Author Topic: Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise  (Read 7277 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
I wanted to hear stories and I got one. Instead of criticising his, how about you write your own?

Igelfeld

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
Igelfeld, as member of Ariamis myself, this is an interesting read.  This being said, it is definitely a little demeaning to every other member of the realm to claim that Ariamis is your story alone.  At one time yes, Nrillinthas was Ariamis, but there is much more to the realm now than that.   I can understand Vladimir Nrillinthas writing this way, but it's a little harsh for you to discredit players who value unity and mutual benefit enough to swear fealty to you even when they knew they did not need to.

That's fair critique and I agree, if the purpose was to write a historians guide to Ariamis, well it fell way short. But my aim for this was to write something for new players to read. I wrote it as a story and for the purpose of showing new players what can happen in the game.

henyr

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
Tom and Igelfeld, I'm sorry I wasn't meaning to criticise the story itself or its value to new players - which I do think is high.  It's awesome.  I suppose I was driven by the hurt feelings of my characters, I meant that it didn't necessarily reflect what happened/happens in the game itself.  But then again, the game is the story you make it into and Igelfeld is certainly turning Ariamis into a good story. Maybe I will write one myself, but only when David Renard accedes to Vladimir's throne.

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
  • "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »

An almost short history of the rise of Ascalon

There were the Bakavis river cuts through the vast Coi woods like a knife through butter, there was born Ascalon. The story of a single man and his relatives, a story of diplomacy and unity.

We find ourselves in a time when Roran of Arescod, leader to his House after his father Tyvandor had been dethroned due to an incident, first began gathering the support of other nobles to found their own Kingdom. It was in a harsh time, when the endless Rathgari hordes mustered for a grand invasion of the ancient and dormant Erstes Imperium, that Roran, one of the many nobles living in the large swaths of independant lands still found in the Central Corelands those days, concluded that in order for those indepedant nobles to retain their freedom and lordships, they would have to unite. He commenced by gathering the support of his old allies, the Houses of Rynir, le Drake, le Hart and Vilnar and combining with them to convince the local nobility of the necessity of this unification of lands to protect themselves from whichever giant would come out on top.

The Rathgari hordes of the North were a fiercesome race of warriors, a seemingly endless wave of human flesh demanding blood wherever they went, leaving only the ashes of their adversaries in their wake. Usually separated and brewing with internal conflict, who knew when they would unite once more and cast their gaze on the nobles living around the Coi woods?

The ancient and slumbering giant, the Erstes Imperium had been a great center of civilisation in the past, had slowly succumbed to decadency and corruption, most lords trying to grab as much land and power as they could. With the Rathgari invasion, would the giant be crippled, or woud he rise again, and continue the unstoppable annexation of lands as it had in the past?

Yes, the independant nobles in the center of the Corelands had enough to worry about. It was this sense of anticipation, this sense of fear, of resistance and self-preservation that Roran used to unite them under his lead. The young Kingdom of Ascalon, the stepping stone between Rathgar, the Imperium and the sea in the fold of the Corelands, rose while the first great Rathgari invasion crashed against the Imperium's defences like a tidal wave on a cliff. It seemed as if the very matter of their time rippled due to the effects of the horde's attack, when the weakened Imperium crumbled. The Rathgari warriors forced their way straight towards the capital of Lakehold like a dried leaf on fire, and as such reawakened an ancient fear in every noble of the Corelands, that Rathgar was alive, and hungry.

Despite the dramatic consequences for the inhabitants of the Imperium, the first Rathgari invasion only did good to Ascalon. Noble houses flocked together under the golden lion of Ascalon, desperate to protect themselves from the ever-approaching Rathgari borders or the chaos erupting within the Imperium after the invasion. It was at this point that the intentions of Ascalon changed with the addition of new and wise nobles to the realm, who insisted in proactively seeking out noble houses to join the Kingdom, lest to protect them from the chaos in the world. Ascalon was to become a peaceful beacon, a place where people could go to escape the war-thorn lands of Rathgar and Erstes, a place that was neutral, and would stay neutral. With limited succes the borders of Ascalon expanded slowly, untill they met those of both the Imperium and those of the Rathgari colonists.

The first contact with both large feared entitities were mostly positive, which was considerably surprising. The colonists of Rathgar consisted mostly of peaceful settlers who were easily persuaded to halt further colonisation. On the other side when the Ascalonians met the Imperium the smaller states they encountered were eager to trade and found friendly relations, which onlly strenghtened the idea of a free and independant Ascalon, while however, decreasing the urge for independant nobles to join them. The chaos seemed to have disappeared.

