Author Topic: Not worth playing anymore.  (Read 16415 times)

kellaine

• King of D`Hara
    • View Profile
Not worth playing anymore.
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:39:27 AM »
I will not rage, But The reason I am leaving the game is simple.  Those that were able to contribute to the crowdfunding campaign and those aligned with them have an unfair advantage over the rest of us.  They got a 1-2 month head start in building and training troops.  There really is no competing with that.

The Game needs to be restarted with everyone starting as equals or at least an even playing ground.

I will check in every so often to see what is going on. It really is the best game I have ever played and I love it.  But to always be on the losing side becuase you did not have the funds to donate is more than a little frustrating.
Thatcher Family

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not worth playing anymore.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:20:30 AM »
I will not rage, But The reason I am leaving the game is simple.  Those that were able to contribute to the crowdfunding campaign and those aligned with them have an unfair advantage over the rest of us.  They got a 1-2 month head start in building and training troops.

While this is true to a certain extent, many of us crowdfunders held settlements that we intended to hand over to new players once they appeared. It could be that you just started in a bad area of the map or were just overambitious in trying to fight too soon (I don't know your situation, and if you were attacked or something).

Come over to my territory (Mercia) and I'll see that you get a much better start (decent settlement/s and some advanced soldiers).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:23:52 AM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:23:39 AM »
I think whatever stabilising and delaying features that are intended to limit the rate at which a winner can take over a loser haven't been implemented yet (distances, supplies, etc., bits of them have appeared, but there's nothing that's going to cause a large army to hiccough before just continuing to roll forwards). Combined with far too much coherence in large regions of the map (huge tracts of land with no internal conflict, and little conflict with the neighbouring huge tracts of land) and too much honour and friendship preventing paranoia and squabbling it just results in big blobs getting bigger. Finally, the three powers are completely uneven. Rathgar is most active, took and developed most land, and loves to attack outsiders. Erstes Imperium is nearly inactive, half developed and pretty passive. Fading Isles seem to be playing around with the smaller realms while keeping to themselves (looks to me like doing exactly what they should), so there's no large power in any sort of position to even make Rathgar think twice.

Erstes Imperium is a big problem. Three of the four original Dukes aren't playing, half of the other players aren't playing, those that are playing have been landlocked by having few/no regions nearby to take since they followed the recommendations to make a solid block of land rather than leaving gaps to expand into, and therefore control very few villages. Diplomacy seems to be pretty non-existent despite me poking on several occasions (I'd have thought the looming threat of the Northmen might produce some allies, apparently zero). It might currently be able to compete with one Rathgari clan if the others didn't interfere, but no more than that.

You're just caught in the middle.

Having said that, I don't see why you should expect to compete, but that's not the end of the game, I think you should reconsider leaving - Is there any way you can politically turn away the attackers? or give up on D'Hara and recover to a different position and wait a few years to get revenge?

kellaine

• King of D`Hara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:32 AM »
I think you should reconsider leaving - Is there any way you can politically turn away the attackers? or give up on D'Hara and recover to a different position and wait a few years to get revenge?

I may do so. I am not going to act rashly.  But I needed to vent my frustration.

With over half of D`Hara's forces with the pike family whom has gone inactive suddenly and without warning.  D`Hara is at the mercy of Rathgar forces. 

D`Hara I think will recover though it will take a long time.  With its three largest cities now in the hands of Rathgar.  It is a dead hulk. That will not produce even light infantry for over a month to 2 months.

I will give it a few more days to level out.  But the only way I see to survive is to join Rathgar. Heck everyone join rathgar.  then the war will be over.
Thatcher Family

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:45:42 AM »
It's not the donors that dominate, it is Rathgar. A combination of good start and highly active players has put them into a dominant position. For the moment, we will have Pax Rathgari. I had honestly hoped that the game would grow a bit faster, and with more players I would open more land and Rathgars dominance would drop because 200 regions of an 800 region map is not overwhelming anymore.

I really need help in spreading the word, marketing, advertisement, anything you can think of to gain us more players.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
I will not rage, But The reason I am leaving the game is simple.  Those that were able to contribute to the crowdfunding campaign and those aligned with them have an unfair advantage over the rest of us.  They got a 1-2 month head start in building and training troops.  There really is no competing with that.

The Game needs to be restarted with everyone starting as equals or at least an even playing ground.

I will check in every so often to see what is going on. It really is the best game I have ever played and I love it.  But to always be on the losing side becuase you did not have the funds to donate is more than a little frustrating.

While this might be true, it will be an ongoing problem. Whenever new land is opened up new realms will be in the building stage while existing realms aren't. We can't constantly reset to compensate for this.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

kellaine

• King of D`Hara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »

While this might be true, it will be an ongoing problem. Whenever new land is opened up new realms will be in the building stage while existing realms aren't. We can't constantly reset to compensate for this.

then maybe new realms should be under protection for a specified amount of time to allow them to compete.  Or at least give them the chance to do so.

over 20 of the settlements that D`Hara started with had 1-2 buildings only many had none... I had to build build them all from scratch... I think I did well considering.  In a short period of time I thought I had made D`Hara strong enough to at least put up a fight.... I was wrong.

And if you restart now. with the larger player base. you would have much different game.
Thatcher Family

Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:38:35 AM »
New realms aren't supposed to compete. They're meant to politically manoeuvre to survive - your problem was your guardian was impotent.

