonuses happen more to independent/ slumbering realms is a great idea to spurn motivation to keep your realm's from allowing settlements to go to slumberblight.  A leader won't want to make his settlements attractive for a potential invader to take.

Also, creating negative events would be cool too-- something to get people jumpy.  For instance, you could have a flash flood occur near water regions that causes damage to buildings, reducing food production temporarily, and injures/ kills militia in the area.  Or there could be an event where riots occurred and the effects are a few buildings suffer minor damage, a few soldiers are wounded, and a portion of stored resources and supplies are stolen.   Or an unexplained section of wall collapsed due to weak foundation, thus creating damage to a wall structure and temporarily allowing attackers the ability to 'bypass' that defense in attacking a settlement (in other words, that wall won't be counted in the defense bonus of a settlement during the battle, though other wall structures may). 

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 05:40:36 AM »
Battlemaster's guilds.

Why? They are barely used within Battlemaster. THe majority are started, get about 5 members and fall apart as soon as the founder loses interest.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »
Here's the thing... Temporary gains in resources never seem that useful.  That's why you don't see people loot for resources a whole lot.  You gain some extra wood/food/metal temporarily in that moment, but who cares if it all goes away soon?  You barely reap the benefits and what gains you do get are lost the moment you stop looting.  Gold is a little different.  You loot that and you get to carry it away and use it whenever you'd like.  You can acquire it, build upon it, and store it.   Then you spend it when you like.  Food, wood, and metal get eaten up by your settlement over time. 

If we could stockpile those other resources-- that might make them worth caring about for looting or temporary 'events' as you could store them and then use them whenever you have a particular construction project you want done.  Or you could use that extra bout of food when someone's sitting on your settlement with a big army or to help give a temporary population boon.

Figure out a way to stockpile food, wood, and metal like you do gold and I know I would pay attention if a region suddenly got a boost in those resources.   Endless Legend has a sort of system like this where you can gather 'stockpiles', that then you can use when you want. 

Aside from that:

1)  A temporary event involving wealth is mildly worth poking around, if for no other reason than because you could loot for big gold numbers.  But with gold only usable for mercenaries, not everyone's going to care.  I use them a lot so I'd be down, if it wasn't out of the way.
2)  Any bonus that increases soldier production, training, or experience in a region better be significant enough or last longer than a short time or no one is going to be interested.  Remember that if you want to invade to take a town, you're going to be losing men to do that.  If it turns into a more involved conflict, that boon will mean very little.  So people won't even waste their time taking a town for something like that unless they can be guaranteed a lot of very high quality soldiers very quickly. 
3)  Making these bonuses happen more to independent/ slumbering realms is a great idea to spurn motivation to keep your realm's from allowing settlements to go to slumberblight.  A leader won't want to make his settlements attractive for a potential invader to take.

Also, creating negative events would be cool too-- something to get people jumpy.  For instance, you could have a flash flood occur near water regions that causes damage to buildings, reducing food production temporarily, and injures/ kills militia in the area.  Or there could be an event where riots occurred and the effects are a few buildings suffer minor damage, a few soldiers are wounded, and a portion of stored resources and supplies are stolen.   Or an unexplained section of wall collapsed due to weak foundation, thus creating damage to a wall structure and temporarily allowing attackers the ability to 'bypass' that defense in attacking a settlement (in other words, that wall won't be counted in the defense bonus of a settlement during the battle, though other wall structures may).

You can stockpile, but it is situational. Take a settlement that has a slight surplus of wood, now every time you loot you are increasing the speed at which the natural stockpile increases. If you run at a deficit, well its very difficult to stockpile anything when you are constantly scratching around just to meet minimum supply.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
Why? They are barely used within Battlemaster. THe majority are started, get about 5 members and fall apart as soon as the founder loses interest.

Because BM doesn't have the same message-system limitations we have. They add very little for them, but it would solve many of our issues: organizing religions, holy orders, private ruler councils, alliances, etc.

The only drawback, not small, is that it would promote static cliques.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
Because BM doesn't have the same message-system limitations we have. They add very little for them, but it would solve many of our issues: organizing religions, holy orders, private ruler councils, alliances, etc.

The only drawback, not small, is that it would promote static cliques.

Finishing the current system to allow the adding of people to a discussion would do likewise.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 02:32:44 AM »
Posting to watch. Comment coming later.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Kuromei

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
It's just a day past Sunday, meh.  ;)

Sound effects would be nice. Could just be a *pop* when you get a message, or an agonised cry when you log in to find that your favourite character has just been offed. A small novelty feature that can be turned on and off in settings. Personally I'd pay a thousand credits or so if I could upload my own sound effects for just me, a small mp3 no longer than 4 seconds or so.

(Don't believe that live updates to the game exist yet, if any change occurs a refresh is a must to see anything ingame, so its not really feasible. Yet.)