Author Topic: Lots of warriors cause problems!!  (Read 5233 times)

Alumaani

• View Profile
Lots of warriors cause problems!!
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
Hey anyone else notice that when you have say 500 warriors or more the actions go to pot?  I can't assign from one character to another, in my town I can't do it either, is it a common problem or just me?

Valast

Re: Lots of warriors cause problems!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »
I have noticed some oddities when the numbers are high.  For example I swear I assigned warriors to a noble in one case and set as militia in another... but the warriors never showed up.

Also, there are times when I am assigning them where once I choose assign for one noble, it refreshes and tosses me to another area on the long list of names.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
This is why I would like an update to the troop control interfaces. Personally I like to orderly put my soldiers into predetermined groups, but it is such a hazard to try and find out when you did something wrong in such a group.

Perhaps buttons such as:
"Select all men of group A/B/C..."  (This exists, yes)
"Select all men with THIS equipment" (Possible to filter on 'weapon - armour - equipment' but also on 'weapon -all -all')
"Select X amount of men with THIS equipment"

imo that'd probably solve most of these problems. Above suggestions would make my and I believe other's lives a lot easier.

The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:33:29 PM »
Yeah those functions might improve but I am talking about basic functions, they seem to fail when troop numbers climb above, say 500!?!?

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
I've started noticing this many months ago, there is a bug report for that if you want to contribute, and yes, the interface is rather hostile for those of us who need to manage many troops even without this bug. I have an idea for Tom to add something like a 'start here' and 'stop here' command to the same menu that has 'assign' 'disband' etc. so we can sort the troops and then select the range we want without wasting a considerable amount of time (every soldier after the 'start here' one and before the 'end here' one has the same command set as the next one in line or maybe all in between have the first free group letter set or something), just as a stopgap for now, or maybe it's not too hard to expand the current setup with something like 'apply command to [20] of [heavy infantry] at random' 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:51:47 AM by Mookzen »

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Ok so now I have 1 noble with 600 warriors who cannot transfer a single one which makes him move at a snails pace while stuck in enemy territory, one is not amused.

I have tried to take your advice Mook but it doesn't seem to work and I am pretty much at the end of my tether with it.  I brought all of my warriors from my villages into the main town and wanted them distributed evenly among the realms forces but the character ruling the town cannot do anything with them due to this bug and so I have almost 3000 warriors stuck in a town, I couldn't field them and I cant even retrain them, so they are useless and eating the towns food.  This happened at the start of the North Spear conflict.

It meant I marched with only 1500 warriors (A fraction of my force) and as discussed previously I transferred many of them to my main character who is now stuck, unable to move much and unable to redistribute the warriors.  This may not sound like much to anyone reading it but imagine your whole army on lockdown whilst in a war, like sitting ducks whilst you are also unable to act strategically...it's not fun at all.

I have had a bug reported for weeks now and it hasn't been looked at, is Tom around or has he given up on the game because it's starting to feel like that.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
I found that it was "partly" my browser which caused issues when I had 600 + troops in a single location, it just takes ages to load up the screen and ages every time you try and do an action.

I found it "very" slow on opera, bit better on firefox I think.

I just had to persist with it, taking "hours" to try and slowly whittle down the troops assigned to the garrison and get them to a level that my browser could reasonably manage.

If you are trying to do it through your phone.... good luck haha.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
I found that it was "partly" my browser which caused issues when I had 600 + troops in a single location, it just takes ages to load up the screen and ages every time you try and do an action.

I found it "very" slow on opera, bit better on firefox I think.

I just had to persist with it, taking "hours" to try and slowly whittle down the troops assigned to the garrison and get them to a level that my browser could reasonably manage.

If you are trying to do it through your phone.... good luck haha.

It starts to get to be a pain on a phone at about 100 soldiers. Can anyone remember why Tom did away with splitting up large forces onto multiple pages?
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »
I just managed to split 700 warriors using firefox, will try on the 3k tomorrow.  thnks

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »

It starts to get to be a pain on a phone at about 100 soldiers. Can anyone remember why Tom did away with splitting up large forces onto multiple pages?

I feel that might have actually started all these problems. I've made a bug report for this a few weeks back and Tom has replied there, asking for specific instances but didn't reply again since. This is obviously widespread and kind of game-breaking. I've noticed that trying to assign, set to militia or mobilize smaller groups of warriors eventually works and as we know the bug disappears altogether once the number of troops drops to manageable levels.

Valast

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »
I am not sure the game was ever designed to see armies the size we have had in the North.

Maybe we have not looked at everything from the correct angle.  I mean we all were upset that food production limited our growth...but that was because we were marching large armies around.  Same thing for the battle issues recently... for mechanics of troop assigning...

We have looked at the game as a bigger army wins sort of thing, when really the game is designed to help limit the size of armies to prevent them being unrealistic for the game world.

Instead of having 3000 heavy infantry 3000 cavalry... maybe the HUGE army is intended to be 300?  Maybe we need a better idea of scale.

Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
I'm inclined to agree. The movement has all been towards more and more food since the start of the game (militia acting as farmers is HUGE, economic security, increased food production) and it's allowing much bigger armies.

Everyone having 10x as many soldiers doesn't change anything except the number of clicks required.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »
you also need to remember that at first, soldiers did not consume food.
So the fact militia now produce "some" food is greatly offset by that. Militia only produce a "proportion" of the food generated by normal villagers i do believe.

Valast

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
Right.  I am just getting to the point of how the large armies of the North, which are a result of our doing nothing for so long instead of having multiple wars throughout the start up, was not something that was planned for.

One of those situations where we created our own mess.  It is hard to manage thousands of warriors because it was never thought that we would sit on our thumbs as long as we have and amass that many.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
yeah, well, there are a few handfull less now    :P . I still have to bury quite few of those fallen at Fioroux...but yes, if we can find any way to have small scale wars/raids without them spiralling out of control....that would be a boon!