Author Topic: Torture  (Read 1995 times)

Lann

• The Lost
    • View Profile
Torture
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
Hey everyone.  Alright so I've had an idea floating around my head for a while in regards to a delicate and pretty uncomfortable subject-- torture.  As players, if we capture other nobles, we can presumably execute them.  And a captured noble has essentially no say on where he's taken or what happens to him for as long as he's captured.  So if our characters can execute other captured characters-- what about brutality?  What would the community think if one of their characters was taken hostage and subjected to torture?  How best do you think such an arrangement should be carried out?

I ask because, let's face it, we all don't play nice people.  Some of us gravitate toward the savage bad-guy personas or have watched too many episodes of Game of Thrones and want to get our Ramsey Bolton on.   And with how the game mechanics have been designed, it is implied that if your character is captured, the captor can essentially do whatever they want, which leaves the door open to some... horrifying possibilities.

Personally, I'm of the persuasion that one should check with the victim player first before inflicting any damage.  I mean, there are torture methods that a First One can reasonably physically recover from:  beatings, cuttings, humiliation, certain dislocations or bone breaks.  However, there are those methods that a character CAN'T recover from or that are likely to leave permanent scars after the fact:  such as dismemberment, castration, rape, deep psychological torture, mangling, and paralysis.   And besides, even the lightest forms of torture that leave no permanent physical damage, often leave deep psychological scars a victim can't just shrug off.  You'd need the player behind those characters to be prepared to take the effects with them and roleplay off that should their character survive and be released. 

That's my perspective, but what do you guys think?  I know this is uncomfortable and a little creepy, but I think it's important we broach the subject as you never know what might happen or who might end up getting caught by who and what the captor character's morals are.  You never know what the player behind that character may think is acceptable for them to roleplay, and I'd like to try to prevent needless drama in the event someone attempts to start a torture session and the person behind the victim gets deeply put off. 

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
  • "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
Re: Torture
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
Battlemaster had it, so why not might&fealty? Sounds delicious! I believe that there should be different forms of torture. A kind of mild torture that's not very threatening to one's health but certainly very painful and unpleasant, to brutal torture that may end up maiming or killing the prisoner. You'd use the former to add some 'power' to your argument if you have a prisoner, and the latter if he is very stubborn in his beliefs, or if you are simply a cruel loon.

I think there should be permanent damage from heavy torture. After all, the captor has all power over your character, he can kill if he pleases to. Why ask consent for maiming someone?
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

FARevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
This suggestion has Abel's seal of approval.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
I don't see any need for a game mechanic.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »
I think it's mostly that people want the option for it to show up in the event logs.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »
Having some sort of button to push for it and log of it makes a lasting impression that RP can be built around.  It gives a date of the event also that can be looked at years later as a reminder for future RP

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
Additionally, if you as captor are torturing someone you have to tell them through messages and they can blatantly ignore you if they wish.

Lann

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:31:11 PM »

Well I wasn't really mentioning torture from a game mechanic point of view or asking for a mechanic to be introduced to allow for torture.  That's why this topic is under the Conduct section of the forum and not the "Creating Might and Fealty" section.   Not that I'm against such a mechanic.  Hell, it might even be fun, but I know Tom has other things to do.  This is a thread more about how players feel about its use from a roleplay standpoint.  This is more about "what would you do if x character captured your character and wanted to simulate a brutal castration?"  Would you roll with it and play along or would you find that offensive/irritating/ godmodding/ an overreach of another player's power over your own?     

Battlemaster had it, so why not might&fealty? Sounds delicious! I believe that there should be different forms of torture. A kind of mild torture that's not very threatening to one's health but certainly very painful and unpleasant, to brutal torture that may end up maiming or killing the prisoner. You'd use the former to add some 'power' to your argument if you have a prisoner, and the latter if he is very stubborn in his beliefs, or if you are simply a cruel loon.

I think there should be permanent damage from heavy torture. After all, the captor has all power over your character, he can kill if he pleases to. Why ask consent for maiming someone?

The only reason I ask is because there are no actual game mechanics that limit someone once they escape or are released by a captor.  If I captured your character and decided to go with the disgusting castration example above, without your consent, you as a player could very well ignore that roleplay once your character is released and have your character conceive sons and daughters.  Also, whereas a player whose character is executed has no power over the aftermath as-- well their character is dead, a character who is tortured and then escapes or is released has to deal with the aftermath of physical and psychological scars.  Some players may not want to roleplay a character going through such issues, so this is really just to gauge the public and see what you'd consider 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable'.  It's to see whether you'd prefer to be asked first or whatnot. 

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:37 PM »
People who don't want to roleplay it don't. The very fact of making it a mechanic is to include it into the game so non-RP-ish people cannot simply ignore it, as I said before.

Additionally, torturing is AND was a horribly thing to do and undergo (16th-18th century, and not the Middle Ages, is THE time for creative torture, and even then it's mostly exaggerated) and the very severe effects that could result of heavy torture should be an interesting mechanic. Your captor decides over the health of your character, but so far only in black'n white options. Either you let your prisoner live or you kill him. Including torture as an option, in light (mostly for persuading) and heavy (punishment, cruel persuading, crippling on purpose, chance to accidentally kill) forms, could create a lot of new interesting interaction, ESPECIALLY when it is enforced by game mechanics and not reliant on the 'good spirit' of both players.

I think that, by now, we should've learned that relying on that good spirit is only possible with enough OOC communication. This seems to fall in line with an issue I've been thinking about recently, that the lack of mechanics prevents proper interaction from taking place, since only a select group of players is willing to roleplay interactions and events that could otherwise be game mechanics, and thus available to those not interested in RP'ing.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:34:11 PM »
There is a wounds mechanic in the game, so torture could, at the least, cause wounds to a character.

Lann

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
That'd be pretty cool.  I wouldn't mind roleplaying a character who gets a leg permanently mangled so he has to walk on a cane or something.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
That'd be pretty cool.  I wouldn't mind roleplaying a character who gets a leg permanently mangled so he has to walk on a cane or something.

Would you, however, RP a Theon Greyjoy?

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »
Definitely!

Lann

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »

Would you, however, RP a Theon Greyjoy?

Oh hell yes I would.   :D

Tom could take my character's ability to have children if he gets the same thing that happens to him in fact and I'd be down!  I love those kinds of tortured, pathetic souls that have had so much shit happen to them that every ounce of their will and identity has be stripped to the point of them being shambling replicas of their former selves. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:37:10 PM by Lann »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »
We can always add negative, non-inheritable character traits. But for the moment, you can simply put it into your description and roleplay it.

The no-children thing is simple as well, just don't accept relationships that include sex.