Author Topic: Attacking from inside walls  (Read 1116 times)

LGMAlpha

Attacking from inside walls
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
In battle 1481, my heavy infantry were routed and killed by a slightly larger group of medium infantry. It was such a decisive defeat, I am curious if the walls counted against me despite being inside.

Stonedman

• View Profile
Re: Attacking from inside walls
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »
I'm wondernig about defending from inside walls.

I believe that if my characters are inside my settlement, inside the walls / palisade, then they are attacked by forces from outside the walls, then the garrison wont join the fight.
But will the walls / palisade still be effective?

I am wondering whether it is even worth taking First Ones into a settlement which is going to be besieged by an enemy, as if they can just use the exploit/bug/feature of attacking the first Ones and thus ignoring the walls / garrison, kinda makes it detrimental having them there in the first place. Also the food changes mean mobilising the garrison onto the First one would change the food balance drastically.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:07 AM »
I'm wondernig about defending from inside walls.

I believe that if my characters are inside my settlement, inside the walls / palisade, then they are attacked by forces from outside the walls, then the garrison wont join the fight.
But will the walls / palisade still be effective?

I am wondering whether it is even worth taking First Ones into a settlement which is going to be besieged by an enemy, as if they can just use the exploit/bug/feature of attacking the first Ones and thus ignoring the walls / garrison, kinda makes it detrimental having them there in the first place. Also the food changes mean mobilising the garrison onto the First one would change the food balance drastically.

At least they can't initate a battle from outside. It is annoying though if they have one character inside and can start battles that everyone can join, it is a real problem when defending a newly taken settlement. Very hard to get rid of any remenant forces inside without exposing yourself.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »
Militia will NEVER join a battle against nobles that you initiate, it will ONLY fight in battles where the enemy is attacking the settlement.

Right now, inside/outside code is still full of holes, allowing these exploits. However, ONLY by using "attack settlement" can an attacker actually enter the settlement. As long as he attacks nobles outside or "outside-going-inside", or even initiates with a traitor inside and then joins - the forces outside will stay outside.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »
no, i mean if my nobles are inside a fortified settlement, set to defend it.
will bad guys outside the settlement, be able to initiate combat against my nobles inside defending it, bypassing the garrison, or do they need to attack the settlement?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »
will bad guys outside the settlement, be able to initiate combat against my nobles inside defending it, bypassing the garrison, or do they need to attack the settlement?

That particular bug was fixed quite some time ago. You cannot from outside the settlement initate a battle against someone inside.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

They cannot attack you, they need to attack the settlement.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
cool, I was just setting up to test that myself, and it seems to work correctly now. Woop woop. I can make use of the walls in my settlements :)