Author Topic: Bandits  (Read 2998 times)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Bandits
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
Looting is greater inside then out.

That's okay, I'm over it, beside I get tired of hearing non relevant answers.

It wasn't my town anyway so I didn't bother joining the 2nd attack.

Yes but in all likely hood, their army will be reduced to such a point that looting is largely irrelevant. If that is not the case, then I see no reason they shouldn't be able to continue.

This is much less annoying then the case of having to fight constant battles for days to end a stubborn characters takeover attempts.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 12:19:28 PM »
For the sake of people wanting to claim a winner, couldn't you also use "no men left on the field at the end of battle" as criteria to determine that someone was defeated?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Calpurnius

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »
You have a point there in that defeats should have consequences. Now the thing is that the game doesn't actually calculate or understand that you were defeated, but criteria such as "no men left at end of battle" could be turned into "forced outside of settlement", why not?

That would work very well so inactive nobles in regions can at least be pushed outside, recent example had sleeping player return and immediately start takeovers. Realm I was in even had to offer bounties to have them killed or captured to prevent takeover from eventually happening. I believe there were at least 6 people fighting several battles to get them removed.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
The problem with the "defeated people leave the settlement" approach is this:

Someone attacks your settlement and wins the first battle. They are now inside. You fight them street-to-street until you give up and run away.

vs.

Someone attacks your settlement and wins the first battle. You are immediately forced out of your settlement. You might think it doesn't matter much, you have enter permissions (how else did you get inside in the first place) and it's just one click. But you are now outside, and everyone can attack you, and you have no protection and if you are in battle, the enter action is not available.

That is what I mean when I say: "Think of the edge cases". Think about the unintended consequences of such a rule!

Calpurnius

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
My original concern was just for bandits, hoping they could be separate from the full range of action characters.  My comments did not apply to active nobles, and for the reasons you describe, I can easily accept it not applying to everyone because of the many different possible scenarios. But adding it to inactive characters would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:56:49 PM by Calpurnius »

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
You could also simply base it on relative fighting strength after battle. If one side is 50% weaker, for instance, they are forced out of the gates.