Author Topic: 3D Prototype  (Read 7343 times)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Prototype
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
That gets close, but it's 5500 polygons. Imagine a city in this style, it would probably be 50,000 polygons. 2 cities and 20 villages on screen = 210,000 polygons. That's a lot.

What I would need is something like that in low-poly (and with many more houses, of course, that image is not even a village).

I posted a little more about what I need here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/villages-towns-and-cities-for-3d-maps-medieval-style.294723/

The requirement leaves only two real options, make your own low poly models, or find something like I posted, and run them through some LOD systems to provide the required low poly's. It would be very difficult to find models which such low poly counts unless they are custom made.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
Yes, it is very difficult. I'm hoping someone had another strategy game and made such models, but so far my search has turned up empty.

Custom-made is another option. I have, in fact, dabbled a little in it. Problem is textures. I can model a little, but textures I can't make. And the process of high-poly modelling, rendering and applying the result as a texture is a lot of work.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:22 PM »
Yes, it is very difficult. I'm hoping someone had another strategy game and made such models, but so far my search has turned up empty.

Custom-made is another option. I have, in fact, dabbled a little in it. Problem is textures. I can model a little, but textures I can't make. And the process of high-poly modelling, rendering and applying the result as a texture is a lot of work.

You are in the same boat as me then, textures are my weakness. Plenty of other games have these sorts of assets, Mount and Blade for example, but I have so far been unable to turn up assets for them that are available for use.

www.blendswap.com/blends/view/73631
http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/medieval-city-53222.html
http://opengameart.org/content/medieval-building-tiles (isometric but includes the 3D models)
http://opengameart.org/content/modular-medieval-building-pack

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:14:01 PM by De-Legro »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 02:31:50 AM »
The 2nd link I actually have somewhere, the problem with it is that it's one mesh - very hard to pick it into pieces.

The others are individual houses, which is useless for me. For the settlement pictures I put together villages and towns from individual houses, and fuck it's a lot of work to do that!

I really need one model that's a village, one that's a town, etc. -- probably I'll have to order them from someone, but the budget for that is zero. :-(

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 03:54:00 AM »
The 2nd link I actually have somewhere, the problem with it is that it's one mesh - very hard to pick it into pieces.

The others are individual houses, which is useless for me. For the settlement pictures I put together villages and towns from individual houses, and fuck it's a lot of work to do that!

I really need one model that's a village, one that's a town, etc. -- probably I'll have to order them from someone, but the budget for that is zero. :-(

Are the individual models what you are after though? It is much more likely someone in the community can take existing assets and create the village/town/city combinations then find someone that can make them from scratch.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
I'm not really sure how to go about it. The thing with individual models is that in a dense city, you waste a lot of polygons on walls that are never visible because houses run into each other, for example. A custom-built city model would also optimize on this factor. Finally, I don't need photorealism. I'm looking for a representation of a city or town or village, not a perfectly realistic one.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
I'm not really sure how to go about it. The thing with individual models is that in a dense city, you waste a lot of polygons on walls that are never visible because houses run into each other, for example. A custom-built city model would also optimize on this factor. Finally, I don't need photorealism. I'm looking for a representation of a city or town or village, not a perfectly realistic one.

Is there a strategy game who's representation of cities is something close to what you want? What I would do is take the individual models, import them into something like blender and arrange them, and then use blenders tools to reduce and remove all the unseen walls and parts etc for a final combined village model. If that still isn't sufficient it is possible to make further reductions and removals by hand.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »
I'm actually experimenting with a free trial of City Engine right now, but I can't get the fucker to run on my system, it's throwing unhelpful error messages.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »
I'm actually experimenting with a free trial of City Engine right now, but I can't get the fucker to run on my system, it's throwing unhelpful error messages.

Nice, I've seen people get good results with that, but never tried it myself

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »
Nice, I've seen people get good results with that, but never tried it myself

Yes, it looks nice and from what I can see it will export one model with one texture atlas, so it would be exactly what I need.

But I can't get it to work.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 12:37:46 AM »
Yes, it looks nice and from what I can see it will export one model with one texture atlas, so it would be exactly what I need.

But I can't get it to work.

What OS? I am about to try it now on windows

EDIT

No apparently I won't, cause my Intel i5 processor is supposedly not supported.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:45:49 AM by De-Legro »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
I'm trying on OS X. On my iMac at home. I could try my MacBook Air, but I'm not sure it will satisfy the system requirements, though it does surprise me with its performance.

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »
Just want to chime in on how beautiful this looks. Being able to see the world in 3D really livens it up.

Valast

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
Wish I knew more to help...  I have thousands of $ in software here at work and no idea how to use much of it.

Archicad, Autocad, Revit, 3ds Max, Autodesk Inventor.  I could draw you full sets of building plans on exactly how to construct a castle lol... but do not even know what a low poly is.

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
  • "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
You're an architect? We learned to draw basic stuff with AutoCad at school.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.