Author Topic: Ariamis  (Read 6244 times)

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
Re: Ariamis
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »
I'll admit what Orion was doing started to concern me. But now i think on it. He's just testing Xerx which is something i've wanted to have happen. I just freaking wish more communication occurred regarding the Tempus Merchants. Orion really botched a chance for us to have a new duchy and further inside connections to the Grand Fate.

But at the same time i like this. Now I just need to think if taking Ariamis is even worth the time. I may just rebuild the federation. Hell i may actually outreach to the Litranti and see if they would be interested in working with us rather then against.

Actually, I'd be rather relieved if some conflict occurred. War seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »
I'll admit what Orion was doing started to concern me. But now i think on it. He's just testing Xerx which is something i've wanted to have happen. I just freaking wish more communication occurred regarding the Tempus Merchants. Orion really botched a chance for us to have a new duchy and further inside connections to the Grand Fate.

But at the same time i like this. Now I just need to think if taking Ariamis is even worth the time. I may just rebuild the federation. Hell i may actually outreach to the Litranti and see if they would be interested in working with us rather then against.

You assume that your goals regarding the Grand Fate are of any import to Orion. It's clear about all Orion cares about is amassing grasslands under his control. Why would he advertise the fact he wanted to annex three large regions? That just gives people the chance to say no. I don't really trust him an inch, very greedy character. Still he is one of the few willing to even talk about trade so I have some dealings with him.

How the hell do you have issues with the Litranti? They are just about the most pacifist realm I've come across. They mostly refuse to even leave their own borders in the last month or so, ever since the guy that formed the Atan Dominion went a bit over board and then losing territory when Redgorge shire split off.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
Actually, I'd be rather relieved if some conflict occurred. War seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

When I had 3 BM players join Hawks thought we could use some excitement so we start a war with the following conditions, we named four regions we wished to claim and set a conflict period of 5 weeks. Be interesting to know if that made things more/less palatable to our enemy, then again right now our enemy has us on the run so maybe he doesn't care.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 02:34:54 AM »
You assume that your goals regarding the Grand Fate are of any import to Orion. It's clear about all Orion cares about is amassing grasslands under his control. Why would he advertise the fact he wanted to annex three large regions? That just gives people the chance to say no. I don't really trust him an inch, very greedy character. Still he is one of the few willing to even talk about trade so I have some dealings with him.

How the hell do you have issues with the Litranti? They are just about the most pacifist realm I've come across. They mostly refuse to even leave their own borders in the last month or so, ever since the guy that formed the Atan Dominion went a bit over board and then losing territory when Redgorge shire split off.

From what I'm aware of, most if not all the players in Tempus were completely inactive. I don't know about outside opinions, but internally Orion is extremely popular. He has been very active in making sure that we always have something for us to do.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 03:28:39 AM »
Andrew from the forums was I think the only active player left in the Tempus branch of the IMC

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:11 AM »
You are correct.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
When I had 3 BM players join Hawks thought we could use some excitement so we start a war with the following conditions, we named four regions we wished to claim and set a conflict period of 5 weeks. Be interesting to know if that made things more/less palatable to our enemy, then again right now our enemy has us on the run so maybe he doesn't care.

Well, I did find your invented war more palatable once you announced designs on only the borderlands, but that was when we were fighting with roughly 300 vs 300 troops and I was beating you with superior movement despite your heavy infantry advantage. Now that it's 500 vs 300 it's more or less pissing me off again.

nanakisan

• Sanctus Acies. Ad honorem, Ad mortis
    • View Profile
    • My personal art gallery
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
I've had a rather intriguing idea floating in my mind lately. once Ariamis is under control and we re-take the newtons lands. I'm actually going to convert that terrain. Into a legitimate battle zone. Got a bone to pick with someone? Go to the Battle Mountains! Lay waste to your men in the frozen depths. Give us the story of how you and your army braved the cold depths just to survive a bloody battle in some far off land.

