Author Topic: (RP) - The Iungard Gala on 4-42  (Read 7462 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
(RP) - The Iungard Gala on 4-42
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
So, I figured I'll start posting these up here for everyone to read. With any luck it'll inspire more people to get into seriously roleplaying their characters, not only on their own but also to interact with other people as well. My plan is to host one of these every 2 or so game years, with an increasing guest list. The intent is to create relations between realms that would not otherwise exist, thus diversifying the interactions of our characters and creating interesting political scenarios.

You are of course, welcome to comment, but I will remind you, this is an ongoing roleplay. Who knows what might happen.  ;)

Anyways, with no further ado, I'll start posting these up.

Quote from: Andrew Calinus on 4-44-5 (January 27, 2015 11:34)
The Duke's Estate at Iungard was probably more akin to how estates were setup before the Gods War than they were now. These days it was not uncommon for events like this to be hosted at the lord's keep or castle. Iungard however had both it's castle, situated on a hill a bit to the south and west, but also the recently rebuilt estate of the Calinus Family. While Iungard Castle was typically where the Duke himself resided and served mostly military and hierarchy functions, the Estate was for hosting guests and events. 

Situated on one of the higher hills within the walls of Iungard, high enough so to see over the walls that surrounded it, it offered a prime view both of the rising sun and setting sun, with light pouring into it's grand hall during both such times. Out back it had an enclosed garden and fountain set below an outdoor patio that ran along most of the back of the building proper.

Within it's two story structure, it held guest rooms, family rooms, a small library, various paintings from before the Gods War, several ancient collectables from around the world, and a number of more everyday things like bathrooms, studies, sitting rooms, and the such. At it's height there were a dozen people once living under this roof without having to fill guest rooms, today though it hosted an event with a guest list that would probably make the Imperium jealous.

"Honored Guests," Duke Andrew Calinus began, already standing and speaking to the fifteen different guests in attendance from his position at the head of the table, a vast swatch of various meats, vegetables, breads, and rare delicacies laid out on the grand rectangle of a table they were seated at, surely tempting those present even as they tried to listen.

"First of all, welcome to Iungard, I know many of you have never personally been here, and I sincerely hope that your views on the estate do it well."

"Naturally, some introductions are in order to begin the evening's events."

"Starting on my right side," he began, motioning from his standing position at the eastern end of the table, "we have:

Thane Nyssa Fox of Mercia,
Duke Andris Eglītis of Litranti Federation,
Countess Alina Huntsmaster of Ras Igilgili,
Prefect Alexios Eirenikos of Hawks,
Thane Cerys Gwydion of Mercia,
Count Hamad Huntsmaster of Ras Igilgili,
and Knight Captain Alyn Fontaine of Iuna.

While across from them on my left side we have:

Peer Taticus Symmachus of Hawks,
Lady Ashley Van Valen of Valinor,
Duke Aldric Fox of Mercia,
Lady Līna Eglītis of Litranti Federation,
Prince Henry of Arescod of Ascalon,
Lady Ulina Peladon of Mercia,
Lord Jon Johnsson of Ascalon,

And of course at the far end of our table we have King Rhuadhri Uí Niall of Cedyrn."

"By now," he continued, "I am certain most of you have been overcome by the smells of the feast laid out before us. If there is anything you do not see present that you want, like just baked or recently baked pork buns, please ask one of the attendants. There are a number of things on ready in the kitchens. After dinner there shall be a short break then I recommend heading out to the gardens behind me."

Calinus briefly motioned to the door behind him before finishing what he had to say.

"May you find this meal to your liking. Enjoy." He concluded, sitting down, reaching for some of the wild turkey meat that had been cut into slices almost directly in front of his own seat. If history served, someone would probably ask for everyone's attention in the next few moments, though that might not happen given how random the seating had been. This was after all intended to be a social function to build friendships, not one that catered to station or position.

Editing note: I will make some minor alterations here and there for reading consistency and grammar/spelling, so you all won't need to adjust to two or more different distinct roleplaying or writing formats.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:18:07 PM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
Re: (RP) - The Iungard Gala on 4-42
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
Quote from: Henry of Arescod on 4-44-6 (January 27, 2015 13:12)
Prince Henry of Arescod, heir to the Kingdom of Ascalon inspected each of the guests with fresh interest as their names were called out by their host, Duke Andrew. Being on the isles was a strange experience, for no longer was the landscape restricted by more rolling hills and forests in the distance, but coasts enclosed them from the rest of the world. It was both pleasant and slightly frightening. As Duke Andrew encouraged them to eat, Henry's thoughts wandered towards the architecture here. It was surprisingly similar to the mainland, but with distinct and noticeable differences. For example it was something entirely new to the young prince that the lord's hall was not inside the castle and keep, instead being a magnificent building in the city itself. He had to admit that this allowed the building to be decorated beyond what was possible in Ascalon, where the hall was inside the keep, but this also meant that it was easily plundered and hard to defend.

