Author Topic: Concept: Character Wealth  (Read 3029 times)

Tweeznax

• View Profile
Re: Concept: Character Wealth
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »
I think setting a fee for port use is a great idea. Fees for resupply might also be an option.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
The primary purposes of gold are mercenaries and quests, that is why that is being implemented first. Fees for different thing are interesting ideas as well. For later.

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 01:23:20 PM »
In line with various other discussions, I want to introduce the concept of personal wealth for characters.

Character wealth will always being at zero, so it doesn't matter how many characters you play or create.

You can gain wealth in three ways:
  • taxes from your estates - by diverting some wealth into your own pocket
  • looting enemy settlements - the same, but as a one-time effect
  • taking it from other characters - through deals or by force (from prisoners)
Wealth will be visible on your character, not as an exact sum, but as a rough estimate. We assume that wealthy characters wear more expensive clothes, jewellery, etc. so other characters can get a very rough estimate of their wealth, especially in comparison.

At start, wealth will be mostly for boasting, but I intend to add ways to spend your money. Here are some ideas that may or may not be added:
  • recruiting mercenaries - this simple option would make raider characters possible, who live off the land and afford troops through looting
  • bribery - temporarily acquire permissions. Nothing huge, I'm thinking about permissions like embarking at docks, for example.
  • personal equipment, unique items, etc. - various ideas are bouncing around the forum, and one of the problems is limiting their creation. Wealth could provide a limit.
I would welcome more ideas.

YES PLEASE! Its ideas and mechanics like these that are sucking my life and free time away with a massive smile on my face. This game, despite my years playing BM, has single-handedly ended 3 years of writer's block, convinced me to return to writing my Scifi novel, made me reconsider my decade-old ban on writing Fantasy. You rock, Tom! (Regarding the Fantasy thing... I vowed never to write so much as a Fantasy-themed poem or short story ever since I lost my nearly-publishable manuscript to a douchebag who thought there'd be something more valuable in the bookbag he stole than dirty gym clothes, my birth certificate & social security card, and nearly a dozen notebooks and pads brimming with many years of written plots, detailed character profiles, maps, unique cultures, religions, and a unique set of languages with a few thousand words and hundreds of awesome runes within. Motherf*cker!))
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »
Being an inspiration is maybe the highest praise one can hope for.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 05:16:00 AM »
You have most definitely inspired me. Thank you again.

Posting to remind myself to add some suggestions once I'm done replying to a billion messages. Also, THANK YOU for opening the northwest! I'm bringing 30-40 new players into the game as a response, and will be recruiting as many more as I can possibly find. :)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »
What also helps is pointing them to Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MightAndFealty - because once something reaches critical mass there, you can get some nice organic growth. But so far M&F is far from that point.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 04:19:18 AM »
Ill eventually get back on Facebook. Once I do, I'll reconnect with the over 1,000 players I had in my old forum-based RP website I used to run. :) I've got a good 5,000 RP'ers on one of my old emails, and have been desperately trying to get the damn password right. :| One day!

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »
Aye, a checkbox allowing others to embark from your port - for a fee! - is a great way to stimulate our future economy.

Gunther

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »
Well maybe welth can give the option of purchase a special unit of personal guard band with privileges?

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 06:28:04 PM »
Why not make wealth feed into the upkeep of more important soldiers? Like heavy cav needs more gold to maintain its equipment than say a cloth spearman.