Author Topic: The Kingdom of Ascalon  (Read 22758 times)

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
Re: The Kingdom of Ascalon
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Woah this is just surprising. Our scouts have already spotted 4 members of large realms inside House Mali. Clan Serrai, House Gorling, Westernesse and Lakehold (Serrai and Lakehold had troops, but the Lakehold one seemed not to be actively looking for them)

I'm just going to keep reporting here, so should this turn out to be yet another case of 'everyone stompts the target' realm, then at least we will know how that happens.

Regardless, I feel that if we would have a system of infamy and prestige, we could already seriously question the integrity and honour of House Gorling and Westernesse. Both are obviously seeking contact with the rebels, and are discovered in doing so.

EDIT: They just changed the name to the Noble House of Squillace, and mad him the leader. I don't know the situation behind this but I only know he brings a decent amount of soldiers with him. I don't understand why or anything, so I'll wait before having an opinion about it. I only remember that this House Squillace used to live under House Gorling, but that's almost an entire IC year ago, and I cant judge their ties now.

EDIT 2: Yes, House Squillace is still related to House Gorling. I wish I could make this public IG to shame them as mentioned before, and discourage others from helping the rebels. Yes, you read that right? I'm subjective as fuck ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:30:05 PM by Roran Hawkins »
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Roran Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 03:21:25 AM »
Double post  :o

The plot thickens! I now start to see how every realm curbstomp ended up being that way, because both sides didn't know exactly what they were up against. Once again this post is filled with IC sensible information, and abusing it will lead to me haunting you when you go to sleep.

We have now confirmed that House Gorling is supporting the rebels and has sent troop leaders South. This means that they have engaged in "open war" with Ascalon, allying themselves with "mere rebels". They have assumed command over the rebelling Duchy by placing one of their vassals' family members at the head of it, and thus have been confirmed of doubling the amount of soldiers House Mali had at their disposal.

We're still talking about relatively moderate numbers of troops, but despite its size Ascalon hasn't had too much time to produce large armies yet, so I have no idea howmany troops we have at all. I can in any case state here that I personally have about half of the troops the rebels now have, mine being perhaps of a tad better quality. It seems the rebels also live in another timezone than me, and the only reason I just didn't run into an ambush of the House Gorling armies and theirs is because I am awake now, at 3:16AM.

Let me, totally subjectively ofcourse, add that I am not pleased with how things are developping. I would have expected House Gorling to back them, even sending troops there, but they didn't only plainly send troop leaders here, they also 'annexed' the entire Duchy by placing a family member of a vassal on the throne there. I mean, where's the punishment for that? Noone bats an eye when a realm walks into another without saying a word, aiding the local rebels without batting an eye, and then take indirect control of the rebel faction without anyone giving a fuck? (This is where I desperately want that this thing was already implemented.) Rathgar was supposed to hardly care for anything outside Rathgar (yes, I used the Rathgar word, because this is the culture you intended to define) and now I am finding a Rathgar clan marching their armies into my lands, placing their men on the throne of the freshly rebelling rebels.

PanH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 03:52:30 AM »
Let me, totally subjectively ofcourse, add that I am not pleased with how things are developping. I would have expected House Gorling to back them, even sending troops there, but they didn't only plainly send troop leaders here, they also 'annexed' the entire Duchy by placing a family member of a vassal on the throne there. I mean, where's the punishment for that? Noone bats an eye when a realm walks into another without saying a word, aiding the local rebels without batting an eye, and then take indirect control of the rebel faction without anyone giving a fuck? (This is where I desperately want that this thing was already implemented.) Rathgar was supposed to hardly care for anything outside Rathgar (yes, I used the Rathgar word, because this is the culture you intended to define) and now I am finding a Rathgar clan marching their armies into my lands, placing their men on the throne of the freshly rebelling rebels.
The issue with that sort of judgement is that it's totally subjective. The side of the story I've heard is totally different, with a different 'justification' (or cause, or whatever).