His attention shifted towards the food laid out on the table before them as the Duke commenced to eat from the richly filled tables in front of them. Deciding to try some local dishes instead of things he knew and could eat back home aswell, he tried a dish consisting of a species of fish he had never observed before, seemingly baked in the skin itself and richly sprinkled with lemon juice. It went great together with the soft and sweet white Wakesworth from Ascalon he had brought in moderate amounts.

Looking to the persons right next to him, he looked for a conversation fitting with such dinner. Coincidence dictated that he was seated between two ladies, and briefly a grin broke through on his face as he remembered the old saying that this allowed him to make a wish. "I must admit that the isles are different from what I expected, but that I am not at all disappointed in what I found here."

My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »
Quote from: Ulina Peladon on 4-44-6 (January 27, 2015 16:12)
Ulina was quietly impressed to be seated with people of such high status. Two Dukes, a prefect, a prince, a king, and the praesul was a good haul for any social function. More so because some of them had traveled a long way. She reached out and speared what looked like a big orange fruit of some description. Raising an eyebrow as if making a tricky hunting move she brought the fruit over to her metal plate without it escaping and rolling round the tabletop.

Now that it was safely on the plate she cut into it and was surprised to find the fruit was just a shell and had been stuffed with all sorts of spices, meats, and berries. Casting a secret glance around the table to see how everyone else was tackling the unfamiliar foods, she decided to throw caution to the wind, picked up a quarter of the stuffed fruit, and started to nibble away at it.

Next to her, she saw the Prince from Ascalon was dealing with his own baked fish like an expert. The scent of lemon juice wafted up from it. Ulina decided that it was only polite to try to make conversation, but she felt awkward starting conversation with someone so high born and above her in rank.

"Do you enjoy the fish, Your Highness?" she began, nervously. "I have to say it's a great honor to be seated next to you. I've never really met royalty before. At least not one I wasn't trying to kill."

She immediately cursed herself for a fool. Polite conversation with a royal should hardly revolve around attempts to kill their kind.

"I've never tried to kill a royal from Ascalon," she added quickly. Not completely sure she wasn't digging a bigger hole for herself. She tried to shift to safer ground. "Will you be making a speech? Our host might expect it."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
Quote from: Jon Johnsson on 4-45-1 (January 27, 2015 20:18)
After finishing his soup Jon decided to speak, "It is an honour to come here to this Gala, i grew up in Ariamis, though soon after i swore my fealty to a lord i moved up north to serve under his brother, and became the prince of Sunthrone in the end, aswell as the duke of Aesclind." Jon took a bite of the bread that was served with some fruits baked into it. "Though only 20 weeks ago i decided to abdicate rulership and experience more of the world after being bored as the king of Sunthrone, i moved to Ascalon as you all already know. Though i might move again sometime."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
Quote from: Aldric Fox on 4-45-2 (January 28, 2015 02:59)

Once Lord Jon had finished speaking, Aldric put down his goblet and spoke himself.

"I just want to say how pleased I am for Praesul Andrew that so many First Ones have been able to make the voyage here to attend the gala. I hope that new friendships will be forged and existing ones will be strengthened."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
Quote from: Hamad Huntsmaster on 4-45-3 (January 28, 2015 07:19)
Hamad chewed the pork bun thoughtfully; it had been handed to him still warm and springy. Finishing the bite, he spoke across the table.

"Duke Aldric Fox, I see now why the Isles rave about these- This has been my first opportunity to sample a fresh bun, and I think I must consider importing them, if not one of the cooks themselves!"

Hamad stood and swept an arm around the table.

"We of Ras Igilgili have been in the isles nearly as long as any, though we have kept to ourselves by and large. It is good to see so many faces, old friends and new. My thanks to our host for his house and bounty!"

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
So it's been 8 days... that means 16 more messages. The sorting on this will get interesting though, because while some went for conversation trees, others just added new messages. Anyways, lets go!

