Author Topic: Battle at Edaston  (Read 2052 times)

Alumaani

• View Profile
Battle at Edaston
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »
Battle at Edaston

Alumaani:
551 medium infantry
  • 305 heavy infantry
  • 75 light infantry
  • 216 archers
  • 64 cavalry
Beals Song

• 459 medium infantry
  • [/size]144 archers
  • [/size]37 heavy infantry
  • [/size]59 light infantry
      [/size]Reinforcements arriving for Beals Song will bring the numbers up by another 400 it looks though I cant tell what troops types.

Alumaani

• View Profile
      Re: Battle at Edaston
      « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
      Final Results:

Alumaani
      • 1126 medium infantry
      • 306 heavy infantry
      • 192 light infantry
      • 362 archers
      • 70 cavalry
      • 16 nobles
      Beals Song
      • 715 medium infantry
      • 150 archers
      • 41 heavy infantry
      • 131 light infantry
      • 1 cavalry
      • 8 nobles
      Beals Song 358 Dead and 432 Wounded
      Alumaani 81 Dead and 154 Wounded
      Victory Alumaani
      « Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:55:30 AM by Alumaani »

Alumaani

• View Profile
      Battle at Edaston
      « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »
      I want some advice here as I really don't want to ruin anyones game but I am a little bit stuck on how best to move forward.  The battle at Edaston is part of the larger North Spear conflict and the forces are being led by Belemont Alumaani who had is ass kicked by North Spear and fled the lands to raise an army and seek revenge.  Now he has won the initial battles and demanded surrender from Beals Song (Guys from Beals Song your perspective is welcomed!) who cannot field any significant force subsequently.  What they can expect is aid from Skloddings and possibly D'Serrai clans and so they may be choosing to do so.

Here's the problem:

• Belemont HATES North Spear and wants it dissolved
      • His terms dictate the handover of remaining warriors and Beals Song declaring Independence from North Spear as well as cessation of violence for 6 months
      • Beals Song are not accepting the terms
      This can only mean one of two things:

• They have reinforcements arriving (Which I suspect is the case)
      • They are stubborn and would rather 'do or die'
      Herein lies the problem; how does Belemont achieve his goal or should he abandon it?  By abandoning it he would be playing the game in the interests of the members of Beals Song in the hope that they will not get upset and quit.  At the same time as a player I am thinking well what was the point?  Nothing has changed and my own objectives of defeating North Spear cannot be met with an enemy at my back as I march North.  If I choose this line of action then I will attack every settlement and attempt to take prisoner or kill as many nobles as possible (Preferably take prisoner as it takes that noble out of the game but death is as much a possibility even if it is not intentional).  It would effectively end Beals Song which I don't want to happen but then I think, well North Spear are conquering all of our settlements on the promise they will be returned after the conflict, so I could always do that...problem is I think it will have a really negative effect on new players whilst it really doesn't bother me.

So here we are, Im at a point in the game where I would not have even paused to consider the ramifications of my actions 6 months ago, trying to choose between what is right for the game and what is right for the story and my own characters. 

Your thoughts and insights would be most welcome

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
        • View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
      Is there no other target you can hit without significant risk regards leaving Beals Song as is? Hard to say what is right for your character as I have not interacted with him. The only character I have that is into vengeance would much prefer to be targeting the "elite" rather then wasting his time subjugating a defeated foe. If Beals Song can no longer field a force that is worth consideration, they are defeated no matter what they accept. Move on, bring war and defeat to the rest of North Spear but make sure Beals Song understand that once all of North Spear has been trashed your terms to them will not be so friendly.
      He who was once known as Blackfyre

Alumaani

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »

He has to march across Beals Song to reach the next enemy, Skloddings which poses more than significant risk if they refuse terms.  It's like punching a knifeman to the floor and not knowing how long he'll stay down and turning your back on him to face another adversary.

It's not just revenge, his lands are being invaded by the clans of North Spear, 5 or so different clans and Beals Song are one of them, it's easy to say seek out an elite foe but these are the elite foes.  We're talking thousands of troops and if he does as you suggest and moves north to engage the remaining elite troops, what do you think Beals Song are going to do?  They have lots of villages each probably churning out warriors on a 30 day count down...He won't want to find himself in the middle of Skloddings with a few hundred fresh recruits behind him and a couple of thousand fresh veterans in front of him.  It's about strategy as much as the character which is my point, they are conflicting, what is right for the game does not suit the strategy required to win a large war without the co-operation of those kingdoms or clans that are defeated.

Stonedman

• View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:38:18 AM »
       [font=] [/font]
      [font=]Maybe just modify the terms of surrender….[/font]
      [font=] [/font]
      [font=]Hand over XXX hundred troops, leave Northspear, Vow no aggression of XX months.[/font]
      [font=]So rather than give you “everything” give you “something”[/font]
      [font=] [/font]
      [font=]I would agree though, that you could not move through Beals Song without having secured either their neutrality, or their total defeat, as this would leave you extremely vulnerable to being surrounded.[/font]

Cynic

• View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
      Have they proposed counter-terms? Is it worth asking them, if they haven't?