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »
It does seem odd for the rebel Duke to just hand over his position. Would love to hear the reason.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Roran Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:02 AM »
The issue with that sort of judgement is that it's totally subjective. The side of the story I've heard is totally different, with a different 'justification' (or cause, or whatever).
Hence I added that I was being subjective there. In fact, I cannot be objective about this since I'm way too involved, and most of my characters are indeed in that realm. I'm trying to give open feedback on how I'm experiencing this to see if we can find a problem in the situation that causes players to ragequit. I personally won't do that, but dependant on how the circumstances could develop, I might understand why people'd do that.

Calpurnius

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 04:27:52 AM »
This one sided story is most unusual.  The rebel just hands over control to someone half a world away.  Why did they rebel ?  Were you at war with Gorling ?

How many regions have they taken from you ? Have you attempted to find out what House Gorling wants ?  What are you doing to try and end the war ?
So many unanswered questions

I'm with clan d'Serrai, and have not heard one word spoken about Ascalon.  I do have a Knight in area, sent him down there in case we were going to help D'Hara. That ended before he arrived.  After reading your posts, I've had him moving about trying to gather information.  Guess he is there because of your comments here in forum.   

Roran Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 04:38:44 AM »
House Gorling once gave us a few isolated regions they held in Ascalon when we were just starting, in exchange for accepting a few of their vassals they didn't want anymore in our realm along with them. Now thta one of those vassals became Duke and caused several diplomatic incidents, and showed to be IC moonsick, we wished to remove her from her position. Once we said this she rebelled. Now it seems she has handed over all control over the Duchy she attained and is swearing vassalsage to House Gorling who wish to annex the entire Duchy into their own realm, suddenly wanting their vassal back now they took a sizeable amount of land.

They have taken no regions from us yet, since they have been on the defensive untill House Gorling would arrive with reinforcements that are streaming in now. I haven't spoken with House Gorling directly, but the above I could find out from what Lady Erin said IC. I have tried to send a demand of surrender, since a person does not negotiate with rebels IC (with reasonable, if somewhat ambitious demands, but certainly reasonable), and am currently fighting them.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54:31 AM »
House Gorling once gave us a few isolated regions they held in Ascalon when we were just starting, in exchange for accepting a few of their vassals they didn't want anymore in our realm along with them. Now thta one of those vassals became Duke and caused several diplomatic incidents, and showed to be IC moonsick, we wished to remove her from her position. Once we said this she rebelled. Now it seems she has handed over all control over the Duchy she attained and is swearing vassalsage to House Gorling who wish to annex the entire Duchy into their own realm, suddenly wanting their vassal back now they took a sizeable amount of land.

They have taken no regions from us yet, since they have been on the defensive untill House Gorling would arrive with reinforcements that are streaming in now. I haven't spoken with House Gorling directly, but the above I could find out from what Lady Erin said IC. I have tried to send a demand of surrender, since a person does not negotiate with rebels IC (with reasonable, if somewhat ambitious demands, but certainly reasonable), and am currently fighting them.

Given this info, I can understand House Gorling involvement, though I still don't understand just handing over the Duchy.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
You have kinda created this situation yourself Roran, I tried to council against your harsh stance against Mali but you didn't listen, just got on your "i'm the king I command X Y Z" role play as usual haha :)

I think it's completely understandable that Mali goes back to Gorling after the treatment/judgement from Ascalon, which IC I thought was wrong.
I think it's completely understandable that Gorling comes to support their former vassal.
My gut feeling though is that Gorling wont be "aggressive" just seek to maintain the territorial integrity of their Friend. Not openly war on Ascalon.

but I could be wrong, who knows.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
You have kinda created this situation yourself Roran, I tried to council against your harsh stance against Mali but you didn't listen, just got on your "i'm the king I command X Y Z" role play as usual haha :)

I think it's completely understandable that Mali goes back to Gorling after the treatment/judgement from Ascalon, which IC I thought was wrong.
I think it's completely understandable that Gorling comes to support their former vassal.
My gut feeling though is that Gorling wont be "aggressive" just seek to maintain the territorial integrity of their Friend. Not openly war on Ascalon.

but I could be wrong, who knows.

