Author Topic: Foiling the 'lets-all-get-along' brigade  (Read 6299 times)

Velrun

• View Profile
Re: Foiling the 'lets-all-get-along' brigade
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »
Megalomaniacs have to work in teams - you can't do much on your own. They are just always looking out for a chance to change the teams around to increase their power.

And if that is the view of every character, just how effective will the teams be? You will spend just as much time plotting to get your team together as actually getting the team to do anything, all while trying to ensure that if the team is successful, the success is largely to your benefit. A few characters like that adds interest, an entire realm of it is like a bad parody.

There are many character personalities that can play a part in a realm full on internal conflict. Even with just a few characters leading the way, a realm of mostly team players will result in conflict, so long as there are characters with enough charisma to lead conflicting teams.

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
Well im mixing it up whenever I can and I am happy to be ganged up on.  I get as much enjoyment out of playing the bad guy as the good guy and whats the point in building something if you can't knock it down?  I take my kids to the beach and we build sand castles, we admire them and then we take stones and catapult the shit out of them!  Thats my playing style and I hope that it brings fun to people but at the same time I genuinely hope it upsets a few people also.  That way, you get HUGE satisfaction from kicking my ass when its required  ;D

pcw27

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 06:48:09 PM »
Megalomaniacs have to work in teams - you can't do much on your own. They are just always looking out for a chance to change the teams around to increase their power.

You don't have to be meglomaniacs for there to be infighting. Feudal wars can start for many reasons besides simple lust for power. Different houses can become bitter enemies for a variety of reasons and land conflicts can be based on more then just valuable resources.

Lets say for example that I have a character who's father died in battle while helping to take over a region. Had he lived would have gained control of that region. Instead the region goes to another lord who was also in the battle and supporting the takeover but had significantly fewer troops. By all counts it's obvious my character's father is the reason they won the battle and took the region. My character would want that land not because he's a power hungry sociopath but because it has special meaning to his family and he feels it should be theirs by right