Author Topic: Joining battles inside walls  (Read 1660 times)

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
Joining battles inside walls
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
So this bug is apparently still not fixed?

http://mightandfealty.com/en/queue/battle/7317

was between two of us, inside a wall (manned with militia, even). Troops were 210 v 114. Now it's 4 v 1, with 3 characters coming from outside the walls. Troops now 210 v 490, and 150 of my mercs are about to disappear because 3 chars abusing this bug pushed the battle resolution past the start of the week. Awesome.

Tweeznax

• View Profile
Re: Joining battles inside walls
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
My understanding is that currently defending troops get the bonus from walls even when the attackers are inside. So this shouldn't matter. If and when Tom fixes that, hopefully he also makes sure the defensive bonuses apply appropriately to the portion of the attackers who ARE outside.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the bug he's talking about is that you're able to join a battle inside the walls from outside walls that you'd not otherwise be able to enter. The problem here, is that to join the battle, you SHOULD have to enter the settlement somehow.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
Ah, I see. The ones outside the walls should only be able to engage the militia and not nobles hiding within, unless they are set to defend. Is that right?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
Indeed.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
was between two of us, inside a wall (manned with militia, even). Troops were 210 v 114. Now it's 4 v 1, with 3 characters coming from outside the walls. Troops now 210 v 490, and 150 of my mercs are about to disappear because 3 chars abusing this bug pushed the battle resolution past the start of the week. Awesome.

I joined the battle today.  Sucks about the mercs, but had no idea, not that it should change my characters stance on the battle.

The battle is listed as: A battle near Oseuten which tells me it is outside the walls.

So here is a question we should try to figure out, was the initial battle within the walls out outside of them?  Did you start the battle against someone outside?

If you started the battle against someone outside, it would bring you outside the walls and then open for attack.

FARevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
he indeed started the battle OUTSIDE the settlement

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »
No, it was definitely inside. One character forced his way into the settlement, and my character entered, hired mercs, and engaged.

Are battles inside towns called "battle of [place]"? I think that's only when the walls are involved, which they shouldn't be in this case. If I'm wrong, then the location of the battle must have changed when you joined, because it definitely began inside the walls.

I also seem to have found a merc bug: having mercs mixed with regular troops appears to remove the ability to manipulate normal soldiers by groups. Other chars on this account are fine, but the merc leader cannot see any group besides the name of the merc band.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:50:34 AM »
Hmm.  There was is no leave settlement button, so I agree.  Unless the guy who went thru the walls was traveling again trying to leave and that travel took place right as you were preparing to engage (thus accidently putting it outside the walls) then others joining from outside may have done it like you say.

How can we figure it out?

FARevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:12:29 AM »
Valast, that's exactly what happened.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:41:56 AM »
When Taticus arrived, there were people in both sides of the wall involved. Perhaps the player of Alenious would know more since he was calling the shots for the battle, but so far as I know he avoids the forum.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 08:50:45 AM »
When you are inside and attack someone outside, you are placed outside. That's called a sortie. It's in the manual. Maybe that is what happened?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
When you are inside and attack someone outside, you are placed outside. That's called a sortie. It's in the manual. Maybe that is what happened?

No. I didn't check when I engaged, partly cause I was in a rush and partly because in this war I am just following orders, but when I logged in latter to see where Valast's character was the initial two participants were inside the settlement, the rest of us outside.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »

We were definitely both inside. I got a event for the other char leaving the settlement after the battle completed.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 11:23:26 PM »
This is still an issue. I'm currently being attacked by a whole swath of nobles, and ironically I can't even contact them because they're outside the walls. So much for the strategic value of fortifying a beleaguered settlement.