Author Topic: The Big User Interface Feedback Topic  (Read 6305 times)

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
Re: The Big User Interface Feedback Topic
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »
That it is. However the buttons are ridiculously large on my Mac and on my iPad. I've not tried it on my iPhone because... well even BM is unplayable on a screen that small ;).

The buttons flow slightly better under Chrome on my android tablet, but yet again there's a lot of scrolling involved to see the page content and the only thing I've tried it on where it didn't feel over-magnified was Chrome on my gaming rig which has a 1920x1080 monitor.

I know M&F's a web app so it's natural to put banners and suchlike, but to my eyes it looks like it's wasting a lot of screen real-estate on stuff that's only useful for the first visit or two.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »
That it is. However the buttons are ridiculously large on my Mac and on my iPad. I've not tried it on my iPhone because... well even BM is unplayable on a screen that small ;) .

The buttons flow slightly better under Chrome on my android tablet, but yet again there's a lot of scrolling involved to see the page content and the only thing I've tried it on where it didn't feel over-magnified was Chrome on my gaming rig which has a 1920x1080 monitor.

I know M&F's a web app so it's natural to put banners and suchlike, but to my eyes it looks like it's wasting a lot of screen real-estate on stuff that's only useful for the first visit or two.

I predominately play M&F on my iPhone. With the exception of a few problems with selecting travel destinations on the map, I've never had a problem with the game. This laptop has the mind numbingly stupid resolution of 1366x768, but every thing fits nicely when I use Chrome or Firefox. I will have to try and borrow my wifes Mac and look at the pages there to try and see what Safari is doing.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

absolon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
Some things that would be nice:

Easier to assign militia. So I can assign, say, 20 militia with pike, leather and shield, without having to select each militia individually.

Easier to build roads. Its really hard to tell which feature you are selecting from and to. Maybe make selection via clicking on the map? Or at least highlight the feature on the map after selecting in the list.

Easier to tell if a feature is going to be outside the current region. Often I want to put a signpost on a border so I can use it from two regions. I don't like having to go through the trouble of creating and naming it only for it not to be created as I have clicked in the wrong place by a few pixels.

Maybe make it easier to see which knights haven't been active in a while?

Different topic, but please, please, please fix the permissions system. Its really,really tiresome to have to travel around settlements assigning soldiers to people.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
Easier to tell if a feature is going to be outside the current region. Often I want to put a signpost on a border so I can use it from two regions.

Use a border post, not a sign post. Border posts automatically snap to the nearest border.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:45 AM »

Different topic, but please, please, please fix the permissions system. Its really,really tiresome to have to travel around settlements assigning soldiers to people.

I would suggest you are trying to manage too many settlements from a single character.

Easier to assign militia. So I can assign, say, 20 militia with pike, leather and shield, without having to select each militia individually.

Use groups and the new group order feature. Its not exactly the format I prefer but it certainly works.

Easier to build roads. Its really hard to tell which feature you are selecting from and to. Maybe make selection via clicking on the map? Or at least highlight the feature on the map after selecting in the list.

How? You select the name of the feature. If your feature names are distinct it should be obvious which are which.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 02:59:33 AM »
Having had a few new knights start in my realm, the one thing that keeps coming up is to make it more obvious when a travel route will not work due to a cliff or whatever. Perhaps a popup warning.

absolon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
Under travel details (or somewhere sensible) it would help if there was an estimate of travel time from current location. If I change my route and then dont write down immediately how long it will take this info is then lost, making it hard to co-ordinate arrival times. Or even have an idea when I might get somewhere.

absolon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »

Use groups and the new group order feature.

But I still need to individually select each militia man into the group in the first place. Tedious in the extreme.

How? You select the name of the feature. If your feature names are distinct it should be obvious which are which.

I might not have created them and might not have named them. I dont really fancy spending hours renaming sign posts, when the interface for road building could be much nicer to use.

Zakilevo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »
I hope you'd add small icons for all buttons under actions.

There are so many buttons :o

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 01:14:31 AM »
But I still need to individually select each militia man into the group in the first place. Tedious in the extreme.

To be clear what you are asking for is a filter selection system. So that you can select the first x amount of troops that match y conditions. I have some user scripts for that which work with Chrome and Firefox. I shall work on separating from the massive mess that is my current code base and post them up here.

I might not have created them and might not have named them. I dont really fancy spending hours renaming sign posts, when the interface for road building could be much nicer to use.

Indeed. I for instance would like to see the feature/road building rolled into the same map page as travel. Add a new item into the accordion and off your go. Being able to select the items to build a road between would be nice, I'm not sure what is required to do that. I started trying to work with the mapping software Tom uses in order to prototype some ideas, and through my hands up in the air at the complexity of it.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:27:49 AM »
That's the problem. All these things are possible, but not trivial.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
Under travel details (or somewhere sensible) it would help if there was an estimate of travel time from current location. If I change my route and then dont write down immediately how long it will take this info is then lost, making it hard to co-ordinate arrival times. Or even have an idea when I might get somewhere.

You can go to your travel page again and click set route again to see travel time, though a bit clunky it works for now.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »

You can go to your travel page again and click set route again to see travel time, though a bit clunky it works for now.

Indeed this is what I do.

Valast

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »
Here is a big one that has caused me problems more than once.  My own stupidity I know, but...

When checking on the status of a take settlement action you first click on 'Manage que': which then tells you the progress.  BUT not a day or time.  It does give you a place to cancel though.

To continue checking to see the day/time you have to click on 'take settlement' again.  THIS one has a big fat cancel button action button on it.  For some reason I keep clicking this button!  My own stupid click... but it has happened three times.  The one that I just did was on a takeover of a settlement that has 80 militia in it.  I was at 60 something percent done without having to kill the militia in a settlement where the owner went zzz on me.

Can we remove the second cancel button?  Or remove that page and put the information on the first place that it shows the progress?

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
Ouch.  Yeah I agree the battle and take settlements info needs to be quicker to get to. To many buttons. 

But on a positive note I am still very much enjoying the game.
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM