Author Topic: Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise  (Read 8245 times)

Alumaani

• View Profile
Re: Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
I use a system called Net Promoter Score http://netpromotersystem.com

We survey our clients once a month with the questiona:

On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend our service to a colleague or friend?

What was the primary reason for your score?

9-10 likely promoters
7-8 Passive subscribers
0-6 Detractors

The concept is simple, those that score 9-10 will promote your service and increase revenue, passive and detractor scores are costing you money and may even lose you potential clients through complaints and negative comments.  The number of promoters is taken from the remainder and a percentage calculated, we then work on increasing that every month based upon the answers to the primary reason question.

Worth looking at as a method from improving your subscription rates without delving too deeply into marketing?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
I hate the 0-10 systems. They make me not want to take surveys again. I have no problem answering questions, or even with approve/disapprove scales, but I despise the "on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being best possible, how do you rate" things. Too many options. Maybe I'll just hit 10 on everything to screw with companies now.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
I hate the 0-10 systems. They make me not want to take surveys again. I have no problem answering questions, or even with approve/disapprove scales, but I despise the "on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being best possible, how do you rate" things. Too many options. Maybe I'll just hit 10 on everything to screw with companies now.

I have the same issue. Especially if you're going to limit an already limited audience by ignoring the 7's and 8's. Very few players would rate the average game, even one they subscribe to, a 9 or 10.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
I personally prefer 1-5 scales for psychological reasons (1-10 is too much, 5 is a number you can "see" in your mind). But in general, yeah something very simple to get a feel for the player base would be nice. We could put it on the character screen or somewhere, have it very simple with stars or whatever graphical to click, done, reason optional.

Would that work?

Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »
I prefer words to numbers - it removes some of the ambiguity (for example on 1-10 scales I've seen people put 7 as average, 6 as a bit below expectations)

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
I didnt create it guys and everybody has their preferences but 0-10 is use widely because of the following:

Errors occur when scoring from one, despite additional text as individuals often feel number 1 is the high score, 0 is classed as low in everyones mind and it is hard to account for how many people will have scored 1 for a high mark in error.

Whilst some people feel that this question may annoy them, statistically speaking it is employed by many major world brands eg. apple because it gets the highest response rate. 

It is designed not with your personal likes in mind, but in terms of response rates and how related those responses are to actual business metrics.  This method, using a similar question, is the single most accurate way of gathering data of a clients likelihood to recommend you and its correlation with your business activity.  For instance if you NPS score is low but your profits are high, you KNOW your business is failing because your clients are unhappy.  Vanity metrics such as GP and Turnover may be high, but if your clients are unhappy, its not going to last.

Words contain a huge amount of potential for error due to context and perception, eg 'good' means to you might be something different to me.  Numerical values tend to have a higher degree of accuracy which is why they are used widely by medical practitioners to assess pain levels in patients they treat.

You don't ignore any of the numbers, especially the passives.  The score gives you a benchmark to improve upon not a focus on a particular group.  For instance if I had 100 clients and I carried out this test with a 100% response rate and 60 were detractors, 20 were passive and 20 were promoters I would have a 20% Net Promoter Score (My business calculates it differently to the website).  I then look at the responses to the second question for all of the passive and detractors to find a common denominator or the most prevalent reasoning for the low scores and work on them.  I then test the changes for 1 month and post another survey and this time I get a 25% NPS, I know that the relationship between my score and clients perceptions are accurate and that by continuing in this manner I can increase loyalty, retention and recommendations through making the passives AND the detractors happier through the satisfaction of their issues/complaints.  I also have converted some detractors who will have most likely taken up my administration time with complaints and potential lost revenue from bad word of mouth.

It's a survey that really needs to go out by emails or pop up infrequently, say once a month, once a quarter or every six months as you need the time to effect changes and quantify the results.

@Andrew/Tom/Gustav

Everybody has different likes and dislikes, what is completely irrelevant is what we think individually, what counts is the response rate.  The initial survey goes out and the response rate is calculated, if its high then great, you have a winning survey!  If it's low you modify the question, perhaps you lower the scale to 1-5 then monitor the response rate, if it's higher you're changes are good, lower or the same they were bad, change something else...this continues until you optimise your response rate from your particular client group, it is only at this point that you will know what fits for the majority as opposed to each individual and you will have the perfect survey for your business.

Sorry for length of post...

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »
Excellent post, thank you!

I've done some more thinking and I believe you are right about the scale. 0-10.

Why? Because 1-5 or sometimes 1-6 are used in many countries as grading systems, and they can have different meanings. For example, here in Germany a 2 means "good" and a 5 means "fail", and 6 is very rarely used because it means you're so horrible it was impossible to rate it. But in Russia (for example), it's the other way around and you would be happy about a 5 and very sad about a 2, and nobody ever receives a 1 because it's one step short of just shooting you.

Using a 1-5 scale could cause dissonance with school grades. 0-10 doesn't have this danger, at least I know of no country using such a scale.

