Author Topic: Raiding for captive lords  (Read 2303 times)

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
Raiding for captive lords
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »
 Note: This is a copy of an IC message to Rathgar. This post is intended as information for other realms. So any players of Rathgar please discuss this in the M&F message system. Comments of non-Rathgar players are welcome though.

-------------------

Greetings, warriors of Rathgar!
I would ask if Rathgar would accept a custom that has a strong tradition with my folk - and I imagine with other clans as well:
In the old lands a First One did gain prestige by capturing an enemy First One, leading him back to his homestead there to force him to carve his rune into the hearthstone and add a drop of blood as token of submission. Then the captured noble was feasted for two weeks and released. (ooc: such a rune could be made ingame by constructing a singpost near a homestead, declaring that 'Noble X was forced into submission on 5-15-4'..or likewise)
Naturally, a clanleader commanding 800 spears would not boast about capturing a minor lord of a nameless settlement in the wilds....but for an unblooded First One, capturing an enemy lord might mean a way to gain his first settlement to govern.
I would ask if Rathgar would accept this custom here in these lands as well - it would give our young ones - and recently accepted vassals - a goal...and would go a long way to prove the battle might of warleaders or clans. Imagine visiting a clanholding boasting a score of these signs of submission....imagine taking revenge for being captured and wiping the stain by taking your former captor in chains to your holding!
Thus - your thoughts, warriors!

Mookzen

• View Profile
Re: Raiding for captive lords
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:35:54 PM »
It should be noted that this does not invite people to spam the map with signposts, if understood, this means the one signpost with an altered nametag.

LGMAlpha

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:49:32 AM »
For the record, I really like this idea.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:54:20 AM »
we could even do the following: if someone captures a noble and brings him to his settlement, it is customary to create a permanent trade of food of some low number before being set free, like 2,3 or 5 as a sort of special tribute for sparing him and general noble courtesy. Now the point is that you will be motivated to get a noble yourself and cancel that trade without disrespect so it cancels out or just raid for nobles to rank up the 'tribute', we can name the trade deal too. You can still do the signpost thing, but it would be much better if Tom added a 'rumors' field in character sheets then we could write all sorts of fun stuff, including this, in there. In any case, this way the whole noble capture incentive thing ties into the actual gameplay, your settlement grows slightly bigger, that could even be explained as a result of the added respect gained by actions of capture.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »
The idea is nice, though I would consider bringing them back to your war camp, not your home settlement. That last one would be a two-week realtime turnaround. Keep in mind that many players are on their free trial period. If you take them out for the entirety of that, you won't have people to play with in a month.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
Time staying captured:
Good point. I'll check - so far I have only captured longterm players.

Valast

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
The idea is nice, though I would consider bringing them back to your war camp, not your home settlement.

Can trade/tribute be done away from settlements?  I had tried this with my own characters to save travel time and it did not work.  That was back during the guided start.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
A char can always send tribute from his estates TO the settlement he is in.

A estateholder can send tribute to a foreign estate IF there is already tribute flowing from there to his settlement AND he is in the settlement.

So to establish two way tribute only one estateholder needs to make the trip to the other.

Valast

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:09:13 PM »
So basically I have to take them to one of my settlements or him to one of his and offer 1 food in trade, then he can create one back?

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »
So basically I have to take them to one of my settlements or him to one of his and offer 1 food in trade, then he can create one back?

If you're going with my suggestion then you take him to any of your settlements and he knows to set up a small trade of food like 1-5 and you let him go with his humiliation, this trade he is honorbound to keep running until he can get one of your nobles, not because he is allowed to cancel it, but because he gets the 1-5 food from you in the same way and it cancels out, I suppose he could keep the +1-5 and the -1-5 running at the same but it would be pointless. The main idea behind the microtrades is to tie in the noble capture mechanic with a tangible ingame benefit, in this case the added food.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:22:41 PM by Mookzen »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
Yes, my apologies for the ability to trade with people you meet not being coded, yet.

Valast

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Yes, my apologies for the ability to trade with people you meet not being coded, yet.
I could not code my way out of a wet paper bag.  I speak more Spanish than I do any code... and in Spanish I can only order eggs with cheese.

I think we can work around any lack of code in the short term.  We have done well with small things so far.

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
I think the idea of titles would be more appropriate as I presented in the OOC. They could then be taken away if for example your character was captured. You could even have tiered titles for multiple captures. Of course these would have to be set up by the ruler.
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
The nice thing is that everyone can set it up as he wants.

'Submission trades'? Arrange it with your captives.
'Signposts'? Construct them as you see fit
'Titles'...these need to be (more or less) agreed upon realmwide. Its also the idea I like best so far. I'll suggest something laterone.