Author Topic: Encouraging Interaction: Quest Creation Tool  (Read 1662 times)

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Encouraging Interaction: Quest Creation Tool
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »
Recently, I've been thinking about non-war based ideas to encourage people to interact with each other and get them out of their cosy settlements. This is the first of the ideas that I've managed to get into a form to present as an cogent feature concept. This idea flows from the theory that to encourage increased interaction we also need to encourage increased travel - getting people to explore beyond the areas of the map where they hold settlements so they will meet and interact with strangers. This idea is to give players a simple tool to create quests for other players. By quests, I don't mean the typical RPG game-generated find Object X and return, then rinse and repeat. Rather, I mean putting it into the hands of the players and giving them the ability to create custom quests only limited by their imagination and the game mechanics.

The way this would work is pretty simple. The owner of every settlement would get the option to create quests. They would be like a poster nailed to the village gates, to a sign post, or to what ever (it's essential that the quest poster can be viewed from outside the settlement to bypass worries people have about letting strangers into settlements). The poster (quest description screen) would have a description of what the quest is (written by the player setting the quest) and the reward for completing the quest, which would likely be gold, soldiers, or perhaps a settlement or the hand of a son or daughter in marriage (or any other reward the player setting the quest can think of).

Once it's written and finished, this quest poster would then be nailed outside the settlement for passing characters to see. This would need some sort of map marker that would be visible at a similar range to battle markers (the whole idea being that it can be seen by characters who are just passing through the area). The quest marker acts as a lure to give passing characters a reward-based incentive to interact with the settlement owner. And it also creates incentives for people to send characters off across the map in order to find quests and, as a by-product of the travels, interact with new people.

And that's basically it. Quite a simple idea, but hopefully something that would encourage travel, interaction, and activity between strangers. Perhaps also with the added benefit of giving landless knights something to do, making the questing knight a viable option. The main things it would need are the creation of the quest description screen, a quest marker for the map, and perhaps some button for the quest-setter to deliver a quest reward once it's been been completed (to avoid the questing character needing to travel back to settlement where the quest was found).

The biggest question hanging over the idea is whether current game mechanics give players enough possibilities for things to set as objectives of quests. I think there's probably enough content in the game so far to allow it. Objectives could be things like "Go and locate some dungeons for me and report their locations"; "Hunt down and kill or capture this bandit"; "Go to realm X and put me into contact with their king"; "Raid me X number of thralls (or resources, etc)". Naturally, a quest system could be greatly enhanced by creating some new game assests as special objectives for them, but that would depend on how much Dev time was dedicated to it. But I think people could probably get pretty imaginative with thinking up objectives for quests even with the restrictions of the existing game mechanics.

There would also need to be a few safeguards built in to avoid frustrations. Such as if the player who set the quest goes inactive the quest disappears so that the world doesn't get cluttered by quests linked to inactive characters. I can't think of any other safeguards at the moment, but I expect someone else might.

Anyway, that's the idea. Feel free to support or shoot down as you see fit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:06:30 PM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Encouraging Interaction: Quest Creation Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
I like the idea. Simple and effective.

I would leave the quest reward to players as well. That leaves the option of betrayl.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
Great. It's always good to come up with a useful idea.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »
And since I am already working on a "map marker" code, this would be just one more similar thing.

So what it needs is a quest with text and reward offer, and a button that says "I accept this quest" (notice to the quest author, put name on list of quest runners).

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Yes, I think you've got it covered with those. I suppose the quest author will also need a button to declare "Quest Completed" when someone finishes it and claims the reward, so we don't just have quests persisting long after they've been run. But I imagine you've already thought of that.

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:22:02 AM »
I would call these "Bounties" and not quests. "Quest" sounds a little too generic hack n' slash to me.

I do strongly support this idea. It would not only give people more to do, it might make the economy of the game more interesting as well.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 02:57:45 AM »
I would call these "Bounties" and not quests. "Quest" sounds a little too generic hack n' slash to me.

I do strongly support this idea. It would not only give people more to do, it might make the economy of the game more interesting as well.

Bounty is too limiting in my opinion, it conjurers a pretty strong sub set of quest types. Perhaps it could simple be called tasks
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
Quests is absolutely fine with me.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
I'm setting this topic sticky and promoting it to "next planned addition" status.

Summary:

Players can create quests for other players, and reward them for completing them.

A quest is createdy by someone at a specific estate. It is visible without entering the settlement. It can be visible to members of a specific realm or to everyone. It has a description text and a text explaining the reward.

Characters can accept quests when they are nearby, and it will be marked on the quest that they are now on this quest. At any time afterwards, they can click a button that says "I have completed this quest", which will notify the quest owner.

The quest owner can accept completed quests, or refuse ("no, you didn't"). When he refuses, he can choose if the questing character can continue the quest, or is out. When he accepts, he can decide if other characters can continue on the quest, or if the quest is over.

Rewards need to be given by hand, this allows the reward to be anything you can imagine.

Quests are visible on the map.

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 05:16:35 AM »
I think this is going to be a boon to the game, both for experienced players and new player retention. As a new player, being able to look up some of these and try to get them accomplished may keep you busy even if your leige isn't being proactive in guiding you themselves.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
That is exactly what I hope it will accomplish. Also, a tool for lords to keep their knights busy and active, to decide if they are worthy of additional troops or an estate. I have two characters that would love to hand out estates, but not to people who go inactive a week later.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
Does it have instructions directing people to use gossip as a method of recourse if you are treated badly by the quest giver?  Seems obvious but anything to help promote gossip is good right?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »
It will have a built-in feedback system, so if you never get your reward, for example, other people on the quest can see it.

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 04:04:29 AM »
I was poking around in the quest system and found that, as far as I can tell, the system is now basically functional despite it still saying it is incomplete. What is still missing on these?

Also, at what range can others accept quests? Does everyone have to stop by the region it was created in?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 07:46:18 AM »
Yes, it is region-based. The parts that have to do with quest completion are not finished, and a bit of polishing is left.