Author Topic: Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise  (Read 8207 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
I'm working on retention of new players and one of the things I want to do is give them more hints and pointers to things they might miss by themselves.

These should take the form of short hints, one or two sentences and maybe(!) one picture. Basically like what you see in many games today on the loading screens: "Did you know that ..."

Now here is where you can help me. Tell me which features you thought "wow this is cool" when you discovered them. Help me make a list of maybe a dozen or so hints that would really help getting new players into the game more.

Stonedman

• View Profile
Re: Players: Your Ideas for New Player Advise
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
Do not try to build troop facilities / defences the instant you gain a neutral village.
First priority is  1) dirt Roads 2) Marked 3) Mill. once you have them develop as you want.

Igelfeld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:05:53 AM »
One of the coolest things for me was the idea of building power through different channels: Political, Military, and Economic. When this game is at its best it's more like Game of Thrones and Diplomacy than Medieval Total War or Medieval Sims. This is a game where you can scheme, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but you're always free to go after what you want. I think that's one thing new players who leave don't really get. Sure you just swore an oath, but if that guy isn't doing anything interesting just go after what you want until someone stops you, if someone tries to stop you try and convince them to join you are accept you as their vassal. It's best if the liege can bring characters into the scheming, but if they can't then telling them it's OK is really the way to go.

Also, I really liked learning about the structure and development of settlements: how building a guardhouse lets you build a barracks than can train medium infantry and so on. If one of the more graphic design oriented players feels like having a go at it, creating an image of the development tree would be really cool.

One other thing you might want to get is some testimonials of current players. This is a good video about how to give a great testimonial and why they work:
http://socialtriggers.com/perfect-testimonial/

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »
Here's the tech tree in all its glory (warning, 1.8 MB): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9638874/maf/techtree.png

But yes, all those are good ideas. We just need to condense them down into small bites for new players.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
One other thing you might want to get is some testimonials of current players. This is a good video about how to give a great testimonial and why they work:
http://socialtriggers.com/perfect-testimonial/

I like this.

Does someone feel like helping me out here? I do have a very special unique reward in mind for people who help me with this markething things that I'm so bad at.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
the tech tree is interesting.
Are you able to put a scale for settlement size on it to show the progression of settlements ?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
I like this.

Does someone feel like helping me out here? I do have a very special unique reward in mind for people who help me with this markething things that I'm so bad at.

The first thing is that you'll need to identify the different types of players. What type of person are they? What games do they predominately play? What part of this game appeals to them? Basically, ask a lot of questions. Any question you think might be pertinent. Hell, give me a list, I can setup a survey system for you on the fansite. I'll add it to my projects for the upcoming weekend.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
That's my problem: I don't even know what questions to ask. I am really a loser when it comes to marketing.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
That's my problem: I don't even know what questions to ask. I am really a loser when it comes to marketing.

What is it with today? I mean seriously?! First I get an idea at work for a project. This evening I got ideas for the fan site. Bah.

I hate you all. (That's "Challenge Accepted" for those who don't speak "Andrew-ese") :P

Everyone, group project, give me every single question you think you've ever seen in a survey.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Igelfeld

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
The first thing is that you'll need to identify the different types of players.
Here's a list of possible player types I'm coming up with as I write it:

Experimenter - someone who wants to see if they manage to do X. This probably goes into most of the other ones and, in my opinion if people don't have some level of this, they really wont have that much fun playing. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Social player - (this is what I consider myself to be) one who enjoys playing with persuasion and influence to get things done or create interesting situations

Competitor - a person who sees this like a strategy game that they can "beat" people at. We all probably have a little of this in us as well.

Developer - someone who likes to create cool places or people with interesting stories.

Chaos creator - some people just like causing mischief. Storm Brothers I'm looking at you  ;) .

Looking at this list, I think that I actually play  each of  my characters a little differently and focus on different goals with them that correlate to these player types.

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »
Builder, a person who wants to get through the tech tree?

Igelfeld

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
Builder, a person who wants to get through the tech tree?

Absolutely. Does anyone else have ideas about why people play? I think I'm going to set up a google form to gather some data about what people like about the game. After that I'll craft a few emails and ask for your feedback on them. If all goes well we can get some email retention marketing going for Tom by the end of next week.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »
That's interesting, but right now I'd like to have short texts to send to new players on what to do and reminders of features that they might not have noticed.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »

Absolutely. Does anyone else have ideas about why people play? I think I'm going to set up a google form to gather some data about what people like about the game. After that I'll craft a few emails and ask for your feedback on them. If all goes well we can get some email retention marketing going for Tom by the end of next week.

I was going to setup a survey this weekend actually to gather this data, and a lot other interesting things about the players.

Tali

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:19:01 AM »
Kallergis family. | House Bluelake on BM.