Author Topic: Food Redistribution  (Read 1871 times)

Alumaani

• View Profile
Food Redistribution
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »
As one of the players with a large military force the introduction of this was a massive pain in the ass.  I have to stay off the forums for a time just in case I wrote something I might later regret as I was determined to see the whole process through to completion before I commented.  I feel now that I have managed to do this and all of my regions are once again stable or stabalizing after huge deaths and starvation.

My opinion now?  I think it is an excellent introduction and will really benefit the realism of this already great game!  It has reduced my force and I presume that of other powerful players considerably but in line with how it should be.  An infinite number of troops is just not realistic and the benefits of fielding armies that dont eat needed to go and gone it has.  I now field a more modest force but one that is held in balance with estate development and village production and I really feel that it is probably one of the best additions to the game to date.

Looking forward to hearing other feedback following the initial phase of 'shit, shit, shit...everyones starving!'

Cynic

• View Profile
Re: Food Redistribution
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
I think you're right - it certainly limits the continual urge to keep building more troops because you could always be more prepared. I'm in no danger of reaching the point where I can't support any more but I have stopped automatically queueing up light infantry whenever my training ground is empty.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
I am thinking about some changes to make ramping up for war quicker, though. Something like a basic combat training option where you can make a limited number of peasants "prepared" for soldier duty, so when you recruit them they won't take the full time, but like half of it. but right now that's only thoughts and I have more important things to fix first.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »
Maybe some sort of "Draft" option.
Lets you quickly get troops in the field with the gear you have available in the settlement, BUT... they come with an exp penalty, maybe coded to only operate at like 50% effectiveness to show they are not properly trained troops.
When those troops are disbanded, the gear is then automatically put back in the settlements stores (if disbanded in the settlement) so you can go ahead over time and recruit proper troops.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »
Making war 'easier' is a good idea.

Suggestion: Troop qualities assumed equal, currently the one bringing more troops to a battle wins (as there is not yet any possibility for a defensive stance). In addition, a lost battle results in a hefty ammount of troops killed 'while fleeing'. This makes a lost major battle quite deadly - to the smaller side. With two sides evenly matched I would currently be _very_ careful before engaging in a major battle due to this - I want to make very sure that I bring more troops to it than the other side. Being weaker than your opponent you can only hope that he divides his forces - or attacks heavy fortifications....otherwise there is little you can do against a considerably stronger opponent.

The disadvantage of 'being smaller' combined with relatively decisive single battles likely makes players more hesitant about engaging in a fight than is good for the game.

I would suggest changing that in a way that results in the losing side losing more _time_ and less of soldiers....one possibility would be that instead of killing fleeing troops they 'throw away their weapons' and need to resupply....or maybe losing troops need to be retrained for 20 units each. This would remove them from the immediate battlefield - but allow a loosing side a bit more resilence. I am sure there are score of other ideas as well. Anything that leads to more battles with them being a bit less decisive.

LGMAlpha

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »
I'm very happy that it was introduced for a few reasons. First being that I really just didn't want to continually keep my training queue full. I didn't sign up to play text based total war. Even right now, I'm getting close to the amount of soldiers that I'd like to have. I really didn't want to have to manage 1,000+ troops myself.

Second, that mobile soldiers did not consume food benefited Rathgar significantly, and would have allowed their army, or any army really, to grow without bounds with no one else having a hope of catching up.

Third, it makes for something more interesting when wars actually do come about. I mean by that, I imagine most characters are going to build up a well equipped force and stop training or trade trained soldiers for other resources. Now when a war starts, those troops are going to go off to battle and be killed. Some of those casualties will be troops that have existed for months or longer, and represent a rather significant investment. After a defeat, those troops are going to have to be replaced, and in war time, that will likely mean low quality troops filling the gaps. Somewhat connected to my second point, is not having massive standing army reserves means that a larger realm, with neighbors, might be less likely to devote all their troops to war as some smaller power might come along to take advantage of the lapse in defense.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
I would suggest changing that in a way that results in the losing side losing more _time_ and less of soldiers....one possibility would be that instead of killing fleeing troops they 'throw away their weapons' and need to resupply....

I've already reduced casualty rates for the pursuit phase dramatically.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
Second, that mobile soldiers did not consume food benefited Rathgar significantly

bollocks. it benefited EVERYONE.
Everyone had the same opportunity to raise troops (talking about all players who were here from the start / very early on.

LGMAlpha

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
bollocks. it benefited EVERYONE.Everyone had the same opportunity to raise troops (talking about all players who were here from the start / very early on.

I don't mean it benefited you unfairly, only that Rathgar benefited more from it because no one else has/had anywhere near the troop numbers. For example, the only times I've had more than ~100 troops mobile is when I was taking them to battle. The rest have all been garrisoned.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:27:15 PM by LGMAlpha »

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
I've already reduced casualty rates for the pursuit phase dramatically.

Thanks Tom!

And note that I wholeheartedly support mobile troops needing food. Them not eating would only end in huge imbalances rather sooner than later, even aside all Rathgar/non-Rathgar issues.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 11:32:14 PM »
bollocks. it benefited EVERYONE.Everyone had the same opportunity to raise troops (talking about all players who were here from the start / very early on.

Very true. I placed a restriction on myself not to produce light infantry after the 2nd week of the game. Even using just scale and chain armour I amassed a force that is no longer viable. I am fortunate there, my job is in the Tech Sector so I am online a lot and can easily flick over and check things. Not everyone is in that situation. The food code goes
some way to balancing the advantage of hyper activity. You can never eradicate the advantages, but there is no reason to make the game unapproachable by those who don't spend time online everyday.
He who was once known as Blackfyre