Author Topic: The Big User Interface Feedback Topic  (Read 6307 times)

Valast

Re: The Big User Interface Feedback Topic
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »

But on a positive note I am still very much enjoying the game.

Without a doubt!  Having a great time... and it is only getting better the more people who join the realms I am in.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
When checking on the status of a take settlement action you first click on 'Manage que': which then tells you the progress.  BUT not a day or time.

Have you tried clicking on the action name to bring up the details page?

Valast

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »
When I click on Actions from the menu across the top of the page, it does not come up with any other clickable options other than all actions.

When I am inside of the actions page, I get the same action que that is shown on my recent events and messages page.  Everything is working like it should I think... just two places to click cancel and two places to gather all the information.

Again, this is mostly my mistake.  Yet if I am doing it others will also. 

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
When I click on Actions from the menu across the top of the page, it does not come up with any other clickable options other than all actions.

What I mean is: Click "manage queue" and in that list, where you see the "cancel" button, click on the NAME of the action - it's a link.

If you've never noticed this, it's an important information for me. I didn't want to put a "details" button next to the "cancel" button to prevent mistaken click on it.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 06:00:02 AM »
What I mean is: Click "manage queue" and in that list, where you see the "cancel" button, click on the NAME of the action - it's a link.

If you've never noticed this, it's an important information for me. I didn't want to put a "details" button next to the "cancel" button to prevent mistaken click on it.

My problem with these is not this first level, it is the next. For example support takeover has almost no useful details, but from that pop up you can click to the takeover action for details. It would be much more efficient for those details to be on the first pop up.

Secondly having to click manage queue to get to the details is no intuitive. As well as the actions being links on that page, could they not be links from within that small queue display? Apart from mobile interfaces it would be handly to be able to do everything without tha seperate page, but that may take up too much realestate on smaller screens.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
I agree the interface is clunky.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
what i really miss is simple time-scale list of all messages (or 30-day messages).

all other buttons could work as a filter, while it would be always possible to revert to "basic" bulk of messages to orientate ourselves when in doubt.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »
Oh~! I just thought of something awesome.

Expand all messages button. And of course a likewise collapse all button.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Valast

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »

Ah yes I like the manage queue.  The cancel button there is in a good spot I think.  Yet it does not show the information needed...such as when the take control will be finished.

Once you go into the name of the action, the cancel button is too big and too easy to click on with my mobile device.  Also mistakes can happen clicking it because it is in a location where you would think it would close the tab instead of cancel the action.  I can not explain why I have clicked on it in this way.  Perhaps from other programs out there?  But what ever the reason, I tend to reach for that cancel button.

I believe it would be best to only allow it to be canceled from one place.  But it is just my personal thought.

Valast

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 12:34:17 AM »
The warrior selection in the game has been bothering me for a while now.  We have discussed some things that could help improve it but as stated...they are not simple.

So I started thinking, after getting my new phone (Note 4) that it is even more tedious and very frustrating to select warriors and choose what to do with them from a phone.  Many times each single soldier involves zooming in, picking the action box, picking it again (because I have fat fingers and selected the one above or below), picking an action, moving on to the next warrior.

I did this the other day for multiple new nobles in the game as I gave them each a number of warriors.  It took me a long long frustrating time.

Yes I could have put them into groups when I had access to a computer... and in fact I had done just that with many of them.  Yet when warriors are done training they do not go into a group.  That leaves a lot of boring work to be done just to prep warriors to be moved about.

So the real problem is, I had a bunch of players (I assume they are individual players because the game does not inform me if unlinked characters belong to other families) waiting on me.  It would have been two days before I could sit down at a computer to do this...

Here is my request on the warrior interface.  Can we have a check box beside them that selects that warrior and then allows us to choose the action at the bottom?

Also, this would allow for a faster way to assign warriors to groups if that option was given at the bottom also.  Click the boxes you want, pick an action or a letter, and done!

The other thing that takes place when selecting actions for troops... is that the page refreshes or "moves" each time I finish with one warrior.  I click him, put it on assign (for example) and the page moves, scrolling one direction or another on its own as it refreshes.  This adds to the frustration...it means I have a second or two delay for the page to finish, then I have to scroll back to where I was.

Again, imagine having to do this for 350 at one go.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »
The other thing that takes place when selecting actions for troops... is that the page refreshes or "moves" each time I finish with one warrior.  I click him, put it on assign (for example) and the page moves, scrolling one direction or another on its own as it refreshes.  This adds to the frustration...it means I have a second or two delay for the page to finish, then I have to scroll back to where I was.

Again, imagine having to do this for 350 at one go.

That is more then likely a limitation of your phone browser. It does not happen on my iPhone.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 01:56:15 AM »
A very handy addition in my opinion would be the ability to place groups into other groups. "Assign group 'd' to group 'q'." That way you can Merge different groups much easier.

Additionally, it'd be nice to have soldiers in the same group not cut off into another page if your amount of soldiers exceeds 500. This would allow you to take a group you can see without having to douvle check if any members are left behind in the next page, and re-assign them to the same group in your party.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 01:58:07 AM »
A very handy addition in my opinion would be the ability to place groups into other groups. "Assign group 'd' to group 'q'." That way you can Merge different groups much easier.

Additionally, it'd be nice to have soldiers in the same group not cut off into another page if your amount of soldiers exceeds 500. This would allow you to take a group you can see without having to douvle check if any members are left behind in the next page, and re-assign them to the same group in your party.

I am working on some alternative ways to display and mange troop groups. I hope to have a demonstration page up in the next week or so. The idea of merging groups is not something I had considered before, I shall ponder how to to so within the framework I have worked on.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:49 AM »
The update I just uploaded contains an automated grouping function that I've been working on for a few days. I wanted to refine it a little more before uploading it, but this post prompted me to do it right now. It should make working with groups easier, because you can generate them automatically based on the soldiers equipment, etc.

Valast

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
Thank you for putting that in there.  Here is what I have seen so far using the automated grouping function.

When I hit the "by type": It puts the warriors into groups with each type being a new group letter.  Nice!

When I hit the "by details": It clears out the groups that were populated with the "by type".

An existing group (group b) maintains its grouped warriors.  "by type" does not add anyone into that group.  "by details" does not clear out that existing group.

Manually creating a new group (group a) does not have the same results as an existing group.  I tested this by clearing out all groups (using by detail) and then assigning a few warriors to group a and then issuing orders.  When I then hit "by type", it removed them from group a and placed them in another group.  "by detail" did not return them to group a.

Manually creating group a and clicking on "by detail" first resulted in the group a being removed also but did not populate new groups.

What this is telling me: Existing groups prior to automated grouping function are remain intact with its use.  New groups created will not retain their warriors when the group function is used.

How much of all this is intended vs still needing a tweak or two?  I can file a bug report on it, but need to know the intended behavior in case it is not a bug at all.