Author Topic: Maps and Visualization  (Read 795 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Maps and Visualization
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
Heatmaps

or: Playing around with QGIS

The first image shows a heatmap of battles (irrespective of size). Right now, of course, the battles are simply side-effects of people taking over independent settlements. Mostly this is me playing around with QGIS to find more and interesting map data that can be extracted from the database.

Since I have timing data for the battles, things like animations over time to see wars flow are entirely possible for the future.

But I can also visualize other data. The 2nd image, for example, shows where player characters are located, so the bright white spots are where lots of nobles gather while the darker red spots have fewer nobles in the area.

With some more experimentation, I believe I can use this technique to visualize trade activity, population density and a hundred other things.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Maps and Visualization
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
Visualising trade - this is the current trade network of Rathgar. Colour and thickness indicates trade quantity, arrows show the direction. This particular graph doesn't differentiate by resource traded, but I can do that as well.