Author Topic: Changes to travelling status  (Read 9328 times)

Alumaani

• View Profile
Changes to travelling status
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »
Im wondering if it would be helpful to see alternative information in the status column that presents the 'travelling' tag.  It would be useful for me to see who is in a battle as the alternative is to wade through characters action screens individually so as opposed to 'travelling' it could say 'battle' or 'Prisoner'?

Also it would be good to get an indication as to who has captured a prisoner as I have to again dig through each politics tab to discover who has the captive.

Theres probably an existing topic for this kind of thing so sorry if I mis-posted.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to travelling status
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
I thought the character selection page did show if you were a prisoner, with a little icon next to your name. With regards to knowing whom has capture someone, if you are having to look through multiple politics page I think this was brought up before, and the response was not to concentrate your characters so much. One of those tedious things that are suppose to make playing multiple characters in the same realm less attractive.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
I sincerely hope travel and endless movement of the very same troop will be limited by starvation soon.

Current passing troops that travel who-knows-were more resemble some star trek scenario  :-\

one thing i am certain - i will never have enough time to log in permanently to see whom i am meeting in outer space...

passing by someone while traveling over mountain? possible, but rare. most of troops should get tired after 4-5 days of travel, starve after 7-8 days, die of starvation after 10-12 days, everything else is sci-fi  :)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »
I sincerely hope travel and endless movement of the very same troop will be limited by starvation soon.

Current passing troops that travel who-knows-were more resemble some star trek scenario  :-\

one thing i am certain - i will never have enough time to log in permanently to see whom i am meeting in outer space...

passing by someone while traveling over mountain? possible, but rare. most of troops should get tired after 4-5 days of travel, starve after 7-8 days, die of starvation after 10-12 days, everything else is sci-fi  :)

Don't be silly, if they have no source of resupply they will die of thirst long before. Starvation actually takes more like 18 weeks to result in death, without outside complications (disease) though the troops will have become too weary to do much long before that.What that has to do with this thread though is anyone's guess.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:29:41 PM by De-Legro »

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »

Don't be silly, if they have no source of resupply they will die of thirst long before. Starvation actually takes more like 18 weeks to result in death, without outside complications (disease) though the troops will have become too weary to do much long before that.

well i'm not native english speaker but would say there is clear difference between starvation and dying of thirst? or i'm wrong? and and lack of food brings much quicker death if biological energy is spent on heavy military duties  ;)
actually as far as i know of medieval background, regular travel through somewhat heavier terrain was limited to one full day, after which sleeping is inevitable. allowing them to travel 3-4 days without any consequences is making them supermen already.

What that has to do with this thread though is anyone's guess.

yep, it's not 100% related, but it refers to the fact how demands on improving travel information tabs to me look like desire for sort of spaceship console. i personally feel too much long travels is allowed currently, which renders many other things senseless as described on other threads and further enhancements to "travel game" would only make thing worse in my opinion.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
I for one would like to see a much enhanced "over view" of characters.
Including number of troops / entourage.
current activity - eg battle / take over / resting / Travelling
whether you "hold" a prisoner would be very helpful, as it's a bit hidden atm.

Just little tweaks to make the game more "user friendly"

Make it more user friendly, and I think we will have better player retention.

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »
@De-legro I was talking about when you capture a prisoner not when you are one as yes that is indicated clearly.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »

Make it more user friendly, and I think we will have better player retention.

that much depends on who would be targeted players - those who like/can be logged the whole day or those who need measures to be able to effectively play without having to check all the time, isn't it.

i am a new player, but already lost number of villages/soldiers and similar for not being able to find how to use some effective summary of information rather than browsing through overwhelming mass of information which i neither can nor would like to absorb.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »
i think it needs to cater to what all players need.
Both those who have large accounts, and those who only have a few characters / settlements.

The more user friendly the game is, the more fun to play it is.

