Author Topic: Bandits Feedback  (Read 16770 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Bandits Feedback
« on: December 21, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
This topic is for feedback about the bandits that are currently in testing. If you are playing one, or are interacting with one, are being attacked by one, please post your experiences here.

I'm especially interested about the various restrictions on those characters. Do you think another action needs to be restricted? Or one that currently is shouldn't? What did I miss? Let me know.

cenrae

• View Profile
Re: Bandits Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
started a bandit. have 67 soldiers. about half have plate armor, roughly the other half with scale and about 10 with leather or cloth. But those 10 have war horses.
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
where do you start a bandit?

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
its random. Look at the very bottom of your character screen to see if you have the option. If I recall Tom said not everyone would have it at the same time. Not sure if thats the case right now. I had the option of selecting 1 of 3 different names. Had no other information then the names to make my choice. Then my bandit appeared (i assume at random) very near one of my character power bases. Oh well. There is another player there whos not communicating but not Zzz so I shall see if this gets some response.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
Bandits spawn in a random location with randomly generated troops. That's why you get only the name to choose. I might eventually replace that entirely with just the option to play a bandit.

Everyone has the option, but the total number of bandits in the game world is limited, so if they are "out" (i.e. all in use) then the option will not show up for anyone, until a bandit dies or is abandoned.

Right now the troop selection is too random, giving high-end weapons and armour the same chance as low-end, I will eventually change that.

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
Well I just looted a village of its resources and sent them to one of my own villages.  I would suggest this option in looting be removed fir bandits otherwise I can see everyone looting to benefit their main characters.

No option to take control of a settlement which I think is good.

Valast

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
Naa I do not see much of an abuse there.  It could be abused, but only if the same player is able to constantly be playing a bandit.  That is not the case in because of the limited number active at one time.

BUT by leaving the ability to loot, sending it to your home settlements, you ensure that the player will be enticed into keeping the bandit character active and causing trouble.  Which will prompt a more swift response from players.

So I say, let the bandit player send loot home.  Maybe create a chance % that the person looted will be informed WHERE the loot was sent though... then we have a nice political situation developing from the bandit greed.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
Taking control of a settlement should be am option if you ask me. First ones are meant to be the nobility of this world. If a bandit takes control of a settlement, it's a threat to the legitimacy of the first ones, as the commoners aren't supposed to be smart enough to rule themselves.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:20:15 AM »
Bandits will never get the ability to control an estate.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
I've seen a bandit enter one of my minor regions. However this close to Christmas and with a four week old daughter to care for I've not the time to invest in hunting down a minor nuicence whom lots in silence. Had they bothered to even mock my pitiful defense that would be one thing, but a charcter that enters, loots and moves on is not worth worrying about when I have actual interactions that need my attention as well.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
I think the looting is fine, especialy if there is a chance of the lord getting to know where the loot was sent, as this could cause conflicts between realms, say realm A is in trouble with realm B, realm A then notices the bandit and tells him he will get troops if he goes and loots realm C and sends the loot to realm B, this could mean that realm C would attack or cause trouble in realm B, which would help realm A defeat them.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:16 AM »
I think the looting is fine, especialy if there is a chance of the lord getting to know where the loot was sent, as this could cause conflicts between realms, say realm A is in trouble with realm B, realm A then notices the bandit and tells him he will get troops if he goes and loots realm C and sends the loot to realm B, this could mean that realm C would attack or cause trouble in realm B, which would help realm A defeat them.

Right now you are told the region is looted. You get no indication what loot option was used, what the damage was or were it might have been sent.

In my opinion looting for bandits should be revamped. There is little reason to expect that the bandit characters have any relationship with the bandit, in my opinion it simply leads to OOC interaction with your own established characters. I would prefer to see looting either be a status item like gold for regular characters, or used as a method to increase/refit your force.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 01:21:50 AM »
I agree with you.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »
I don't know what game won in general with bandits.

- Being attacked by bandit - if you make effort to kill or imprison them, that's all, you can only wait for another bandit to attack you
- If you are bandit, you can only hope to annoy someone.

I believe annoyance which does not lead to some achievement to any side is just that - annoyance. There is no positive aspects of it.

We are developing villages, establishing relations, wage campaigns to make some strategic sense of playing. Being deprived of any strategic abilities, bandits can be only one more burden in day to day micromanagement, which I personally already feel tedious when not having some  more strategic ability.

I would never be bothered to make some level of micromanagement in village construction, training, trade, and even on level of single soldiers - if we would have possibility to get some general summary reports of some things we have.

Currently we have very brief overview of our estates on character level, and one map of all player's holdings. I feel that is far from sufficient for playing realm rulers. And making own hand-made summaries would be really tedious I believe. Rulers generally have no clue what's going on in their realms, and even with own characters it's hard to have overall feel.

Imagining large realm where 4-5 bandits loot simultaneously, I see nothing but chaos. When initially constructing building, I at least try to organize different priorities for different villages, so construction sequence is not the same. If those building are randomly looted, only thing I can do is to order general-level reconstruction. Than, I am not needed at all, bot can do that the same way, there is no incentive to try something better.

One side has nothing to win (estate holder), the other nothing to lose (bandit). That does not make a challenge I believe.

All that looks like balance issue - if it is very hard to build many things, very easy and simple to smash them, hard to develop village, easy to starve it - such imbalance really push us.

Calpurnius

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »
I don't know what game won in general with bandits.

- Being attacked by bandit - if you make effort to kill or imprison them, that's all, you can only wait for another bandit to attack you
- If you are bandit, you can only hope to annoy someone.

I believe annoyance which does not lead to some achievement to any side is just that - annoyance. There is no positive aspects of it.

We are developing villages, establishing relations, wage campaigns to make some strategic sense of playing. Being deprived of any strategic abilities, bandits can be only one more burden in day to day micromanagement, which I personally already feel tedious when not having some  more strategic ability.

I would never be bothered to make some level of micromanagement in village construction, training, trade, and even on level of single soldiers - if we would have possibility to get some general summary reports of some things we have.

Currently we have very brief overview of our estates on character level, and one map of all player's holdings. I feel that is far from sufficient for playing realm rulers. And making own hand-made summaries would be really tedious I believe. Rulers generally have no clue what's going on in their realms, and even with own characters it's hard to have overall feel.

Imagining large realm where 4-5 bandits loot simultaneously, I see nothing but chaos. When initially constructing building, I at least try to organize different priorities for different villages, so construction sequence is not the same. If those building are randomly looted, only thing I can do is to order general-level reconstruction. Than, I am not needed at all, bot can do that the same way, there is no incentive to try something better.

One side has nothing to win (estate holder), the other nothing to lose (bandit). That does not make a challenge I believe.

All that looks like balance issue - if it is very hard to build many things, very easy and simple to smash them, hard to develop village, easy to starve it - such imbalance really push us.

I believe the bandits are a good addition at this level of players in game.  Currently no one attacks or loots for fear of starting a major war. Since there is plenty of land and resources, no need to wage battles.   The bandits provide activity which stimulates the game and awakens it from sim city.
 Did roving bandits ever really gain or take much from pillaging, or were they just an annoyance to Ruler of the realm.
 I think it fills the void until more players take on the role.