Author Topic: Mercenaries are coming  (Read 1104 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Mercenaries are coming
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »
I have finished the mercenaries code and will introduce them into the game very soon.

Before doing so, however, I need to rebalance the gold everyone carries, so there will be a short "hyperinflation", meaning all gold values will get reduced by a factor I have yet to determine.

Gold drives mercenaries. You need to pay them once when you hire them, once every week you have them and once before every battle. If you can't pay, they will leave you immediately, even abandoning you in battle. That is why a proper gold amount is so important.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Mercenaries are coming
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
Mercenaries are now active, after a gold rebalance.

These hired swords can change a battle, or a war. With enough gold, you can summon an army where no army was before. The effects of this change on the game are wide-reaching, not just because of the military effect.

Gold is required to hire mercenaries and to pay them. A lot of gold. And there are only two ways to get gold (a third will come in the future, see below).

The first is to loot settlements. The enemies or your own, doesn't matter. Yes, you can loot your own settlements. Think of it as tax collection by force. Looting poor villages will not give you much gold, in fact it is possible you don't find any gold at all. If you want to make gold from looting, you need to target the rich towns.

The second way to get gold is from dungeons. With this change, dungeon exploring has a purpose beyond the fun and roleplaying, and there is an incentive to do it well.

I plan to add a peaceful tax collection to the game, but it is down on the TODO list because you do have a way to collect taxes from your own settlements via looting. However, you should also have a way to do it peacefully and where your success doesn't depend on the number of soldiers, etc. So it will come, but in the future.

For now, I will keep track of how mercenaries are used, and keep on balancing it. Please post to the forums anything you spot that you think needs attention.