Author Topic: Elysium  (Read 8547 times)

Ratharing

• View Profile
Re: Elysium
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »
It would help if there were unique resources of some kind on the map to fight over.  Limited enough that trading would be extremely difficult at best.

I see no need to discourage trading. That is the shape of tribute and submission too. If you made local "spices" produced on small regions that granted differentiated productivity bonus according to distance, it would certainly add some flavor.
In practice it would mean declaring which provinces produce said goods (silk, spice, amber, etc) and which would benefit from them, manually setting different percentage bonuses. I can help in the non-technical part if you find that too much work.

We have metal as very scarce and wood as scarce, but I don't see people understand it very much. One of my settlements has 20% or so efficiency in the blacksmith and it makes him almost useless. If I were a little bigger with that character, I would certainly go and find metal by force somehow.

Now, if you only could rouse your poor settlement's warriors for a large but temporal mobilization to raid for metal...  :P

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
I see no need to discourage trading.

Yes, this is true. I didn't mean to imply trading should be discouraged, but it should be at least as hard as warfare. If it isn't, then for most characters they are going to pick trade. Right now, I see trading to acquire resources as being FAR cheaper and less risky than war.  In fact, in a lot of cases, even just sitting on a shortage would be preferable to starting a conflict.  The "peace game" is way too easy compared to the "war game."  I think something is needed to shake that up, especially because some players want to play good guy characters who simply aren't going to start a war of aggression without very good cause. This should be made into a challenge in and of itself.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »
Maybe improve both the damage and benefits granted by looting? I'm new to M&F, but I've seen comments both in this forum and IC on how little impact looting causes...

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »
The main reason is that people game it. You add something that forces people to war, they will declare war on a friend just to satisfy the condition. Or they even wage a fake war, with an agreement to only kill troops but not take land.

I don't see the issue with that last one. Fighting is fighting, even if no land is taken. Sometimes so-called "fake" wars are the most fun, as can be seen on East Island currently in Battlemaster.