Author Topic: Cal's rage  (Read 2434 times)

Calpurnius

Cal's rage
« on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
I am upset that only two people actually read and understood my complaint.

I received a lot of negative comment, based on things I was not actually saying, or having my response taken out of context.

I have no problem with how the game is designed, what it's intentions are, what I have, how I started out, what other players have, how big my army is, how many settlements I have, or how many settlements someone else has.
I am happy and content with my position in the game.

I went thought my post and found seven time where  I asked , "founders" who have an opinion on what is best for game, please post in forum, please do not tell my character what he should do, to improve game.

I did add some other OOC comments I witness, only to emphasize that "founders" opinions should be public when deciding what is best.

I had no idea how much negative feedback I would receive.

Yet, with all those posts, I only found two that supported my plea.   Do not recall any post defending it as being good.
 Unless  .. a good defense is a good offense

Cynic

• View Profile
Re: Cal's rage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
All I can say is look past it - I'm afraid you've joined a debate in progress and people have already formed up in their respective lines - by mentioning land you triggered the standard response from both sides. It's fairly standard in casual amateur-type debates, such as on the interwebs, to question motivations and throw out straw men and soundbites (go on the offensive) rather than logically addressing points (and yes, I'm including myself in that).

I think it's safe to say you're not going to convince the people that have made up their minds, just worth hoping that some that haven't made up their minds read it and maybe something sticks.

PanH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
I'm not sure what you are saying exactly, then. I am Ed from your example (as you must know it) though I see this event differently. As I see it (and through the 2, now 3 ooc thread I have access), founders aren't dictating the flow of the game (except the invasion of EI by Rathgar), but they are simply playing it, and they are also trying to help new players.

I went thought my post and found seven time where  I asked , "founders" who have an opinion on what is best for game, please post in forum, please do not tell my character what he should do, to improve game.

I did add some other OOC comments I witness, only to emphasize that "founders" opinions should be public when deciding what is best.
There is a difference between this, and simply planning what you are going to do with other people in your realms.

Calpurnius

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »
That part of discussion, of who was who, and what they should get, was an example as to who you are in forum has an in game affect.

My point is someone with "status" of founder, has an opinion of "what is best for game".
 I am simply asking them to share it with everyone, and not make it part of what " my character" should do.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:31:24 PM by Calpurnius »

PanH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
That part of discussion, of who was who, and what they should get, was an example as to who you are in forum has an in game affect.
I don't see how referring to me by my OOC name or by character name made a difference. Someone was talking about me with my forum name. Someone else didn't knew it, and that's pretty much all. The rest was up to what player I was in game.
And even then, someone should be free to help an OOG friend if they want to, but again it's not like 'founders' power' was used.

Even then, it has nothing to do with founders, nor with their opinion of "what is best for the game". All of what I've seen in in-game OOC threads is talking not about the game, but what as people in the realm should do.

My point is someone with "status" of founder, has an opinion of "what is best for game".
 I am simply asking them to share it with everyone, and not make it part of what " my character" should do.
And I have no idea what you mean by that. Suggestions about the game ? Or should the actions that the 'founders' take be decided collectively on the forum ? Things like the Rathgar - EI war ?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:12:50 PM by PanH »

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
I admit that I too do not fully understand what it is you _want_ to see ingame as oposed to what you do _not_ want to see ingame....

Should a founder if he asks something from your character ingame make that request public? Or should a founder state his 'ideas for the game' openly ingame in a realm channel? Or should a founder state his ideas (that he tells your character) here on the forum?

Please clarify - thanks!

Calpurnius

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »
first off, I'm not really in a rage. I actually had to laugh at last two post.

Since I am unable to articulate clearly what I am trying to say. I will be deleting my forum account, because I have no self control and feel a need to reply to all the irrelevant comments.

I will tell a purely fictional chain of events to illustrate my comments.

One of my current neighbors says to me ...  You are not doing very well Albert, you only have 6 regions and 4 characters.   You should give those regions to my friend from battle master, he will create 25 characters.  You can go start with the new players and wait for new lands to open up.  Because "this is good for the game"

Are these the type of comments that everyone finds acceptable to be made in game between just two or three people.
Does anyone feel that  " if " it is good for the game, that they should be shared in the forum ?

I have absolutely no way of knowning how many comments like that are out there, who are they telling them to, who else decided this.
I brought it to the attention in the forum in case there are others telling new players "what is good for the game".

If this is not how you do things, then ignore my posts. If you are using your influence to better things for your out of game friends, because it is good for the game, make it public so everyone can decide what their friends get.

Calpurnius

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »
I admit that I too do not fully understand what it is you _want_ to see ingame as oposed to what you do _not_ want to see ingame....

Should a founder if he asks something from your character ingame make that request public? Or should a founder state his 'ideas for the game' openly ingame in a realm channel? Or should a founder state his ideas (that he tells your character) here on the forum?

Please clarify - thanks!

They are not sharing their ideas with me, they are telling my character to act upon their ideas. Because they think it is good for the game.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »
Entertaining stuff this.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »
One of my current neighbors says to me ...  You are not doing very well Albert, you only have 6 regions and 4 characters.   You should give those regions to my friend from battle master, he will create 25 characters.  You can go start with the new players and wait for new lands to open up.  Because "this is good for the game"

That guy's an idiot who doesn't understand the game, and after playing BM that surprises me. As if "doing well" matters. This isn't StarCraft where you'll get zerg-rushed if you can't build up fast enough. The build-up is limited, and while we're still in the build-up, once you hit the limit, it doesn't matter anymore. It's like playing level 80 in your favorite MMORPG - it doesn't matter if it took you 8 days or 8 months.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 01:47:30 AM »
That guy's an idiot who doesn't understand the game, and after playing BM that surprises me. As if "doing well" matters. This isn't StarCraft where you'll get zerg-rushed if you can't build up fast enough. The build-up is limited, and while we're still in the build-up, once you hit the limit, it doesn't matter anymore. It's like playing level 80 in your favorite MMORPG - it doesn't matter if it took you 8 days or 8 months.

Unfortunately this mentality is all to common. I wouldn't say it is the dominant mindset, but it is common enough that I've encountered it in several different places around the game world.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Zakath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:37 AM »
I haven't encountered that mindset myself, perhaps being a mostly ceremonial ruler shields me somewhat, but I have exactly 4 estates and 4 characters and have received no comments even resembling that. Besides, I don't want any more land nor do I care to min-max my estates to death.

Still, deleting your forum account to make a point is...sub optimal. It's sorta like burning your book because someone didn't like it.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »

Well, I agree that that neighbour needs to be reigned in. One, the ooc remark may be freely ignored...as handing settlements over is not 'good for the game' but only 'good for him'.

Two, if someone tells your char 'give me your estate'...go to your liege. (I just recently realized that I am your liege - did not connect your forum name to your ingame name). I know that Tan would eagerly jump on the chance to aid his vassal, he takes that 'protection offered to vassals' pretty seriously.

And no need to delete your forum account.