Author Topic: Aggression without Interaction  (Read 2458 times)

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
Re: Aggression without Interaction
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 02:31:58 AM »
I think an attack message should exist. Hell, we get notified when someone ENTERS a region, why not a "Your estate <blah> is under attack! message? You won't know whose attacking, just that some shit is going down. Though I feel an attack message will help a lot - at LEAST with a prompt people don't need to open ANOTHER tab, click create convo, pick you from a list of 10-500 char names which is a massive pain in the ass on my phone - and send the message. A little box that shows up would help a ton, even if you just type "We claim this land for <realm>!" Its hard to believe someone couldn't send a lendan message or a messenger or at least a fucking smoke signal...

"Hey guys, what's with all the black smoke over Arescod?"

"...Dunno. Meh, probably some Grand Barbecuing Championship. They have a lot of weird competitions."

Arescod has been lost to the Lowland Confederation and no longer belongs to Ascalon.

"What the f-"
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 10:58:28 AM »
In the new message system, it would be easy to just send a message to the settlement owner and/or those attacked.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
That would be amazing Tom. Also,

http://chat.mightandfealtyfans.org/

You should visit your own IRC some time. :) Many antics ensue, and much planning of invasions, religion, betrayal, discussion of suggested features, ETC. Just me, the Ceres family, and De Renais at the moment, Weaver's afk, and some others are here, but its usually pretty active. Cheers.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 11:31:16 PM »
I don't do IRC, sorry.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »
I think an attack message should exist. Hell, we get notified when someone ENTERS a region, why not a "Your estate <blah> is under attack! message? You won't know whose attacking, just that some shit is going down. Though I feel an attack message will help a lot - at LEAST with a prompt people don't need to open ANOTHER tab, click create convo, pick you from a list of 10-500 char names which is a massive pain in the ass on my phone - and send the message. A little box that shows up would help a ton, even if you just type "We claim this land for <realm>!" Its hard to believe someone couldn't send a lendan message or a messenger or at least a fucking smoke signal...

"Hey guys, what's with all the black smoke over Arescod?"

"...Dunno. Meh, probably some Grand Barbecuing Championship. They have a lot of weird competitions."

Arescod has been lost to the Lowland Confederation and no longer belongs to Ascalon.

"What the f-"

But you get an event when you settlement is attacked.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
Then I guess the problem has been that pretty much everything in the west has palisades, so people just walk in and start takeovers.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 12:09:27 PM »
You also get a message when someone starts to take control.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Yeah, that one I've gotten plenty of. :)

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
I have to ask directly - would you feel any better if some strictly formal, ceremonial message would be sent before attack? I mean, if someone decided to attack you, is much stronger than you so he is sure that you cannot defend,  does talk have any meaning?

What I want to say, talks make sense if you can negotiate something, offer something more valuable than plundering to attacker, threaten with something - anything available on the other side of balance. But If you cannot offer anything that they cannot take by sheer force anyhow - few empty phrases would mean little.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »
I have to ask directly - would you feel any better if some strictly formal, ceremonial message would be sent before attack? I mean, if someone decided to attack you, is much stronger than you so he is sure that you cannot defend,  does talk have any meaning?

What I want to say, talks make sense if you can negotiate something, offer something more valuable than plundering to attacker, threaten with something - anything available on the other side of balance. But If you cannot offer anything that they cannot take by sheer force anyhow - few empty phrases would mean little.

If you are talking outcomes sure. If you are talking expectations and experiance, then you are way off. People are much more likely to accept and even enjoy shitty situations if there is interaction.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »

People are much more likely to accept and even enjoy shitty situations if there is interaction.

Many people, yes. Some, though, seem to not care for any interaction, they don't accept it even when they are attacked side. Some, on the other side do not care much about how other side feels, they can do whatever they want in game  while fully ignoring the other side.

Some simply have not time to compose message they feel to be good enough.

This looks as a cost of too much freedom. Buttons would help.

If you would not be able to attack anyone before formal declaration of war, there would always be some interaction, pressing war button is not less worthy than sending purely formal message of intention, while everybody would have to do that, and at least nobody would feel like being ignored.

Velrun

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 02:05:21 AM »
You had family in my realm that could have acted as a go between, which is exactly what you DID do once you realised that I wasn't going to lie down and play the game your way. Your desire to claim land out stripped your manners. I failed to see why I should post messages and create "interaction" when it appeared to me you were more interested in the mechanics of holding land then engaging in discussion, only resorting to negotiation when it was apparent that land WOULD be missed and that I was more then willing and able to do something about it. Had you wanted interaction, had you wanted rational discussion between our characters, YOU could have started that. Instead you pissed off my character by removing land from his sub-realm, then insisted that because it was peaceful I should just accept it and move on. Had you approached me, and given that before your absence your family had MANY interactions with mine, which is why you had that land in the first place, I would have assisted in reclaiming. I have plenty of troops you could have used to regain entry. No, you decided on the quick path, the easy path, the solo path. You decided to act first and ask permission after. Now I am reclaiming the land I once granted to you, your families right to it is rescinded. I will find characters to manage it that are at least willing to admit to a mistake rather then try and brush it all off with excuses and half arsed logic.

You can see all that as OOC if you want. For me its totally IC. Your characters snubbed my characters Authority. Tried to lay a claim higher then my own on land I granted you the right to hold in the first place, and refused to accept in any real sense the error of their actions. I've got Orion on my southern border just WAITING to see a sign of weakness so he can invade Redgorge. Fraro will be damned if he will provide such an excuse for the sake of our family.

Aly_Fontaine

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 02:05:32 AM »
I've been away for six months, came back to see if any of my estates or holdings remained or any legacy. Still had one charger kicking so revived her and took over three defunct estates, their lord was sleeping. Just trotting between the three gathering light infantry. Suddenly, 500 ascalonians descend and take my estates without a word. I've sent six messages to five characters that I am willing to negotiate but it's just a joke now. They blocked an area so I had to fight when I tried to move. What's the flapping point?

I've renamed my remaining town. You'll laugh.

Daleborn

• All the Dales!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 02:34:08 AM »
I've been away for six months, came back to see if any of my estates or holdings remained or any legacy. Still had one charger kicking so revived her and took over three defunct estates, their lord was sleeping. Just trotting between the three gathering light infantry. Suddenly, 500 ascalonians descend and take my estates without a word. I've sent six messages to five characters that I am willing to negotiate but it's just a joke now. They blocked an area so I had to fight when I tried to move. What's the flapping point?

I've renamed my remaining town. You'll laugh.
Is it Ascalon go Home?
Born of the Dales, 'nuff said.
My fanfic: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11968618/1/

Aly_Fontaine

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 02:48:31 AM »
Hah!