Author Topic: Trade issues  (Read 1625 times)

Alumaani

• View Profile
Trade issues
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
I have a first one with merchants trying to set up a trade but I cannot seem to use the merchants to reduce the trade cost which is 2.2%.  Is there a cost point at which the merchants can be used or is it a bug?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Trade issues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
I have a first one with merchants trying to set up a trade but I cannot seem to use the merchants to reduce the trade cost which is 2.2%.  Is there a cost point at which the merchants can be used or is it a bug?

It is irrelevant, since trade cost are not active. If you have merchants I believe the cost shown is what it will be when a merchant is used, since you are not given a choice about their use.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
Im sure I have placed merchants in the past though?  So trade costs are NOT active at this time?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
Im sure I have placed merchants in the past though?  So trade costs are NOT active at this time?

Placing merchants certainly has worked, though I don't have any to test with now. Trade costs are not currently active, which is easily verifiable since the exact amount of goods you specify for trade appear at the destination, and the exact amount are removed from the source.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »
Trade costs are NOT active. Furthermore, the number you see on the trade screen is with the merchant's effect. Once you place it, you lose the merchant.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Trade costs are not active, and merchants get placed automatically.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:42 AM »
Has anyone worked out a way to trade food when your settlement's population is consuming it all, without causing the settlement to go into starvation?

From what I've seen, no one with a fully populated settlement feels able to trade food because of this problem.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »
Has anyone worked out a way to trade food when your settlement's population is consuming it all, without causing the settlement to go into starvation?

From what I've seen, no one with a fully populated settlement feels able to trade food because of this problem.

I have never starved a region by conducting in trade, any more then I starve a region by taking peasants from the fields to build or train as troops.

What is the settlement doing? Does is already have a deficit due to building or other activities?

How much are you trying to trade in one go. When I move large amounts of food I do so in steps to allow the population to decrease and stablise each time until I reach the desired trade amount. This is rare though, most settlements appear able to move reasonable quantities of food (relative to the settlements size) without issue.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »
It's surprising that you haven't had any problems when trading food. I'll experiment with it a bit more and see what happens for me. I've definitely accidentally starved a settlement by taking people out of the fields to build or to train as troops, so since that's never happened to you perhaps there are issues around this with certain settlements and I've just been unlucky in choice of settlements.

I can't really confirm anything without some further testing.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 02:18:10 AM »
So far controlled starvation actually proved to be very healthy for my grassland settlements. I was way too careful with them, and now 3/4th of the population is removed they produce enormous surplusses, especially once you restore the mill and market (which goes really fast if you are there in time) I increased the food send towards my town elevenfold from a single settlement, who know has half of the population it used to have at best, but has all the same buildings and a lot of output.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:54:08 AM »
So far controlled starvation actually proved to be very healthy for my grassland settlements. I was way too careful with them, and now 3/4th of the population is removed they produce enormous surplusses, especially once you restore the mill and market (which goes really fast if you are there in time) I increased the food send towards my town elevenfold from a single settlement, who know has half of the population it used to have at best, but has all the same buildings and a lot of output.

Interesting. I know Tom talked about changes so that some region produce better if you maintain their population below "maximum" level to encourged some pure farming settlements, but I was unaware it had been implemented. Previously I never saw production benefits from removing food/population from a settlement, this the only reason to do so was if you preferred to increase the population elsewhere, or needed to for trade.

It's surprising that you haven't had any problems when trading food. I'll experiment with it a bit more and see what happens for me. I've definitely accidentally starved a settlement by taking people out of the fields to build or to train as troops, so since that's never happened to you perhaps there are issues around this with certain settlements and I've just been unlucky in choice of settlements.

I can't really confirm anything without some further testing.

Its all about relative proportions. In some regions taking more then 5% of the population out for building will cause me issues. In others I can dedicate at least 20% without problem. To better assist you I would need to know what type of region, population, militia and what the population is up to. Prospectors are handy here, so you can see the exact base productions, though you can estimate things reasonably enough given food production/population and region size.

Also remember that starving code has changed a few times since the start of this world, and is generally a bit more robust now then previously.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »

I do it all the time. The only rule I follow is to not be crazy. I usually keep at least 70% of the population in the fields and rarely export more than 20-25% of the food production.

I've yet to experience a single settlement "crash" myself, which is why I always ask for as much detail as possible when people report about them, so I can try to reproduce.