Author Topic: "Gift" Heraldry  (Read 1526 times)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
"Gift" Heraldry
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »
Currently I have made a heraldry that I wish for all direct vassals to use. This is easy while such vassals are my own characters, but as other players join I thought it would be nice to have a way for them to make use of the heraldry without them having to go and replicate the design.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Gift" Heraldry
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »
Have direct vassals marry into your family and then allow any children to be born from the unions to use your family's heraldry.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:14 AM »
Have direct vassals marry into your family and then allow any children to be born from the unions to use your family's heraldry.

Still doesn't allow the direct vassal to use the heraldry though,  assumes that I have characters available for marriage and kind of interrupts RP if I'm marrying direct vassals just for this reason.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »
The heraldic crests are more to uniquely identify a particular family line than as a broad sigil for an entire group of vassals, which is why I suggested the marriage option. There's also the difficulty that your vassals might like to have their own unique crests, rather than reproducing the one that you'd like them to use. I'm not clear if you'd want to just be able to gift other players your design rather than having them use credits to create a crest, but that would obviously have financial implications for the game. Whether that matters depends on Tom's views

Some of us have suggested in the past that it would be good if we had a tool like a flag generator, similar to the heraldry generator, to create sigils/crests to identify a particular realm or subrealm. Introducing something like that would probably facilitate what you want to do if you structured your vassals into a small subrealm. The current heraldry generator could likely even pull double duty as such a tool.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:16:58 AM »
The heraldic crests are more to uniquely identify a particular family line than as a broad sigil for an entire group of vassals, which is why I suggested the marriage option. There's also the difficulty that your vassals might like to have their own unique crests, rather than reproducing the one that you'd like them to use. I'm not clear if you'd want to just be able to gift other players your design rather than having them use credits to create a crest, but that would obviously have financial implications for the game. Whether that matters depends on Tom's views

Some of us have suggested in the past that it would be good if we had a tool like a flag generator, similar to the heraldry generator, to create sigils/crests to identify a particular realm or subrealm. Introducing something like that would probably facilitate what you want to do if you structured your vassals into a small subrealm. The current heraldry generator could likely even pull double duty as such a tool.

Basically you are right. If the players have to create the crest themselves it creates another barrier to getting the realm at large to embrace the idea of a realm wide heraldry. The income part is the main hurdle I see, so my plan B is just to gift people the credits needed. I also thought that as the system develops, characters of particular merit may make small modifications to the main heraldry as they gain the right to greater individual recognition.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »
This is a misconception.

The heraldric crests are intended as personal heraldry. They are not intended as the MaF equivalent of realm flags. I will probably add a variation of the heraldry designer for realms later.