Author Topic: Propaganda (ramp-up to war)  (Read 4267 times)

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
Re: Propaganda (ramp-up to war)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 02:01:41 AM »
I think this would be better impacting on the casualty rate in battles. With a hated enemy there may be more deaths (including amongst First Ones) than the norm and correspondingly fewer wounded.

It should also be applicable to cultures and settlements as well as realms.

Lann

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:29 PM »
I like it.  I'm all for propaganda being necessary to rile up the peasant-folk.   Are we, as First Ones, charismatic?  Yes.  But I don't necessarily think the peasants should be mindless slaves either-- at least not totally. 

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »
Basically, this change would make it harder to start wars and I do not see why it is fun.
Not to mention that minor feuds like raids and border skirmishes will fade out of existence.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
Why you think the effect would be so strong?

Let's quantify it. Let's say that if you run a reasonable amount of propaganda before a war, you will get a 10% morale bonus. If you run the maximum possible, you will get a 20% bonus. On morale, not on fighting strength. Higher morale will result in slightly better combat results and fewer losses, especially reduced routing. But for a bonus that, on the battlefield, will make maybe a 5% difference, you would not go to war?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 11:08:36 PM »
Why you think the effect would be so strong?

Let's quantify it. Let's say that if you run a reasonable amount of propaganda before a war, you will get a 10% morale bonus. If you run the maximum possible, you will get a 20% bonus. On morale, not on fighting strength. Higher morale will result in slightly better combat results and fewer losses, especially reduced routing. But for a bonus that, on the battlefield, will make maybe a 5% difference, you would not go to war?

After being against this, I have changed my position since we are talking morale. It makes sense to me, and seems to be a good balance for effect. The only thing I would consider is if there is some sort of civilian effect as well, but perhaps that will be massively abused.
He who was once known as Blackfyre