There is a difference between looking for support from old "friends" and handing over all authority and power to those friends. That is the part of this story I want to hear about.

Roran Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
Let me state that I'm not surprised House Gorling would help, but I didn't expect them to just replace Lady Erin with their own vassals. Perhaps they intend to keep this Squillace person in there, or perhaps they wish to just annex it. Regardless, they already 'annexed' the entirey Duchy indirectly, and that's something we won't stand for. I don't see how they can keep protecting such claims against us if their corelands are up North. The only reason that they might win this war now is because they have had all the time to create buttloads of troops and seem to have been fueling House Mali with men so far.

Ofcourse I created this situation myself. That's the entire point of my actions right? The treatment may have been harsh, but considering the circumstances my final judgement was pretty okay. The player just misunderstood my message, and we eventually found out that we were actually trying to get the same done, but it was too late to turn back. Read; I'm not complaining about that. I'm just concerned that House Gorling has no idea how strong/weak we are.

In any case, the goal of my character was never to harm the territorial integrity of House Mali, but instead to remove Duchess Erin from her position, who seemed to be lunatic by the way she wrote her messages. Regardless, my character cannot accept this House Squillace being made leader here, which is an indirect annexation of Ascalonian territory into House Gorling. My character would probably strive to get Lady Erin banished from the realm without touching her house's territory much, if at all, and to get this House Squillace out of the realm.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
I haven't checked things out in game. But Ascalon stated their grudge was with Erin Mali.
Perhaps that group hoped to lessen the assault on the Mali Family by simply replacing Erin as "leader". Am not sure tbh though. Still, adds a little fun to the game :)

Roran Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
Well replacing Erin with one of their puppets sure won't do much good in the eyes of my character.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 01:00:34 AM »
I haven't checked things out in game. But Ascalon stated their grudge was with Erin Mali.
Perhaps that group hoped to lessen the assault on the Mali Family by simply replacing Erin as "leader". Am not sure tbh though. Still, adds a little fun to the game :)

Replace her with a foreign noble under a foreign power? Of that was the aim the most logical course would have been to replace her with someone from within the Duchy

Roran Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 03:28:08 AM »
I'm just going to throw this out here, but I personally (since I don't know exact numbers from my vassals) have about 1/3rd of the soldiers they have fielded in the North of Ascalon, and that's assuming I spotted every enemy troop leader. I'll add that I have currently raised every soldier I can.

Since I'm still expecting more enemies to come from the North I guess that unless I can convince allies to join me or unless I severely underestimated the numbers my vassals have raised I can already start waving around a white flag. I'm pretty pessimistic about this, yeah. I probably am going to have to fight one large slaughter before being forced into peace negotiations with 'mere rebels'.

@De-Legro: That was my original intention and the reason she rebelled, along with misunderstanding my words. I don't see how House Gorling intends to place a puppet here and have that be accepted by other realms who actually had the time to create more troops, but only the future can tell that. I am curious what they wish to achieve in this 'intervention war' as you could call it, should you see the rebels as a legitimate realm which my character obviously doesn't.

EDIT: Once again, please don't use this for unfair IG advantages, if that's still even possible. I really hope that this transparancy won't get me screwed over even harder.

EDIT 2: Just my personal opinion, but spawning characters inside settlements and being granted the entire militia is a bit of a poor way of fighting an open war with us. At least march your lords towards me. Maybe this is irrelevant bitching because you have three times the soldiers I have at the moment and growing, but you could at least give me the time to defend myself by marching here instead of teleporting. Or even more fun, teleporting here and marching at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:05:00 AM by Roran Hawkins »