This isn't a game where everyone gets the same starting point, and anyone who joins later isn't bumped up to a level where they're equal to everyone else.

kellaine

• King of D`Hara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:52:05 AM »
New realms aren't supposed to compete. They're meant to politically manoeuvre to survive - your problem was your guardian was impotent.

This isn't a game where everyone gets the same starting point, and anyone who joins later isn't bumped up to a level where they're equal to everyone else.

don't understand who is my guardian and why was he impotent?

So what your saying is that those that started early will always be the rulers of the world. and that is what the game is supposed to be..  There are too few political tools to make surviving via politics viable.  Unless you want to have a realm that is subservient to other realms to survive. 

let me put it this way I am hyper active. online anywhere from 12 - 18 hours a day and the only game other than M&F that I now play is BM.  I do  not work, I play all day. (tom is more than welcome to verify my activity if he has the tools to do so) I am a disabled Vet so as sad as it sounds the games I play are my life so I take them seriously....

Well anyway, Even with my activity I could not compete with the early starters or those that they gave cities to (newer players playing with cities that were built for them is the same as playing against early starters).

Thatcher Family

Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »
No. I mean when you're small, you make friends so that you don't get big people going after you all the time because you're not an easy target. Then you use that time to get big. Then you're big.

You used Erstes Imperium to protect you when you grew D'Hara - the name and implied backing helped. If Erstes Imperium had been stronger (not so pathetic compared to Rathgar) then Rathgar wouldn't have been able to destroy D'Hara. In a month or two's time D'Hara would have been built up to the point where it needed less support.

Take your mind out of "game" and "fair" and look at it more like a (very rough) simulation.

If you're small you don't rely on a magical sphere of protection to save you. You join the United Nations. You make friends with China. Etc.

As a side note I'm extremely against activity being a deciding factor in success or failure in a game that works at this pace - starting up affects you once, not being able to log in constantly affects you forever. If the ability to log in constantly for 18 hours put you at a noticable advantage to people who didn't then that's far worse than a temporary start penalty.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »
There are too few political tools to make surviving via politics viable.

Head over to the Creating Might & Fealty section and open a thread to put forward concrete ideas for enhancing the political and diplomatic side of the game. I think Tom already said somewhere that he does intend the diplomacy to be more important than it is now.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:08 AM »
don't understand who is my guardian and why was he impotent?

So what your saying is that those that started early will always be the rulers of the world. and that is what the game is supposed to be..  There are too few political tools to make surviving via politics viable.  Unless you want to have a realm that is subservient to other realms to survive. 

let me put it this way I am hyper active. online anywhere from 12 - 18 hours a day and the only game other than M&F that I now play is BM.  I do  not work, I play all day. (tom is more than welcome to verify my activity if he has the tools to do so) I am a disabled Vet so as sad as it sounds the games I play are my life so I take them seriously....

Well anyway, Even with my activity I could not compete with the early starters or those that they gave cities to (newer players playing with cities that were built for them is the same as playing against early starters).

With the recent code fix to solider food consumption, the advantage of early realms is much reduced. No longer can we field massive armies, since they now need to be fed SOMEWHERE. Just like in BM new realms are fragile, they need either a large support base if they are moving into new territory, or they will be from secession of existing well developed land. D'Hara probably could have put up a decent showing against the Fading Isles from what I've seen, its not about being a starting realm, Rathgar is a juggernaut. It has the land, it has the active players and it has the military resources and the know how. Just as in BM we saw the age of one realm dominating a continent many times, for M&F Rathgar is the top dog.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
then maybe new realms should be under protection for a specified amount of time to allow them to compete.  Or at least give them the chance to do so.

This assumes the game is a building game, but it isn't. It's not a C4 game. It's no an RTS. It is not about building faster than your enemy.

Very likely, new regions when they open up will be colonized by existing realms, not be spawning grounds for new realms. New realms will primarily emerge from within existing realms, by declarations of independence, internal politics, fights over succession and the like. Pretty much like in the real world, you know?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
So what your saying is that those that started early will always be the rulers of the world. and that is what the game is supposed to be.

It is not about starting early. It doesn't give you any advantage that you could not lose. If you like Rathgar's towns, you can take them. If you take them, their advantage is now yours. It's not like in EVE Online, where you can literally NEVER catch up in XP to a player who started earlier. In M&F, everything you gain is temporary, so Rathgar's advantage is only theirs as long as they can hold it.

If you can't fight 'em, join 'em - create a character or two in Rathgar or send a loyal ally to do it. Try to rise through the ranks, get political power, and then create a split within the realm to weaken it. That's just one of a dozen ways to fight your enemy.

I do agree Rathgar is overwhelming. So maybe an all-realms alliance against them? I'm sure other realms look on in horror, fearing they are next. Make them your friends.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »
there are different levels of power in Rathgar i still think.

D'serrai clan for example, is very strong. They hold massive ammounts of land, lots of players, massive armies of heavy troops.
Ealdreds Reach, is pretty undeveloped.
I'm very small, only a few settlements.
Beals Song + Skloddings are probably comparable to D'hara when they stand alone.

Our recent war in the north, knocked out probably what, 800 troops? but the simple fact was the balance of power was fairly one sided, and the best we could acheive was a dissolution of the factions.
Most of the lands taken in the south would likely be handed back, i know i can't keep the two i have taken.

give it time, there are still splits in Rathgar.