Author Topic: Militia reforming  (Read 1150 times)

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
Militia reforming
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
I really, really find it frustrating when you defeat the entirety of an 80 man militia to make way for a takeover, only for it to reform a good portion of its strength a short time later. It's going to take till the end of september at the current rate because of the fucking militia, which I have already had to fight three times just to make the takeover time manageable.

Oh, another thing. Thank you to the player of Thomas for making this all possible, because originally it would have taken until the end of october to do the takeover because of all the militia you left when you abandoned the realm. I'm having to put off recruiting knights because I don't want to have them deal with this boring, repetitive bullshit rather than actually fulfilling contracts like we were meant to be doing.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
Re: Militia reforming
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
Actually I left those troops there because it would be hardly nice leaving with about 250 well-trained medium and heavy infantry, taking about half of the company's troops with me. I had not foreseen however that the takeovers would last so long.

I'm sorry for being nice, I'll never do it again.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
well, i would dare say somewhat opposite opinion - lengthening takeover and battle time improved both urge for strategic planning and ability of players who do not log all the time to play the game normally.

what could be improved, though is action queue.

i had current situation:
- ca 200 soldiers smashed ca 20 soldiers
- i had opportunity to log soon after battle ending (which is not easy) and begin takeover.  takeover was estimated to 7 rl hours
- some time during takeover, 9 militiamen came back to village, and that extended takeover time from 7 to 22 hours

all that is acceptable for me, but we should be able to:

- engage battle and order takeover after battle is finished (if successful). First noble who initiate queue runs takeover, others can only support or oppose afterwards
- order to automatically attack militia if they come back during takeover process

That way attackers would not be condemned to tedious or impossible tracking of actions sequence, while defending players would still have plenty of time to jump in and attempt defensive actions.

of course, defending players should at least have queue: go to region A, than defend settlement or oppose takeover.

this is in my opinion minimal auto-pilot which removes the most annoying part of battles running

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »
well, i would dare say somewhat opposite opinion - lengthening takeover and battle time improved both urge for strategic planning and ability of players who do not log all the time to play the game normally.

what could be improved, though is action queue.

i had current situation:
- ca 200 soldiers smashed ca 20 soldiers
- i had opportunity to log soon after battle ending (which is not easy) and begin takeover.  takeover was estimated to 7 rl hours
- some time during takeover, 9 militiamen came back to village, and that extended takeover time from 7 to 22 hours

all that is acceptable for me, but we should be able to:

- engage battle and order takeover after battle is finished (if successful). First noble who initiate queue runs takeover, others can only support or oppose afterwards
- order to automatically attack militia if they come back during takeover process

That way attackers would not be condemned to tedious or impossible tracking of actions sequence, while defending players would still have plenty of time to jump in and attempt defensive actions.

of course, defending players should at least have queue: go to region A, than defend settlement or oppose takeover.

this is in my opinion minimal auto-pilot which removes the most annoying part of battles running

Excuse me, 20 militia? that's all? I raise you 80 more to get 100, and a takeover that takes two months (this ordeal started in august, it would have taken till the latter part of october to finish). After taking out the militia the first time, that's been reduced to a takeover time of several weeks after they came back. And that was to take back a region belonging my own realm, meaning we're basically losing even when we're winning.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
i beleive it's not idea that you easily take region without defeating militia.

in my opinion that's ok and logical. you have to defeat enough militia, with many battles if needed, and have enough takeover troops to reach good takeover speed.

i feel you are annoyed with inactive nobles and would have to save militia that belongs to your realm, but that's completely different subject .