Quote from: Henry of Arescod on 4-45-4 (January 28, 2015 13:01)
Henry had always been a good son to his father, and he sure knew that he'd have earned a a proud nod of approval now. With pure willpower alone he managed to contain himself from laughing out loud at her words. Instead, he drank from his wine and drowned the laughter in it. Nevertheless, his amused smile was too stubborn to be removed, and he quickly gave up on removing that and formulated an answer. "It's a great honour for me aswell, Lady Ulina. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He replied, and upon noticing her nervosity continued on a more casual tone. "I don't know if I should make a speech. I haven't prepared one at least, but now you say it, it might indeed be expected of me. I guess I shall have to improvize in that case." The prince continued between two bites. "Instead, could you tell me something about daily life here on the isles? Me and Lord Jon are the first Ascalonians to ever set foot on the isles, except for a few bastards in the past, "... and I'm really curious after how different life is here."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Jon Johnsson on 4-45-4 (January 28, 2015 13:27)
"I would not really call myself an Ascalonian yet, i have only barely been in Ascalon for about 25 weeks."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »
Quote from: Ashley Van Valen on 4-45-5 (January 28, 2015 20:33)
Ashley cast her hazel eyes about the room as they were all seated.  Never before had she been in such an unfamiliar environment much less one surrounded by so many strangers...so many important strangers.  Even those she had met were strangers to her really, that list consisting of only Prefect Alexios and Nyssa Fox.  Even beyond the odd feeling of being surrounded by so many, who by the conversations being had, at least knew each other, was the strangeness of...well...everything.  The foods and spices, the art and dress, even the styles of hair and aromas.

The entire scene made her feel very small, very lost.  It was not that she was unaccustomed to finer things nor dealing with superiors on a field of battle.  She could best most in a fight and is a Princess of Valinor after all, even if such titles were less meaningful in her homeland.  No, it was the submersion into a culture so utterly different than any she had better understand of.  All of it rested on her as she began to feel under dressed, out classed, and like a complete fool for having come.

Her hair was pulled back by a thong, except for a few spiraling locks that refused to be tamed as they brushed against her temple.  The slightly oversize dress she wore was of a simple cloth with doe skin leather at the tie of a draped bodice, frustratingly continued to slip farther down her shoulder causing her to adjust periodically.

One wrong move and I will become the evenings entertainment!
the thought came to her and did nothing to help her dwindling confidence.

As conversations began around the table, Ashley watched others to learn how to use the dishes and utensils placed in front of her... and tried desperately to not draw attention to herself.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »
Quote from: Rhuadhri Uí Niall on 4-45-6 (January 29, 2015 03:05)
Rhuadhri ate and drank heartily, his appetite still fired by long hours at the oar of his currach Raicleach Farraige. Long months had passed since he was last able to slip the leash of his royal duties and the joy of sailing the Sea Witch across the wild ocean tides had reawakened the young boy who before the Gods' War had dreamed of navigating the world from sunrise to sunset.

"You keep a fine table Praesul Andrew, such as would put any court to shame," he took another bite of his third pork bun, savouring the subtle flavours of the seared flesh, and followed it with a generous draught from the goblet of mead next to his trencher.

"What think you Lady Ashley? Does the Praesul's hospitality compared to that of the famed mead halls of Rathgar?"

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
Quote from: Andrew Calinus on 4-46-1 (January 29, 2015 11:20)
To be honest, Andrew was only half eating his food. Or, better put, he was sort of eating his food, mostly surveying the different interactions at the table. A few focused on eating, most were starting up conversations with those next to them. Henry and Ulina seemed to have hit it off quite nicely, even with Ulina attempting to eat her own foot after what she said--which was by all means quite amusing. Jon and Aldric said their bits, the first seeming to attempt a speech on the fly with some success, while the latter's was short and to the point.

Andrew smiled internally at Hamad's comments about the pork buns, finishing off the turkey he had grabbed earlier. Including them on the menu had turned out to be an amusing bet, and he was curious to see how Alexios would react to having his pork bun empire infringed upon.

Ashley though, seemed as if she was having some issues. He looked at her for a few seconds as he eat, pondering what would work best, then switched to scanning the table before him for the next thing to eat. He eventually found something, but motioned one of the servants over before going after it.

"If its not too much trouble . . . " he stated quietly, probably only heard by the two seated next to him, with the rest being drowned out in the noise of the room and the classical music beginning to play in the background. The servant nodded and departed, while Calinus quite nearly overextended his reach just to go after some steamed vegetables that had been sitting in a bowl. At the very least, he surely violated some rule of fine dining by going after something so distant.

"What think you Lady Ashley? Does the Praesul's hospitality compared to that of the famed mead halls of Rathgar?" Andrew heard Rhuadhri ask a few minutes later, mentally praising the man for noticing Ashley's insecurity. Towards the end of his words, a shift in the music took place, changing into something much more northern, more Rathgari in sound. Not anything drastic like war band music or something like that, but music you might here in one of the northern settlements, perhaps being played in the village square.

"Nyssa," And spoke to the girl on his right, deciding to strike up a conversation of his own, "shall I trust my servants made yesterday comfortable for you while I was out with Aldric?"

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
Quote from: Alexios Eirenikos on 4-46-1 (January 29, 2015 12:00)
The sea voyage had been relatively calm, but any time Alexios had to set foot upon a ship played havoc with his nerves, and frayed nerves only made his situation and his tenuous grip on reality, that much worse. He had expected the crowd, but now found himself unable to cope with the eldest gathered. Hiding behind Taticus Symmachus as much as possible he search the hall for a distraction, any distraction.

