Author Topic: The Big User Interface Feedback Topic  (Read 6296 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
The Big User Interface Feedback Topic
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »
I'm looking to dramatically improve the interface of the game, to make it more easy and fun to play it, more pleasurable to do everything. So this is exclusively about the interface of the game, the menus and screens, lists and tables, the links you click and the information displayed on the screen.

Please help me. Let me know below which parts of the game interface, which parts of it you really like and which you don't. Let me know what I should do more and what needs to go and be replaced by something better. Let me know which parts add to the fun and which parts take away from it. If you have any ideas about how to improve them, also let me know.

Please let everyone have their opinion. No discussions of other peoples postings.

cenrae

• View Profile
Re: The Big User Interface Feedback Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
On the travel page please make the travel tab the top one instead of layers. As it is their is a lot of finger scrolling when using a phone.
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
When using my cell phone, none of the drop down menus (those you hover over with a mouse when a pc) are usable beyond whatever the main menu item. In short, I've not found a way to expand them.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Valast

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
Loving the tabs on the side!!!  I have never liked opening a character and THEN having to go over to stats to check on my soldiers.  Same with the estate tab.  Really like this.

Now for a dislike... I do not like being unable to select soldiers easily.  Would like to see a select all button or select all without a group.  (I guess this could also be done by assigning them to a group as soon as they are done with training but that is not interface really so a diff. topic)

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »
The new side tabs are very good. Both in that it's easier to access the information and that they just look good and give a better visual for the interface.

The list of characters on the character screen could use more customisable groups than just primary and secondary so that it makes it easier to organise and divide the list of characters in the way I want.

It's irritating that when retraining militia you have to click over to the recruitment page to see how many soldiers you can train in a settlement without lengthening the training times. It would be nice if that information could also be given on the militia screen.

It would be useful to be able to view details of a character by clicking on their name in the Oath Tree. This is basic information, but I currently have to hunt around for characters on other screens to be able to access their details.

It's currently too time consuming to see the progress on the battle and takeover timers because of needing to click through several screens to get to the information. It's also not good that this information is hidden away behind clicking to manage the actions queue. It's not an intuitive way to access the information and it's too concealed to be user friendly.

On the travel screen, if there have been several ships landing in an area it's often difficult to identity which ship belongs to your character unless you remember well the point where they landed. This could use some kind of "my ship" marker to help you know which ship belongs to the character.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:51:07 AM »
This is a really small thing, but can the default sort order for soldier and militia lists be sort by group?

Valast

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
It's irritating that when retraining militia you have to click over to the recruitment page to see how many soldiers you can train in a settlement without lengthening the training times. It would be nice if that information could also be given on the militia screen.

Hmm why have a separate page for recruitment at all?  A pop up would work just as well...?

The only information needed is how many and what equipment.  It really could almost be done in a small area on the militia page.  I do not like that each time I put warriors into training, it tosses me back to the militia page... making me have to scroll down then click on recruitment.

For example if I only have 8 chainmail, 4 broadswords, and room to train 10 warriors... I may train 4chain/bswords then have to go back to recruitment from the militia page to train 4 chain/spears then BACK to recruitment again to train another 2 spears/leather.  Or some combination.

multiply the frustration by 10 for doing it on a phone some times.

Valast

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »
Character Page:

It would be helpful to see an icon next to characters that are involved in some actions.

For example, if you are preparing for a battle or taking over a settlement or in a dungeon.  This would help me to keep track of what character is doing what.  Sure location names help, but some times I have a couple characters in the same place doing separate things.  And some times I do not remember which character is which until I open them to check.

This also comes in handy when we are limited on time for one reason or another... Lets say checking by phone between meetings on a long day.  A player could look, see that someone is attacking them and quickly respond directly to that character rather than having to check each character that has events listed.

It has happened to me more than once where I was on a trip or long weekend and could only spend a few min. at a time playing.  Those times the action would not stop just for me, and the result is I could not get to the characters being attacked.  Had I known... then I could have directed my time there.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »
While it's nice that messages are grouped when part of a realm now, it's a pain to find any other conversations. If there was a way to sort these that'd be great. If they are sorted, well, it doesn't look that way on my screen. Looking at links, conversation names, or any other information (to include IDs), it doesn't make sense at all.

Still think the Status and Summary pages could be combined.

Create Subrealm is kind of oddly located in the political menus in my opinion.

It'd be nice to have another format for Publications. One for things that are less newspaper and more book.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »
Character Page:

It would be helpful to see an icon next to characters that are involved in some actions.

For example, if you are preparing for a battle or taking over a settlement or in a dungeon.  This would help me to keep track of what character is doing what.  Sure location names help, but some times I have a couple characters in the same place doing separate things.  And some times I do not remember which character is which until I open them to check.

This also comes in handy when we are limited on time for one reason or another... Lets say checking by phone between meetings on a long day.  A player could look, see that someone is attacking them and quickly respond directly to that character rather than having to check each character that has events listed.

It has happened to me more than once where I was on a trip or long weekend and could only spend a few min. at a time playing.  Those times the action would not stop just for me, and the result is I could not get to the characters being attacked.  Had I known... then I could have directed my time there.

Love the icon idea.
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
Another little niggle, but one that's been bugging me for months: in Safari on the Mac the interface elements are all too large. As a result on the 1280x800 screen of my MacBook (which is what I usually play on) I always zoom the page out one level to get 4 buttons per line in the action screen and so the map fits in the window on Map & Travel.

Could there be a setting in the Profile to have things render smaller?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
Could there be a setting in the Profile to have things render smaller?

On Firefox, there's Apple - and Apple + to control font size. I'm sure Safari has something similar.

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
On Firefox, there's Apple - and Apple + to control font size. I'm sure Safari has something similar.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. My point is that this has to be done for every window/tab that's opened to get it to a reasonable size on a 1280x800 screen under Safari.

And before you suggest it, no I'm not switching to Firefox. The font rendering is horrible and it's a buggy memory-leaking pile of troll sputum on the Mac...

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 04:41:02 AM »
Do they have Google Chrome for the Mac?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 05:45:49 AM »
Do they have Google Chrome for the Mac?

Yes they do indeed.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. My point is that this has to be done for every window/tab that's opened to get it to a reasonable size on a 1280x800 screen under Safari.

And before you suggest it, no I'm not switching to Firefox. The font rendering is horrible and it's a buggy memory-leaking pile of troll sputum on the Mac...

It is a lot of work to get things rendering correctly at all aspect choices, particularly with the ever changing formats of smart phones. That said all decent browsers support user style sheets which should allow you to fix this problem permanently.
He who was once known as Blackfyre