Author Topic: Current Updates  (Read 999 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Current Updates
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
Just a short heads-up on what I am working on currently.

The current focus is on interface improvements to smooth out gameplay. For example, I have just sent the expanded scouting update to the live server, which should help a lot in getting orientation during war as to who the people nearby are, if they are friends or enemies and whether you are in trouble or not.

My second focus is on small, quickly coded changes that give more depth to gameplay. For example, the claims mechanic is simple to code, but has the potential of giving raise to conflict as well as helping you remember which targets you wanted to attack and take.

Finally, I am continuing work on the backend with more unit testing and bugfixes as well as some performance improvements which have already reduced the average resolution time for a turn from 20-30 minutes to about 15 minutes.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Current Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
Three updates went live just now that read so boring, but will improve the game quite a lot:
  • additional auto-balancing features added so settlements experiencing food shortages don't "crash", but catch themselves more often.
  • trades that fail due to resource shortages will now be reduced in volume instead of being cancelled if only parts of the required amount are missing.
  • food supply through camp follower is now active
The first should prevent not all, but most of the easily avoidable crashes. You will, however, find your construction projects with reduced workers automatically now if you run a food shortage. Some people might dislike this change because it takes some control away from them, but it is one of the few ways to prevent settlements from "crashing" due to small but constant food shortages.

The second change will make trade so much better. Many of you have already manually implemented something much like it, by splitting trades up and making, say, 4 trades of 50 instead of 1 trade of 200. From now on, you don't have to do that anymore, the new code will automatically reduce your trade, and by how much depends on how much shortage there is.
While some might complain that in some situations you might want to be trade all-or-nothing, this is definitely better than before and I can always add a toggle to trades later on if it is really wanted.

The third, finally, should prevent armies that prepared properly from starvation while marching through starving regions. It can also be used for a primitive form of siege warfare, however that would require quite a bit of preparation as soldiers in the field will starve faster than peasants in a settlement (because the game assumes they have storage and it takes several days of food shortage before they feel an effect).

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Current Updates
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »
After some recent balancing work, I am also at this time working on:

• Tower Communications - this is on the backburner while I try to figure out a few missing pieces, but it will come.
  • Artifacts - unique items that you can create, trade, plunder and so on. Think Excalibur.
  • New war system - declarations of war with stated purposes, this is a current thought, no code has been written so far.