Author Topic: Concept: Character Wealth  (Read 3206 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Concept: Character Wealth
« on: May 09, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
In line with various other discussions, I want to introduce the concept of personal wealth for characters.

Character wealth will always being at zero, so it doesn't matter how many characters you play or create.

You can gain wealth in three ways:
  • taxes from your estates - by diverting some wealth into your own pocket
  • looting enemy settlements - the same, but as a one-time effect
  • taking it from other characters - through deals or by force (from prisoners)
Wealth will be visible on your character, not as an exact sum, but as a rough estimate. We assume that wealthy characters wear more expensive clothes, jewellery, etc. so other characters can get a very rough estimate of their wealth, especially in comparison.

At start, wealth will be mostly for boasting, but I intend to add ways to spend your money. Here are some ideas that may or may not be added:
  • recruiting mercenaries - this simple option would make raider characters possible, who live off the land and afford troops through looting
  • bribery - temporarily acquire permissions. Nothing huge, I'm thinking about permissions like embarking at docks, for example.
  • personal equipment, unique items, etc. - various ideas are bouncing around the forum, and one of the problems is limiting their creation. Wealth could provide a limit.

I would welcome more ideas.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Concept: Character Wealth
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
In line with various other discussions, I want to introduce the concept of personal wealth for characters.

Character wealth will always being at zero, so it doesn't matter how many characters you play or create.

You can gain wealth in three ways:
  • taxes from your estates - by diverting some wealth into your own pocket
  • looting enemy settlements - the same, but as a one-time effect
  • taking it from other characters - through deals or by force (from prisoners)
Wealth will be visible on your character, not as an exact sum, but as a rough estimate. We assume that wealthy characters wear more expensive clothes, jewellery, etc. so other characters can get a very rough estimate of their wealth, especially in comparison.

At start, wealth will be mostly for boasting, but I intend to add ways to spend your money. Here are some ideas that may or may not be added:
  • recruiting mercenaries - this simple option would make raider characters possible, who live off the land and afford troops through looting
  • bribery - temporarily acquire permissions. Nothing huge, I'm thinking about permissions like embarking at docks, for example.
  • personal equipment, unique items, etc. - various ideas are bouncing around the forum, and one of the problems is limiting their creation. Wealth could provide a limit.
I would welcome more ideas.

Excellent, I was just thinking we needed some sort of accumulate-able resource in order to make mercenary realms work. People for some reason don't want to offer trade streams for temporary services, most disappointing.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Im so excited I have almost wet myself!   ;D

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Excellent direction, I will post a list of ideas sometime later. Lately the potential features are really coming together, if we can manage the implementation the game will be so much better for it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:21:15 PM by Mookzen »

Valast

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
Neat!

Will a characters wealth have an option to be put into a settlement if it is lacking?

Can we bribe watchtowers to look the other way?

How about using wealth to host events?  Weddings, contests, etc.  (perhaps even adding an option for guests who attend to rate the host good or bad... and have that displayed somewhere in the history?)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
Will a characters wealth have an option to be put into a settlement if it is lacking?

Almost certainly not.

The rest is still undetermined.

I also don't yet know how to handle wealth when a character dies. I will have to see what I do about that.

Valast

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
I also don't yet know how to handle wealth when a character dies. I will have to see what I do about that.

Ohh that is an interesting thought.  It would create a fun situation if the wealth remained at the settlements (or one chosen?) upon death...  Let the vassals know that the wealth is up for grabs if they can take and hold the settlement.  *shrug* just a thought.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »
Probably the wealth is inherited by their House/family/designated inheritor?

In any case, loking forwards to this!
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
Probably the wealth is inherited by their House/family/designated inheritor?

No. This is no abstract wealth. It is actually gold-in-your-pocket wealth.

My current implementation (why, yes, I've already added a bit of code) gives it to the killer, if you are killed in battle or as a prisoner. I am not yet sure how to handle it if you die in other ways.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
If the noble dies without there being a killer the wealth should probably go to either nobles who are close by or if there are no nobles around, especially family members and such, it could go to abstracted bandits and essentially disappear.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »

My current implementation (why, yes, I've already added a bit of code) gives it to the killer, if you are killed in battle or as a prisoner. I am not yet sure how to handle it if you die in other ways.

I can see some of it going to the killer, as your entourage probably has a nice amount of wealth to it if you yourself are wealthy, but all of it? That seems... a bit much.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »

Actually, what if you get killed in battle but your side wins the conflict anyways? Will your killer have the time to loot it at all? In any case this way we could totally have rogue First ones who woulc just rob people for a living.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:16:11 AM »
Fine armour and such would very likely be taken by the victor and either sold or kept as a trophy. It complicates things but I suggest that when this occurs the winner chooses to convert the spoils to their own wealth piles, or to keep it as a trophy of the victory visable for ever more on their character page. This could provide some of the things people wanted from unique items, if for example you could hunt down your relatives killer in order to reclaim the trophies.

I also imagine personal wealth will come into play with prisoners and ransoms.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
I should mention that gold plundered from dungeons also adds to your personal gold stat.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 02:44:30 AM »
We can hire mercenaries.
Pay nobles for tasks.

What else can we do with gold?

I would like to see Banks showing the top wealthiest characters.  Or maybe Family wealth instead of by character, but I can not think of a clean way to find that number.  Adding all characters does not work because of multiple families/RP.  Adding all in a family tree does not work because of marriage?

Think of the Carnegie and Rockefeller rivalry.