Author Topic: Corruption: Having multiple subscribing accounts to avoid it's effects?  (Read 1876 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
So, now that corruption is in effect and we're all looking at our settlements and thinking, "I wish I wasn't losing so much food", should we be expecting a change on the policy for the number of accounts allowed per player?

As it stands, the only thing I can find on this in the Terms of Service is that you're only authorized to have one free/trial account active in your possession at a time. There's nothing stated about having multiple subscribing accounts active though, and the lowest subscription of 2 a month is probably pocket change for some of the subscribing players.

I'm certain that many of the players will have potentially heated thoughts about this, though this is mostly a question for Tom.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Corruption: Having multiple subscribing accounts to avoid it's effects?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:23:04 PM »
The main problem with restrictions like these is that if you make them, you sign yourself up for a constant hunt of multiple accounts.

There are enough restrictions in effect on free accounts to make it unreasonable to make 20 of them and use them to run a realm, I believe.

For paid accounts, frankly speaking it has not occurred to me that you can use them to reduce your corruption, but yes of course you can. That is not intended and I would probably consider it an abuse, though a hard-to-catch one because I can never prove that this is your intention. You could have other reasons for having multiple accounts.

In any case, the main purpose of corruption is to trigger your thinking and make you stop to check if you really need to many estates all by yourself. If you're thinking about getting two more paid accounts, then it kind of has accomplished its purpose.

Don't forget that you can't use heraldry cross-account, and need to buy culture packs again as well, which are further incentives to not use multi-accounts very much.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »
The main problem with restrictions like these is that if you make them, you sign yourself up for a constant hunt of multiple accounts.

There are enough restrictions in effect on free accounts to make it unreasonable to make 20 of them and use them to run a realm, I believe.

For paid accounts, frankly speaking it has not occurred to me that you can use them to reduce your corruption, but yes of course you can. That is not intended and I would probably consider it an abuse, though a hard-to-catch one because I can never prove that this is your intention. You could have other reasons for having multiple accounts.

In any case, the main purpose of corruption is to trigger your thinking and make you stop to check if you really need to many estates all by yourself. If you're thinking about getting two more paid accounts, then it kind of has accomplished its purpose.

Don't forget that you can't use heraldry cross-account, and need to buy culture packs again as well, which are further incentives to not use multi-accounts very much.

Before corruption, almost since this world was started I have had two accounts. Partly it makes organising nobles easier, mostly though it meant that I had an easy way put more money into this game while still playing the same number of nobles I would have on a single account anyway. Since corruption has come into play I am seriously considering dropping that account and all the nobles on it that have several months of history in the world.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »
Since corruption has come into play I am seriously considering dropping that account and all the nobles on it that have several months of history in the world.

Why? I'd really like to understand the reasoning here.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »

Simply to avoid any arguments with other players that I am attempting to abuse the corruption system.

Calistarius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »

He feels bad

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »
He feels bad
That's the impression that I got from talking to him too.

From when I was asking, with the implementation of corruption it feels like he's not playing in the spirit of the game if he has multiple accounts that holds settlements because corruption doesn't apply in the same way to him as it does to others.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:59 AM »
That's the impression that I got from talking to him too.

From when I was asking, with the implementation of corruption it feels like he's not playing in the spirit of the game if he has multiple accounts that holds settlements because corruption doesn't apply in the same way to him as it does to others.

Indeed. To me it seems like an abuse of mechanics, same as the transferring troops out of battle or spamming attacks to prevent evades.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:38 AM »
Official word from me is that this question is an issue, and until it is resolved, I will NOT consider multiple paid accounts an abuse. The benefit you get is small compared to what you give to the game, plus all the other disadvantages I listed above.

Valast

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:33 AM »
The key word is "paid".  By the Bearded Bear God of the North... and the shinny teets of Oho... if someone wants to pay to avoid corruption, let them make it rain down on Tom like he was a well endowed stripper!

That money then helps support him as he makes the game even better for all of us.

No... I can see no need for even second thoughts De-Legro.  Even more importantly than corruption... IF your families are providing as much interaction and back story as I am guessing they are, you would be doing the game a huge disservice to discontinue any of them.

The players you would have interacted with will instead find themselves with fewer interactions... less to do or talk about.  Then think how guilty you would feel when they leave!  (psst: is this guilt trip working at all?)

Insanegame27

• I am the Bopmaster, master of Bops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
IGNORING THE TROLL ABOVE (who probably will be deleted by the time anyone reads this, sorry Val!)

Would it be an abuse to have 2 free accounts with only one of them having land-holding characters? I have been thinking of doing this for a bit. With my credits run out I had to kill six characters, one of whom was intended to be the leader of a small nomadic tribe. I really didn't want to kill him but I had to because of the limited account that comes with coming down from basic to trial.

Would it be abuse to have another account just for nomadic people with no land?

Prompted this post.
Now I have a mental image of horses lined up in a goods factory, building things on an assembly line.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
Would it be an abuse to have 2 free accounts with only one of them having land-holding characters?

Yes. The rule is one free account per person.

Would it be abuse to have another account just for nomadic people with no land?

If it's a second trial (free) account, then yes. One free account per person. However, I believe you can still have multiple paid accounts but it's not cost effective (in real world money) to have multiples unless you're wanting to play more than the 50 character upper limit of the highest account level.

Also, you can have either a trial account or a paid account - you can't have a paid account and also an additional free account (two different accounts). Tom gave a definitive answer to this last point somewhere a while ago as there was confusion over it but I can't seem to locate the thread.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:03:50 PM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
I was under the distinct impression that you could have X paid accounts + 1 free account.

Other than that, yes, 1 free account per person is the limit, and is listed in Might & Fealty's terms of service. No such distinction is made for paid accounts.

Registration and Eligibility

You may browse the Site and view content without registering, but as a condition to using certain aspects of the Site, you are required to register on the Site and represent, warrant and covenant that you provide Calitarus with accurate, truthful, and complete registration information (including, but not limited to your name ("user name"), e-mail address and a password you will use to access the Site) and to keep your registration information accurate and up-to-date. Failure to do so shall constitute a breach of these Terms of Service, which may result in immediate termination of your account. You shall not:

use more than one free/trial account - if we find you do, we will delete or lock all of them, without warning;

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 11:44:58 PM »
I was under the distinct impression that you could have X paid accounts + 1 free account.

Finally tracked down the thread where Tom addressed that.

http://forum.mightandfealty.com/index.php/topic,3641.msg29097.html
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.