Author Topic: The White Company  (Read 7650 times)

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
Re: The White Company
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 02:04:48 AM »
1) Complain about perceived OOC collusion something something
2) ???
3) Threaten OOC

You guys are a funny bit of work, y'know?

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 02:14:38 AM »
I neither complained, nor threatened you. I merely stated the facts of the situation.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:31:42 AM by Gustav Kuriga »

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 02:17:05 AM »
I was obviously moonsick when I made that statement. Pshj.Begone, vile beggar!
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 04:06:12 AM »
I neither complained, nor threatened you. I merely stated the facts of the situation.

Oh, that was a threat. I do think it's awfully  funny that you're threatening OOC'ly with what I already know IC'ly to be exaggerated on one count and an outright falsehood on another count.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 04:08:42 AM »
If that's what you want to believe, I won't stop you.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
Well someone's a duplicitous little bastard.  :'(

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
Know that any attack you might make currently would be an attack on Hawks, which we are still technically a part of. So unless you wish to face an attack from Grand Fate, I'd curtail any current plans you might have.

The Hawks do have a agreement to defend the White Company, though it is rather specific in what it would cover. The Grand Fate has no obligation what so ever to defend the White Company, nor the Hawks in general when it comes down to it.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Velrun

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »
Well someone's a duplicitous little bastard.  :'(

Without context this message is largely meaningless. May we assume that Huntsmaster perhaps knew some what more then you gave him credit for?

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
I actually have no idea where this problem sprouted from. I handed over command and suddenly people are talking about marriages and false treaties of the White Company taking large swathes of land and illegitimate treaties...

I seriously have no clue where this all come from, and I was a part of the peace negotiations. I find it rather amusing to watch, as my character is currently suffering from the Sleeping Disease. He'll however survive it eventually, becoming more active again once my finals are over. He just keeps reading these messages like "Whut? What? Huhn? When did this happen? How? lol?"
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
Apparently I hadn't realized as a player that Nyrath Raude is the leader of Channelwood, not Red Forest, until it was too late. So I negotiated peace with the Baroness rather than the Count. I had originally given her more regions as part of the peace treaty, but she insisted on having Chatitorn in exchange for two others. So we come to the situation where it looks like the White Company is taking more than it really is, because nobles are confusing a peace agreement, which is basically a ceasefire, for a permanent agreement.

Add to that some really bizarre backpedaling by Alexios, and it's turning into a travesty.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 04:18:35 AM »
It's turning into amusing, as far as I'm concerned.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
It's turning into amusing, as far as I'm concerned.

For you, perhaps, but for me it's causing a lot of stress as I have to go back and forth trying to put out fires. Even OOC I'm frankly bewildered at the responses.

Huntsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »
So we come to the situation where it looks like the White Company is taking more than it really is, because nobles are confusing a peace agreement, which is basically a ceasefire, for a permanent agreement.

Add to that some really bizarre backpedaling by Alexios, and it's turning into a travesty.

I think you meant to say "You come to the situation where everyone realizes the White Company is taking more than they were hired for."

As far as the rest of it goes, I think it would be fair to assume that White Company-Channelwood negotiations were not the only diplomatic talks occurring.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »

I think you meant to say "You come to the situation where everyone realizes the White Company is taking more than they were hired for."

As far as the rest of it goes, I think it would be fair to assume that White Company-Channelwood negotiations were not the only diplomatic talks occurring.

We only took the regions to deny their resources to Red Forest since at the time they weren't negotiating. I wasn't even in command at any level by the time we had most the regions, so any accusations that they were my idea is baseless.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
For you, perhaps, but for me it's causing a lot of stress as I have to go back and forth trying to put out fires. Even OOC I'm frankly bewildered at the responses.
Its not complicated lets look at things
  • Nothing in any of the messages in the peace treaty imply that a second treaty would be forthcomming or that it is a ceasefire. In general I would not consider territory dealings in a "temporary" ceasefire, a ceasefire is a an agreement to cease hostilies so such things can be discussed. I even asked your character what they planned to do with all the land the Company was claiming and was meet with silence.

"Countess Nyrath,The White Company is currently looking to finish its current contract as quick as possible. We do not want to see the destruction of Red Forest, as that would reduce the market available to hire our services.
    Now to the actual terms. We will return the settlements of: Edaibavan, Bakaijex, Ramomold, Vaistanau, Silisalida, and Telaholan to the county of Red Forest. Please note that this is merely the peace terms of the White Company, and you may petition to have more regions returned to you from Hawks in a separate negotiation with them.
    In return, the White Company shall receive Chatitorn and will keep all other settlements currently occupied by our forces.Margrave Alexios, we will be expecting Sothuston, Calna, and Maremos to be incorporated into the White Company at the soonest possible convenience to you.With the agreement to these terms, I will consider our contract complete. Hopefully that is to the satisfaction of everyone?"

Nothing in that sounds temporary to me, nor to my understanding did it seem so to the player of Lady Nyrath
  • The Land arrangement would give White Company about 1/3 of the total land held by Hawks. That gives my character pause, that is a large amount of power and resources to a group that does not owe him the same level of fealty as his Barons
  • I found out that you plan to marry Lady Nyrath. Suddenly the "non" political mercenary company is very political (This is medieval fantasy after all, marriages are politics). Having the new largest land holder in my realm marry into a family with whom my character has never had good relations is hardly something to look forward to.
[/l]

• External pressure. Surely you understand that neighbouring powers are not that fond of a mercenary company in the area to start with. Mercanaries are always viewed with suspicion. A mercenary company with significant land resources more so.
  • I mentioned in the conversation that Lady Nyrath could speak only for Channelwood, and suggested that a peace deal specifically with her barony be arranged rather then persisting in speaking of a peace with Red Forest with her. You either missed it or ignored it

"May I assume you speak only for your barony lady Nyrath? If so then I suggest the White Company and Channelwood declare peace, and then you can all worry about coming to terms with Count Aurvang."
  • Ignoring Alexios instructions in the matter, so early in the relationship with White Company destroyed any Trust Alexios had in the new commander. Alexios has taken a large risk in granting land to a unpopular mercenary company after all. Right now he questions why he took such a risk and is acting to protect himself.
  • When warned that others within the isles where rattling sabres about the deal, your reply was a rather cocky

by Alexios Eirenikos on 2-12-4 (June 2, 2014 00:42)
    Let me be blunt. The rest of the Republic of the Grand Fate is none to pleased with the current situation. If the peace treaty was to include only the regions originally proposed, with some changes due to the fact Lady Nyrath wishes to retain Chatitorn, then I believe I can come to an arrangement with them. Should matters persist such that the White Company claims the greater part of Red Forest, then I believe they will move in force to restore Red Forest.

by Sadamune Ishida on 2-12-4 (June 2, 2014 02:02)
    Oh, and attack the husband of Nyrath Raude? I find that highly unlikely.

So right now Alexios has several things to consider. Firstly he brought this group to the Isles and they have done nothing in their first outing but earn the anger of pretty much every major power in the isles. He seemingly does not even have the little power or influence over them that he desired. He granted them lands and several hundred soldiers in payment for a contract, and finds that the conditions of the contract are ignored as soon as the White Company can spy something better in the offering. And a group that had promised to be apolitical is busy with political marriages. Typical behaviour for a mercenary group, and one which has earned them a typical response.
[/list]
He who was once known as Blackfyre