Right now i feel it is more geared to the "hardcore" players, who have time to micro manage everything and check every character several times a day.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
I feel great disproportion between micromanaging economy and micromanaging war efforts.

with construction which usually takes many days, you don't need to check everything all the time. when you have time, you can plan and even if you don't micromanage, some things peasants do by themselves. that looks good to me, you can decide when to make decisions, you can take actions with as deep analysis as you want, and even if you don't spend much time, things will still go quite smoothly gearing toward some average state.

with warfare, things are quite different. i did not join the game in time when takeovers were too short, but i feel lengthening time for takeovers and battles is very good thing. what remains unbalanced in my opinion are those travels. if you need to check who is traveling where; if anyone can travel anywhere, gather all possible troops at any place on map together, almost without limitations, I mean guys who can track it are superior to me, and I stand no chance to attempt anything in game. limiting that could allow both "occasional" players to still be able to compete, while players who like to spend much more time in game would still have plenty of opportunity for strategic planning, focusing efforts, dispersing troops over maps etc. but not real-time tracking who is heading where.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
simple answer to that is don't try to play alone, play with others and co-ordinate together.

when battles take 24 hours to "prep" i cannot see the argument that they are too fast.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
where did i say that battles are too fast? I pointed at long battle preparations as good thing, but it is unrealistically long travel and troop that are never tired which degrades warfare in my opinion.

i play only with others to whichever extent i can, but spending time to hover over the whole map trying to guess where enemy forces will concentrate, how many of them exactly - when there are no any installed limitations - I would never have time for that.

when you would know that there is reasonable limitation to both map travel and number of troops that can gather at the same place without severe starvation - limitation which can be overcome, but at large cost - you could wage war by occasional spotting of enemy troops and disposing your defenses accordingly (if you wage defensive war) or by establishing proper supply lines and sequence of region taking (if you are waging offensive war).
large wars would need many commanders who take care for local coordination of specific areas, so while single diligent individuals could still handle it - having more people in cooperation would be advantage. and much more interesting for anyone, as only delegation of authority could make difference.
if you have guy who handles local war on eastern front for instance, while you are leading major actions and ordering major supply lines, that could be fun for both sides, and many in hierarchy could find their fun.
currently you need the other guy only to help you counting number of troops in region X. someone may find it interesting, but i think that's quite trivial for game with so complex mechanics.

all comes from limitation of time troop can spend in field, possibly corrected by concentration of troops in some area (with more troops they begin to kill each other for food sooner) - not to make long travels and high troop concentration impossible, but to impose fair price for such endeavor.
than warfare can go into domain of planning - movement planning, supply line planning, region taking planning.
the advantage of planning over troop counting and travel observing is that it is deeper, more interesting, tends to involve more people, and finally allow you to pick your playing pace to much extent. i

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
well i'm not native english speaker but would say there is clear difference between starvation and dying of thirst? or i'm wrong? and and lack of food brings much quicker death if biological energy is spent on heavy military duties  ;)
actually as far as i know of medieval background, regular travel through somewhat heavier terrain was limited to one full day, after which sleeping is inevitable. allowing them to travel 3-4 days without any consequences is making them supermen already.

yep, it's not 100% related, but it refers to the fact how demands on improving travel information tabs to me look like desire for sort of spaceship console. i personally feel too much long travels is allowed currently, which renders many other things senseless as described on other threads and further enhancements to "travel game" would only make thing worse in my opinion.

Re read the initial post. He refers to the little space next to your character on your character selection page that states simply if a character is travelling. The proposal has nothing to do with further travel information, but rather a acknowledgement that there are other significant events that could be announced on that page as well.

In terms of long distance travel, rest for the soldiers is factored into the travel speed, they do not march endlessly its just abstracted away, it might be interesting if for a portion of every 6 hour turn they did remain stationary for rest though, but then people would want the ability to force soldiers to march on to catch up to a enemy, control over which part of the day they rest in etc. But yes we get it, travel is a particular issue for you. Please do not bring the same old complaints into every thread though, it doesn't aid in convincing anyone all it does is derail other conversations.

PanH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 11:06:14 PM »
There could also be a note when you're trying to travel but have an action that is blocking travel ongoing. Earlier, I was setting movements, and didn't realize I was still opposing takeover (which blocks travel). The "travelling" on the overview was kinda misleading then.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:09 AM »
I would say that troop movements are already sufficiently slow, it can take 1-2 real days to move between target settlements.
Is that really not long enough?

I would totally agree that the map overview should show you the locations of enemy troops spotted by local watch towers, which they do not at the moment, limiting their usefulness.
I would agree that the "overview" screen should also show that.

imposing death on troops for being outside your own territory, well thats never going to work in this game i don't think.
I would agree that troops should drain a % of their food from their "hometown" rather than just the region they are in at the time, to simulate supply lines etc but i don't think it can be "player controlled" as that level of detail is far to high IMHO.