As time progressed, and Ascalon expanded towards the West, assimilating the entire culture of Central Coreland into a single realm, that a new event shocked the known world, for the second time in the first year. The second Rathgari Invasion left the Imperium gasping for breath, while shortly after the kingdom of D'hara declared its independance from the Imperium due to its incapability to protect it, aswell as the widespread corruption in the Imperium. This is when the Kingdom's goals changed from becoming a beacon of neutrality into becoming a seperate Kingdom, and develop its own culture. Despite friendly relations with realms both in- and outside of the Rathgar confederation and the Erstes Imperium, the Kingdom of Ascalon prepared for any threats while organizing itself.

The internal politics of Ascalon were based on the different noble houses joining the realm under King Roran. As such each noble house claimed its own part of the land, forming a kingdom made of a large amount of small and concentrated holdings. As time progressed, the larger and more dominant noble houses rose to become the first Dukes under King Roran, but with this event, problems arose. One of the most powerful families had been struck by the Sleeping Disease, marking the third quarter of the first year, and left a vacuum of power that caused envy and chaos to strike. As the sleeping disease left Ascalon, it left a Kingdom that was partly organised and fucntioning in perfect fashion, and another part that was on the verge of drawing arms against eachother.

However, once more King Roran and his advisors displayed their skill as uniters of the realm, and solved the conflict by redrawing the maps of Ascalon, preparing it to look outwards instead of inwards, and concentrate on its new goal: To become a beacon of chivalry in the Corelands.

A quick totally subjective description of Ascalon and the first year and first quarter of the second year. I'm really fighting against the Sleeping Disease in the Kingdom atm, and fresh blood that likes to RP can hopefully shake things up to create a vivid culture of chivalry in Ascalon.

Is this what you're looking for Tom? I can always edit it to fit whatever goal you have in mind for it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:57:05 PM by Roran Hawkins »
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »
Totally, though the shorter the better as it's intended for new players who might not read a wall of text.

Alumaani

• View Profile

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 10:57:03 PM »
Need to edit and add stories and content but it will follow the major events the Alumaani are involved in over the years.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »
http://thealumaani.weebly.com/

That's awesome and a good example for the community, looking forward to updates. Personally though I don't think making a website is for me, however I will certainly enrich the wiki at least, eventually.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »
I've seen several people linking to characters and regions on messages, like wiki's [links], but couldn't find a reference on how it is done. Maybe add the information to the manual, or to the 'syntax help' button.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »
I've seen several people linking to characters and regions on messages, like wiki's [links], but couldn't find a reference on how it is done. Maybe add the information to the manual, or to the 'syntax help' button.

You use the three boxes at the top of the message entry field. Select the correct one (realm, settlment, character) and then start typing the name of the thing you are trying to link. The system will then produce a list of items that match, select the item and the correct markup is placed into your message.

For reference it uses [r:realm_id], [s:settlement_id], [c:character_id].
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

You use the three boxes at the top of the message entry field. Select the correct one (realm, settlment, character) and then start typing the name of the thing you are trying to link. The system will then produce a list of items that match, select the item and the correct markup is placed into your message.

For reference it uses [r:realm_id], [s:settlement_id], [c:character_id].

Yes, I learned after asking OoC in my realm. I might be somewhat slow, for it was not very intuitive to me. I guess my suggestion is to dumb it a bit.

netforce10

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
 I also had to ask and I agree that it is not obvious even though it seems like it would be.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 11:41:30 PM »
It sure seems like it should be, but if it isn't - help me to make it. Sometimes just one word is missing somewhere. Tell me which one and where.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:54 AM »
It sure seems like it should be, but if it isn't - help me to make it. Sometimes just one word is missing somewhere. Tell me which one and where.

Maybe a little (?) icon which you can hover and read something like "Fill the appropriate field and select the desired option to produce a link accessible to readers."?

Devonus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
As a relatively new player, actually not relatively, i'm only a few days old, but i poored through alot of material before even creating my first character, and there is still tons i'm not sure of (However some of that i understand, there is a part of me that wants solid/documented troop stats, but then the game just turns into an rts/how many solider beats x amount of cavalry etc etc)

Anyways, one of the things i'm having fun with, and is helping me understand the mechanics better, is that i managed to scoop up a bandit character. Its allowing me to experiment with warfare, LOS, action range, etc etc. Things that though documented, are not quite intuitive at first (Such as the different ways to raid a settlement, etc etc)

To help cover the warfare aspect side of things, perhaps have a certain number of reserved bandits exclusive to new players (I dont know how hard that would be to code). These bandits would receive automated messages covering the bare bones basics of at least movement, attacking, defending, etc etc. It will also help more action oriented New players, who are more just into the war side of things get a taste of whats to come.

Starting off fresh, I know my character will most likely not be involved in any direct war fare soon (which doesnt bother me, i'm here for the rp supported by game mechanics), but its nice to see and experiment with the potential. It will also help minimize the need for realms/lieges to walk thier new player vassels through the basic mechanics of combat before a war.