Author Topic: 3D Prototype  (Read 8387 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
3D Prototype
« on: February 01, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »
I've never given up the dream of moving Might & Fealty into a standalone game with 3D view and great graphics and all that.

So here is a new prototype of a map viewer, one of the most important parts of the game. Does not include settlements, roads, bridges, etc. and still has a lot of problems, but just as a tech demo, it's not bad.

During the prototype phase, these links will always be valid and always contain the latest version, so whenever I update it, just download from these links, I will not post them again every time:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:28:56 PM by Tom »

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: 3D Prototype
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
For those totally lost when it loads, use the arrow keys on your keyboard (if you have one).

Doesn't look perfectly accurate and you can't see the entire map, but it's still pretty neat.

Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Theronna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
Ooh! I like it!  ;D

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »
You can now download an improved version that does include settlements (it loads them live from the server, so names and size (based on population) is correct).

Navigation is shown at the bottom of the screen, you can rotate with the mouse as well. Lots of placeholder graphics and such, of course, at this early stage.

Downloads here:
Yes, the map is not 100% accurate. I am already using it to clean up the actual in-game geo-data, however. For example, until now the altitude (what, you didn't know that every region in the game has an altitude? ;-) ) of the lakes was 0 - same as the ocean. Now they have proper altitude values.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »
Heh! Thanks, its great to see the terrain that is being fought over!

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
Continued work, replacing the stock terrain textures with my own. This is a 3D view of the lonely mountains, towards the alnajaf in the background, coi wood just visible to the left.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
It looks fucking epic  :o  Knowing what's where and how it actually looks makes everything way cooler.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »
That does look pretty cool!
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

FARevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
dat map! ;)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:14:29 AM »
I'm not perfectly happy, I must admit, mostly because I lack models for settlements and really good textures for the terrain. If anyone knows where I can find those, let me know.

Theronna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »
I could try to do something about settlement models with gimp. I don't guarantee pretty, though.  :P
I have two ideas for new forum signatures as well. Might as well, try this while on it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:33:53 AM by Theronna »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »
I'm not perfectly happy, I must admit, mostly because I lack models for settlements and really good textures for the terrain. If anyone knows where I can find those, let me know.

Not free ones unfortunately. The Unity store has some very good packages but obviously they require money and will also never cover all the types of buildings in the game.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Where in the Unity store? For the models I want, I would be willing to pay money. Remember I can't use individual buildings, I need one model that is a town or a village or a whole city. Or at least a significant part (city blocks would be ok). I need low poly because there can be 20 villages and 5 towns on the screen at the same time.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »
Where in the Unity store? For the models I want, I would be willing to pay money. Remember I can't use individual buildings, I need one model that is a town or a village or a whole city. Or at least a significant part (city blocks would be ok). I need low poly because there can be 20 villages and 5 towns on the screen at the same time.

Ahh that does limit it more. For that I would generally create my own model from high poly elements. Would something like this suffice?

www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-of-village-pack/706188
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
That gets close, but it's 5500 polygons. Imagine a city in this style, it would probably be 50,000 polygons. 2 cities and 20 villages on screen = 210,000 polygons. That's a lot.

What I would need is something like that in low-poly (and with many more houses, of course, that image is not even a village).

I posted a little more about what I need here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/villages-towns-and-cities-for-3d-maps-medieval-style.294723/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:22:03 PM by Tom »