Author Topic: Bandits  (Read 3212 times)

Calpurnius

Bandits
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
Here goes my rant on bandits. A neighboring settlement was being attacked and  raided, I went to assist and with double the soldiers the bandit was easily defeated, over half his troops killed and him wounded. I would think his next action would be to leave, since the odds are now 4 to 1  .... instead he remains "inside" the settlement and raids again taking slaves.  I become upset that the player has no investment in the bandit, so doesn't care if all the troops are killed, he easily gets another bandit with fresh troops. I strongly feel the bandit should be easier to capture or at least "kicked out" of a fortified settlement.. instead of remaining inside causing more damage, with no cost to the person controlling him.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Bandits
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »
Bandits are deliberately not supposed to be something that you invest in. They exist for you to create chaos and have some fun knowing you're pestering another player.

Once they take a significant loss, it's usually easier to just let them be killed off, taking whatever they can with then in the process.

They get made available, taken, given random trips, attacked, killed, and recycled. Such is the life cycle of a bandit.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Calpurnius

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »
That is all well and good, but when defeated they should at least be kicked out of the settlement and travel somewhere else to cause trouble. My complaint is they choose to stay beyond normal reasoning.

They should not be allowed to stay inside after defeat.

that is my complaint. they get to continue without consequence.

The victor should be able to accomplish something.
If they are allowed to stay inside, then capture should be easier in the 2nd battle.

If it is better to kill of the troops to get another bandit, then let them die easier in defeat. Give them a 2 hour cool down before they can get a new bandit, so someone else can get the bandit that arrives in the bandit pool. At least the loss of playing the bandit will cause them to react normally to events.

I'm okay with everything up to the point they don't leave the settlement.

I have also witnessed a bandit with 100 troops attacking a fortified city with 300 troops behind walls. After the bandit is killed off, I imagine the person will be there when the new bandit arrives in bandit pool, and simply does it again until the troops in the city are killed down.

my definition of a bandit would be someone who steals and flees, to avoid capture. Not to fight battles for realm, or attack castles when they know they will be defeated.
 ( I think those are called mercenaries  )
I do like the idea of bandits when used as a bandit.  Bandits usually steal and run, they try to get away.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:19:51 PM by Calpurnius »

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
I don't think the same player should be able to re-play a bandit after it dies until someone else plays them awhile. That way everyone gets a chance and there is a definite penalty for dying.

Calpurnius

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
I don't think the same player should be able to re-play a bandit after it dies until someone else plays them awhile. That way everyone gets a chance and there is a definite penalty for dying.

I have said that many times before ... timer that prevents the same player taking another bandit immediately.   Other people will occasionally check to see if one is available, but the person who purposely kills off his bandit knows a new one will appear very soon.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »
You have some misconception about how it works.

Firstly, when your bandit dies, you don't immediately get to choose a new one.

Secondly, bandits spawn randomly. If you want to attack the same spot repeatedly, you probably have to march for a very long time.

Calpurnius

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »
how long is the wait before a new bandit appears in the pool ? Seems odd everyone is so eager to kill off their bandits, while others complain they never get to see one available. .... and he didn't have to move at all to raid again, less then 30 minutes after battle, no traveling involved.

My complaint is he should be kicked from settlement, or if he wants to kill off his bandit, then let the bandit die easier.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
At least a couple days from my experience with a couple bandit.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »
My complaint is he should be kicked from settlement,

This is a seperate thing that we can discuss in a seperate topic, if you want. Because it should be generic - if you lose a battle inside a settlement, should the game kick you out? Consider edge cases - owner of the settlement, his friends and allies, etc.

Calpurnius

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
I was just referring to bandit characters being kicked .... not members of any realm, no liege or vassal, own no regions.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »
I was just referring to bandit characters being kicked .... not members of any realm, no liege or vassal, own no regions.

Makes no sense. As much as possible, same rules for everyone.

Calpurnius

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »
What doesn't make sense is that the bandit is completely defeated, yet decides to stay with 40 troops and loot some more, and I can't prevent it with 300 troops.

I have always allowed anyone I defeated in battle a chance to leave. But if this is how they react when you allow them a chance to leave, then the next time I have a battle with someone, I will immediately launch another attack. And if they complain about not having a chance to leave, I will refer them to this thread.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:18:27 PM by Calpurnius »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 02:20:50 AM »
What doesn't make sense is that the bandit is completely defeated, yet decides to stay with 40 troops and loot some more, and I can't prevent it with 300 troops.

I have always allowed anyone I defeated in battle a chance to leave. But if this is how they react when you allow them a chance to leave, then the next time I have a battle with someone, I will immediately launch another attack. And if they complain about not having a chance to leave, I will refer them to this thread.

Which is why after battle regrouping is active. Besides they don't actually need to be inside the settlement to loot anyway.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Calpurnius

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 03:12:11 AM »
Looting is greater inside then out.

That's okay, I'm over it, beside I get tired of hearing non relevant answers.

It wasn't my town anyway so I didn't bother joining the 2nd attack.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:17:38 AM by Calpurnius »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »
You have a point there in that defeats should have consequences. Now the thing is that the game doesn't actually calculate or understand that you were defeated, but criteria such as "no men left at end of battle" could be turned into "forced outside of settlement", why not?