Then he saw it, heavenly mana, the delicacy that is pork buns. Only problem being they were in other people mouths.  Shouting "MINE" at the top of his voice he spurred Taticus into action. With a quick strategic strike he was able to retreat to a corner of the room, all available remaining pork buns in his possession while Taticus stood guard in front.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
Quote from: Ulina Peladon on 4-46-2 (January 29, 2015 16:28)
Seeing Prince Henry's smile, Ulina felt reassured that he wouldn't be calling over the Iunan guards for close protection after her stumbling words about killing off royalty. She was both pleased and reassured that she'd managed to avoid a diplomatic incident. So far.

The Prince asked her about daily life in the islands and how it was different to what he knew. She pondered on that for a few seconds, wondering what daily life was like in Ascalon and how the islands might be different.

"Daily life in the islands is probably similar to on the continent," Ulina finally answered. "The daily duty of making sure the people don't do something silly is a burden we all carry. Without First Ones to tell them what to do, they'd probably all starve to death in a week while surrounded by grain."

She smiled softly, having amused herself with the attempt at a joke. She picked up another quarter of the stuffed fruit from her plate and took a bite.

"But, in seriousness," Ulina continued, "I find a lot of my time is spent on the sea. If you want to get any place in the islands you need a ship under your feet. I sail a lot. I've just return from the continent to attend this gala. Sometimes when I'm on the land it feels strange that the ground doesn't shift under my feet. You know? Like the deck of a ship moves with the waves?"

"That's probably one way that daily life is very different here to what you've experienced. To get from one place to another, I expect you mount a horse and ride in a straight line. Maybe along a road. For islanders, our ships are swift and sure. Whether they've got sails, like the Mercian ships, or oars, like something you'd be more likely to see in Cedryn, they'll all carry us faster than your horses."

"So, if I wanted to get from one side of my island to the other, I'd be more likely to board a ship and sail quickly round the coast than mount a horse and ride in a straight line. I think that some of the islands lack developed roads for just that reason."

"Have you done much sailing yourself?" Ulina asked the Prince. "I'm told it can unsettle the stomach something terrible if you're not born to it."

At that moment she was distracted by a disturbance at the end of the table. She looked over to see Alexios had grabbed up the entire supply of pork buns and was struggling to hold them all in his arms while hiding behind a man she thought must be his bodyguard.

"And some islanders have a few personality quirks," Ulina said, turning back to the Prince. "It probably comes from the relative isolation. It makes for a colorful life, though."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
Quote from: Nyssa Fox on 4-46-3 (January 29, 2015 20:57)
Nyssa was distracted by Marquess Alexios's sudden decision to hoard the pork puns. She could not really blame him. They were delicious. Shaking her head slightly, she turned back to Andrew Calinus and gave him one of her best smiles.

"Your servants have attended to my needs very well, Your Grace. I have been most pleasantly distracted by looking around your estate and the gardens. The gardens, in particular, I loved. I would like to create something of the sort back home. But less ambitious, perhaps. My settlement is not quite so impressive as Iungard."

The sound of water falling from the fountain just below the patio carried up to where they sat, and birdsong twittered and tweeted in the air.

"A servant was kind enough to show me some of your collection of paintings. I have always had an interest in such things myself. Art, music, and all such things, add colour to the more crude aspects of life, making home and hearth comfortable, do you not think? I noticed some of the paintings dated from before the Gods War. I would be interested to hear how you came by them? So much must have been destroyed when the gods fought, tearing at each other and the world."

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
Quote from: Ashley Van Valen on 4-46-3 (January 29, 2015 22:55)
Being deeply into her own thoughts, the sound of her name startled the poor girl leaving her confused for a moment as to whom the voice belonged to.  The moment seemed forever long, longer still once she found the eyes colored as a stormy sea that looked in her direction belonged to the same man.

“Your Grace” she began hesitantly but quickly gaining momentum as the distraction forced discomfort and shyness out of the way to be replaced with a glimmer of the charm she was known for at home.

“King Rhuadhri, In truth never have I seen a feast as grand, with so many new and rich things to try.  I have not even heard of these..um..pig-tails?, that everyone seems to love.  But… it would be difficult to compare to the Northern halls of mjoðr and Veig.  I mean no offense, but here I find the wine too sweet the ale too bitter and have yet to find anything with enough fire for any fair maiden to loosen her tuttenseck or find a hand under her chemise!”

At the last words a smile came upon Ashley’s face, the sort of expectant smile one has when they have told the punchline of a jest that was certain to break the ice or bring laughs among her warrior at home.