As for the Litranti, They were involved a long time ago with the Storm Brothers. However that was mere speculation from Vladimir. Who was probably grief stricken over the death of his wife in-game. Then started blaming the storms. The storms at the time were a strange raiding group. Who lived on the border edge of Litrati land. If memory served they also had a settlement within their lands. Then we get a war from apparent "rogue" nobles from Litranti. Eventually this issue was ceased by intervention from The Imperium.

Orion is one i also do not trust. But what can i say he is at least interested in maintaining the lands. Greedy or not its better they be ruled actively then in-actively no? then comes my major reformation change. I intend to rework Ariamis as a nation of trade. We all seem to have high production lands. With some regard some produce metal in the thousands (Gerardeska). Some produce food like mad rabbits. Some produce wood like crazy. If we can establish a working economy 1st. Then begin outter realm trades. I can see some interesting role play coming about.
I am a lunatic wrapped in bacon. Sprinkled with swiss, smoothered in mustard and then buried in lettuce. I'm delicious!

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
I've had a rather intriguing idea floating in my mind lately. once Ariamis is under control and we re-take the newtons lands. I'm actually going to convert that terrain. Into a legitimate battle zone. Got a bone to pick with someone? Go to the Battle Mountains! Lay waste to your men in the frozen depths. Give us the story of how you and your army braved the cold depths just to survive a bloody battle in some far off land.

I had actually been thinking about something similar, in a different location. I'd say something like 10 towns, each with the same level of forts and 1 militia. Two teams start, one on either side of the terrain, and whoever holds the most towns/destroys the other's force first wins.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »

Well, I did find your invented war more palatable once you announced designs on only the borderlands, but that was when we were fighting with roughly 300 vs 300 troops and I was beating you with superior movement despite your heavy infantry advantage. Now that it's 500 vs 300 it's more or less pissing me off again.

It's not like those 300 are all the troops are your disposal, nor do they fight as a single unified block. No war is going to be completely even, I did my best to frame our objectives to give you guys a easy last minute solution given your vastly superior co-ordination and travel times from having more smaller units. After all it a not 500 heavy infantry you face, nor do we have any significant amount of cavalry to call upon.

You beat us back, we committed our lesser reserves. You already beat our best equipped and best trained forces. Would you have preferred that we committed all these troops in a single block from the beginning?

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 05:24:59 AM »

You beat us back, we committed our lesser reserves. You already beat our best equipped and best trained forces. Would you have preferred that we committed all these troops in a single block from the beginning?

Your first wave contained 3 times as much heavy infantry as we had, period, and basically matched us for cavalry and mediums. The only thing we had the edge in was archers, and we found out that those pretty much completely suck against anything better than leather. Hamad wasn't kidding around when he said at the outset that seeking outside help was more or less inevitable given the weakness of his position.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:36 AM »

Your first wave contained 3 times as much heavy infantry as we had, period, and basically matched us for cavalry and mediums. The only thing we had the edge in was archers, and we found out that those pretty much completely suck against anything better than leather. Hamad wasn't kidding around when he said at the outset that seeking outside help was more or less inevitable given the weakness of his position.

And yet what happened to that 300? Less then twenty are still in play. Numbers tell only part of the story of battles. With regards to archers you underplay their use. Firstly get them decent experiance, kill ratio's improve dramatically with that. Secondly their real power is reducing morale before melee begins. A decent longbow company appears to significantly increase the damage your own meele can do in the first and subsequent rounds. Finally Tom has stated that archers continue to fire through out the battle, just the battle reports don't specify it. You have no way of telling how many wounds and kills are made by the archers in these rounds.

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »

Maybe I need to experiment more with archers, then. I was using longbows with 20-40 experience and seeing >80% hit percentage with <5% of those resulting in wounds.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »
Well, archers do become much less useful against heavy armour. Against light troops, they should be killers if deployed in numbers.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
I hope people dont accidentaly enter my lands when fighting there then... especially if they have big armies...

Also, this discussion does not seem to be Ariamis related :P , and i have to agree with archers main power being reducing morale.