That might give you an indication whether they're just looking for a way out or whether they're expecting to get back on their feet and hit you again.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
        • View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
      If they have forces in your land, the. Without knowing the exact details they are hardly "beaten". Now if they had run into a defense force in your lands that denied them the chance to take your lands, plus you were victorious in there lands, that would to me be a position of strength to negotiate to. Right now it seems your are more on a even field, they can take settlements from you, you can take settlements from them.

Given that, escalation is completely appropriate, both to establish the relative position of your forces, and to hopefully reduce the threat to your holdings. If you are worried about newer players you can try avoiding their settlements to start with (if they are identifiable), offer them the individual chance to come to terms with you, offer them a challenge that is not compleletly over whelming etc.

This war is young, I was very surprised to see talk about any clan dropping out of the war so soon.
      He who was once known as Blackfyre

Alumaani

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
      Thanks for the advice guys, I will go back in with the possibility that they can modify terms if it will reach their agreement to cease hostility. 

@De-Legro, I think you are right, they must have another army coming to back them up but if you are surprised at clans dropping out then I think the world must not understand the level of slaughter going on here :)  The other players will tell you better but I suspect around 3k dead at Aelfrics fall and another 1500 dead at Edaston with the subsequent battles...thats a good 5k of losses at least I would imagine.  These are approx guys BTW so please dont jump on my ass about the numbers but I am sure that someone can confirm either way, that's a lot of dead...that's months of work gone up in smoke in 2 battles and the complete loss of some clans armies I think?  COunting up the settlements of Beals Song and Hawkes I would suggest they have few troops remaining and will rely on Skloddings to help them.

Alumaani

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »
      Ok so I tried...here is the script.

by Belemont Alumaani on 3-33-3 (October 6, 2014 14:07)
      My friends,
      I am magnanimous in victory and would offer you a further olive branch. Your forces are destroyed and you cannot field more than a couple of hundred crippled warriors so I would offer you the chance to keep them and heal them. Their experience these last few days will benefit you and it will not leave your clan defenseless.
      I would however request your immediate surrender and agreement to stand down from North Spear, agree to no hositilities for 12 months.
      This is your last chance my friends, you are forcing me into a decision I do not wish to make.
      new
      • split
      responses: show herefrom Malki Soilminder (October 6, 2014 14:51)

by Malki Soilminder on 3-33-3 (October 6, 2014 14:51)
      in response to: show heremessage from Belemont Alumaani (October 6, 2014 14:07)

Lord Belemont,
      You are truly offering a reasonable deal for Beal's Song and I do not wish to see our destruction. I cannot accept your generous offer.
      We were made by the North and I owe my allegiance to Tan d'Serrai Until I die. This is not out of obligation but out of honour.
      If he directs me to accept your offer and finishes ties with us then we will stand down. Otherwise I am honour bound to support my allies and they me.
      With Greatest Respect,

by Belemont Alumaani on 3-33-3 (October 6, 2014 16:38)
      Malki, you are indeed honorable and a worthy friend but it is a shame that you have aligned yourself with such a daemon as Tan D'Serrai. I hold him single-handedly responsible for the fall of Rathgar, as North Spear grew our nation suffered and like a malignant twin in the womb, it choked and starved it's brother until we were forced to relinquish Rathgars ideals.
      Now all that we see is war and desolation, the men of the North, we were born for battle, honorable battle where warriors could face one another in glory and the stealth of a raid, but this warfare, this Empire building, thousands upon thousands slaughtered like cattle, it is against all that we Rathgari are about. The clans should be independent with no one clan holding sway, we were born free and will remain so for we cannot live and breathe beneath the yoke of Tan D'Serrai and his North Spear.
      Better indeed for us all to die.
      You have an army of 1000 warriors moving through the hills, show me the honor of your people, go and join that army and face us in battle one last time like true Northmen, we will offer a feast to the Gods once again.
      « Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:43:50 PM by Alumaani »

Cynic

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 05:00:27 PM »
      Looks like you've done plenty to be honest.

Maybe they'll change their minds in a few days.

Valast

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
      Beat them senseless... take a few large settlements to prevent them making a strong army again... then march on.  You can return the settlements later after the war is done.  Or keep a few and consider it an occupied territory.

No need to destroy the whole realm.  BUT if they are a people who refuse to be put down, you can find ways to hold them down.  They will always try to rise up and attack again... just like in the real world.

So stomp them so it will take time to recover.  Occupy them so you are prepared to take on the resistance.  Move the rest of your army through to fight the rest of the war.

Alumaani

• View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
      I just came back to this post while putting together the battles for North Spear Vs Allies and wanted to add that this issue was all resolved and I would like to add that the players involved (Soilminder) where absolutely great to interact with.  I really enjoyed that conflict and the discussions, RPs and insights my characters now have of Beals song have enriched my game. 

Thanks again!