Author Topic: The Kingdom of Ascalon  (Read 47103 times)

Tweeznax

• View Profile
Re: The Kingdom of Ascalon
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
I would have to say my bet is on the centrally controlled characters unless the many-player realm is super dedicated. I was impressed with the nobles of Arrakesh, Ganthor pushed pretty hard to coordinate. Ultimately though of course each individual character and player is going to have vastly reduced accuracy, timing (big one), and visibility.

If the big-bloc players win handily,maybe what is needed is a corruption-style mechanic to make one player hordes less effective.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
there is already a corruption mechanic.
i think you all think i have more lands than i do :p

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »
If the big-bloc players win handily,maybe what is needed is a corruption-style mechanic to make one player hordes less effective.

Like a use it or loose it mechanic.  So that if soldiers are not used in some way over a period of time they begin to 1. get soft (loose training or exp) 2. start to melt back into the population (just as if they belonged to a slumberblighted lord).

I was just looking at a slumberblighted settlement today that has over 1000 warriors in it.  Over 400 of them are heavy infantry.

Sure wish spies could help me sneak in!

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
the former D'serrai lands are full of massive ammounts of troops yes. would be very costly to take them.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2015, 12:02:47 AM »
the former D'serrai lands are full of massive ammounts of troops yes. would be very costly to take them.

No, you just have to be smart about how you do it, there is a simple way to do so without losing a single solider.

there is already a corruption mechanic.
i think you all think i have more lands than i do :p

Prospectors allow anyone to know exactly how many settlements you hold, not sure if anyone has bothered to check.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2015, 12:58:34 AM »
There's a way to pass through palisades without permissions and without fighting?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2015, 01:00:54 AM »
I would have to say my bet is on the centrally controlled characters unless the many-player realm is super dedicated.

Or the one player is simply WRONG. Everyone seems to overlook the simple fact that good teams are much more effective than individuals not because of some game-mechanics, but because several brains are smarter than one.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2015, 02:00:59 AM »
Or the one player is simply WRONG. Everyone seems to overlook the simple fact that good teams are much more effective than individuals not because of some game-mechanics, but because several brains are smarter than one.

Actually Tom that's situational at best. With the average person, that's not very likely to happen. The one person will win more often than several people in a game of strategic wits, simply because when it comes to strategy, it is always better to have a consistent strategy, even if it isn't the best one, rather than several competing ones. You see, a single person has to only have smarts. A group of people have to be both smart AND have good teamwork. If they lack either one, the single person will roll over them.

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2015, 03:15:27 AM »
Yeah, it's sorta like the weakest link. Sure if that one player is just dumb, the many will win. But if ONE or a small percentage of the many are dumb, not into it, or even just busy... That's going to hurt. I hope I'm wrong about this. I want it to be the other way around, but I'm not sure if it is.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2015, 08:30:35 AM »
I think that whether the advantage lies with the single player, or the group depends on the scale of the situation / conflict.

There are limits on what a single person can do, so eventually they get swamped, wheras in a large conflict a team can work better as they can share the responsibility better.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm speaking about TEAMwork, not ten people randomly going about things. Of course you need to organize.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
I'm speaking about TEAMwork, not ten people randomly going about things. Of course you need to organize.

Yes, and I'm saying that most people aren't very good at that, especially players from the US where individualism is considered more important than the health of the group.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2015, 11:49:08 PM »
That might be true.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
Total diplomatic breakdown between Lord Stonedman and King Roran of Arescod.

We are now at war with Ascalon and..... ???? i guess we shall see how many of their allies join in the fun :)

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2015, 12:58:30 AM »
Yeah, I don't have too much time to dedicate into the game right now, nevermind diplomacy. I'm curious how this is going to end.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.