Yeah, let's go with something like this. One question to the experts: Is it better to present this at intervals, or continuously? I could, like Apple, simply have a box somewhere and you can rate and change your rating at any time you feel like it. Or I could pop it up for three days every month or whatever.

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
What works for me is a survey once a month direct to my clients but you could have a mix, a box present at all times for real-time feed and a periodic survey but ensure that you don't mix the data up when working out a NPS.  You will need the second question to know what to fix and to much of that input can leave you spinning when it comes to prioritizing your next fix.  Its mostly about playing with it until you have a model that works for you.

It's paradoxically simple but extremely complex.

Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
Words contain a huge amount of potential for error due to context and perception, eg 'good' means to you might be something different to me.  Numerical values tend to have a higher degree of accuracy which is why they are used widely by medical practitioners to assess pain levels in patients they treat.

I'm no expert in surveys but when I did that module my lecturer cited ambiguity as the one major flaw with number scales versus words scales, not a strength.

Words also allow for the inclusion of 'don't know' and 'don't care' as valid choices, which otherwise would be scored a neutral 5 (or 7 in the UK, can't speak for other countries) but are completely different to 'I care a lot about this but it's only average'.

From my understanding:

The key strengths of numbers are universal understanding (language barriers, undereducated populations), ease of statistical analysis (you don't need to convert the words to numbers to rate them - only really applies to paper surveys though rather than online ones which can be trivially converted). Number scales also give finer graining - you can't really go above 6 word options.

The downside of numbers is ambiguity - you can get around it by assigning words to points on the scale to try to keep people consistent but it gets a bit messy if you go too far.

The advantages of word scales are that it helps respondents analyse the question by giving them descriptive cues on their response, helps respondents know how their response will be interpreted and can get more nuance in the opinion rather than a 2-dimensional scale.

The main problems with words are language barriers, and more importantly (in a population that is educated and reasonably fluent) the danger that a badly worded survey will cause people to try to fit a response in to a category that doesn't really match, because nothing matches, or that the answers will be biased (worded to force you towards an opinion) but that's more a problem with things like political surveys or referenda.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
What's wrong with the tried and true Likert scale.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 10:55:25 PM »
I think what would really help us are testimonial-like stories.

Stories sell, especially game that is all about them. How can we source a dozen or so stories from our players? Should we prepare some question and then help them generate a narrative out of that? The story of some characters or families, that's what I'm going for.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 11:46:05 PM »
I think what would really help us are testimonial-like stories.

Stories sell, especially game that is all about them. How can we source a dozen or so stories from our players? Should we prepare some question and then help them generate a narrative out of that? The story of some characters or families, that's what I'm going for.

I would think the Drama in Hawks would make for a testimonial.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Igelfeld

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
A lot of this is out of character information, I ask that you not use it against me:

Ariamis is the story of how a landless soldierless First One becomes King of the third largest realm in less than a half of a year (2 months real time). The short answer? Deceit and trickery.

With just a few estates and one knight, Ariamis stands surrounded by more powerful realms with more lords, more lands, and far more soldiers… But those realms don’t know that. Starting with the low hanging fruit, Vladimir gathers every last soldier in the realm and goes to his weakest neighbor.

“Hello, these are but a few of my forces… Join with me and your yoke will be easy and your burden light… or pay ‘protection’ which will be rather steep and harsh!” Says King Vladimir Nrillinthas. They join and double the size of Ariamis.

With lies and convoluted logic the King convinces the most powerful realm of the region that it is indeed just the SECOND most powerful realm. They join and the rest of the area falls like dominoes to the now true strength of Ariamis.

What now? With Vladimir and his offspring being somewhat insane and the dukes getting wise to his imperialistic and conniving ways, attempts on the Kings life have started to increase. And since he hates the one kind and good offspring of his, when he dies the crown is likely to go to the somewhat promiscuous princess who happens to be betrothed to the Prince of the largest realm in the world. And she also happens to have a bastard by a chief enemy of that realm. But that bastards safely tucked away in the churches keeping and not to be worried about... we think.  However, the other bastard roams ‘safely’ around Ariamis and has a very unique characteristic for a Nrillinthas: He’s generally kind and likeable... he might not live long. The King will die and what will happen then? Will the dukes unite to push their own agenda? Will there be a war among the Nrillinthas Family to determine who gets to rule? or will someone else find a way to capture the crown?

let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:41:26 AM by Igelfeld »

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 01:45:15 AM »
Sounds fun. But wouldn't that be more of an RP idea, and not New Player advise?

henyr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »
Igelfeld, as member of Ariamis myself, this is an interesting read.  This being said, it is definitely a little demeaning to every other member of the realm to claim that Ariamis is your story alone.  At one time yes, Nrillinthas was Ariamis, but there is much more to the realm now than that.   I can understand Vladimir Nrillinthas writing this way, but it's a little harsh for you to discredit players who value unity and mutual benefit enough to swear fealty to you even when they knew they did not need to.