Author Topic: Only participating when threatened?  (Read 6307 times)

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
Re: Only participating when threatened?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 02:30:20 AM »
My tactic with new knights is to demand a lot of activity from them in the early stages of their employment that create loyalty to the realm (IC-wise) and to get them involved, so that if they are notoriously inactive or suspicious I can relatively early recall the troops. The promise of lands also helps though, and so lnog you do not immediately grant this promise they can only help you to earn those lands.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 03:56:50 AM »
My tactic with new knights is to demand a lot of activity from them in the early stages of their employment that create loyalty to the realm (IC-wise) and to get them involved, so that if they are notoriously inactive or suspicious I can relatively early recall the troops. The promise of lands also helps though, and so lnog you do not immediately grant this promise they can only help you to earn those lands.

A player that means you deliberate harm is going to comply up until they are ready to act against you.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
A player that means you deliberate harm is going to comply up until they are ready to act against you.

But that is fine with me, it's intrigue and betrayl, this generates gameplay.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »
Oh, intrigue and betrayal _must_ be possible...very much agreed on this.

Also, playing in two different areas with your two groups of chars having no direct interaction needs to be possible. Still, I do not see the problem of identifying these two groups with the same player. They can have different family names, thus signalling differing attitudes. They can be played differently.

Or, phrased differently: The drawbacks of identifying two different character groups of one player with that player are not large. Compare to this the drawbacks of _not_ being able to do so: Mistrust against each new character joining a realm (due to each new character being able to seriously damage a realm as spy).

The more I think about it, the more I like the 'at least identify _young_ characters with players'. This way an old character could join a realm, act as spy - fine. However, young characters belonging not to your immediate enemies would be trusted a lot more, given more land, included more easily. And these last items are crucial....

Calpurnius

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
To help new players be accepted and assisted, I think it is very important to know the new from old. I'm sure all the people who have been here since the start, would make more knight offers and freely give away their land.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I don't want to identify new characters - people would remember the identification or even keep records. Once broken, anonymity cannot be restored. I'm not opposed to identifying new PLAYERS. We could have badges on the character screen showing that this is a player who has played for less than a month or so. Would that help?

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »
Pretty much what I had in mind indeed. Sounds good.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
Uh, doesn't the game already identify new characters? I thought with the game tracking everything...

New player identification could be good, I think.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Oh yes, identifying new _players_ would be a great boon....(I assume that identification is somehow also visible on their characters).

I still like the idea to also link (younger) characters to their players. Yes, records could be kept - but that danger is rather limited (I could spawn a character in the isles, then 4 months later immigrate him to the Imperium. Tracking his 'lineage' would involve a lot of work...I doubt this would be done on any grand scale).

Compare this to the (assumed) very real reluctance to give anything of meaning to 'incognito'  characters....I think the danger is minimal and the possible gain considerable. Spying is still very much possible (which is good) - but it is less easy.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »
It'll be in the next update.

Calistarius

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 03:46:11 AM »
The problem is, people making new characters, in an enemies realm posing as new knights, waiting for troops and or lands, then giving them to there other character. If the two were known to have been consorting previously sharing a family name, or known to be friends, then the one who gave them the troops etc is at fault for their mistake. The issue is they pretend to be new. They dont play them as new characters, this intrigue and betrayal does not exist in this game, its just trying to oocly take resources from your enemy by tricking them. Your new character should have no loyalty to your old ones, but they do it anyway.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 04:03:13 AM »
The problem is, people making new characters, in an enemies realm posing as new knights, waiting for troops and or lands, then giving them to there other character. If the two were known to have been consorting previously sharing a family name, or known to be friends, then the one who gave them the troops etc is at fault for their mistake. The issue is they pretend to be new. They dont play them as new characters, this intrigue and betrayal does not exist in this game, its just trying to oocly take resources from your enemy by tricking them. Your new character should have no loyalty to your old ones, but they do it anyway.

It is a problem, though not one I have yet to personally encounter. I like to think the players on the Islands don't generally engage in such underhanded actions. That said if it does occur, and of course it will, unless those whom engage in such activities are named, shamed and dealt with it will continue to be a relatively easy path. My only question would be what is appropriate, naming them in character through messages and reputation. Or OOC as players abusing OOC knowledge?
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Calistarius

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 04:25:50 AM »
with the current system there is no way to know in character until they commit the action afaik, so it has to be dealt with ooc

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 05:36:10 AM »
It is a problem, though not one I have yet to personally encounter. I like to think the players on the Islands don't generally engage in such underhanded actions. That said if it does occur, and of course it will, unless those whom engage in such activities are named, shamed and dealt with it will continue to be a relatively easy path. My only question would be what is appropriate, naming them in character through messages and reputation. Or OOC as players abusing OOC knowledge?

I think he's going after the using a brand new character, that should, theoretically, have no allegiances, to steal the resources of an enemy, either by accepting troops and waiting long enough for their loyalty and then disappearing or by being granted a settlement and then siphoning off resources to your main area.

Technically, I'm not sure this is breaking rules, as how our characters are created and/or where they came from has been left intentionally blank. One could simply argue that they are a pre-existing and loyal contact. That said, it is annoying, and should be frowned upon as far as player conduct goes.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Calpurnius

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 05:57:27 AM »
I can accept that if we have a player base to dilute that type of behavior. But with so few players it has a larger effect on game play.