Author Topic: Ongoing Statistics  (Read 53127 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Ongoing Statistics
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:03 PM »
The most popular weapons in the game:

count |    name   
-------+------------
 44139 | halberd
 27570 | spear
 22976 | longbow
 12074 | axe
 10095 | broadsword
  9829 | crossbow
  9180 | sword
  2390 | shortbow
  2195 | mace

The most popular armors:

count |      name     
-------+----------------
 74434 | leather armour
 29882 | chainmail
 16984 | scale armour
 13116 | cloth armour
  3309 | plate armour

and the most popular items:

count |    name     
-------+-------------
 96695 | shield
 11769 | short sword
  9820 | horse
  5469 | javelin
   299 | war horse

out of a total of 146403 soldiers currently active in the game.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:40:09 PM by Tom »

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Remembering that pikes are halberds...

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
Remembering that pikes are halberds...

yeah, fixed that now. Internally they are still called pikes.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »
Tom, how many estates are there that players can use? I'm curious about average militia counts per estate.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
Looks like cavalry are the rare elite, with warhorses being almost nonexistent, comprising just 1/5th of 1% of the soldier population!

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »
Experience makes them retreat later.

I agree that there should be something like a strategic retreat. But to code that, I need an interactive element, because it should be a player decision if he wants to retreat when the going gets tough, or fight till the last man.

While I understand that thought... we do not get to force our armies to fight to the last man right now.  Once they break and run, they take losses and loose equipment while fleeing.  BUT if you have an experienced army they will know how to keep up with their equipment and how to hide and how to avoid pursuing enemy troops on their own based on experience.  That is an individual aspect of each soldier, not a tactic of the character.  It is just a thought on how to make experienced troops more important.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
The most popular weapons in the game:

Thank you for this.  It helps eliminate irrational fear about things (I hope).

A couple of surprises to me are the number of broadswords!  Having more of those than actual swords is interesting.

Another is that scale armor is only just above cloth.  I would have thought that by now leather would have reduced in number replaced by scale.  It makes me wonder how many people have inexperienced chain mail soldiers.

Javelin I would have thought to be just behind shields.  Although I have only just started training them again myself.

IMO everyone should be striving to replace leather militia with scale.

Mace/scale/javelin crossbow/scale/shield being two great militia soldiers.

Longbow/scale/shortsword Sword/scale/shield for infantry.

Then only putting heavy armor on or horses under the soldiers that achieve 'X' experience.

All in all I think our armies are very inexperienced and many people are still ignoring it.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »
Scale simply takes away from mail depots for heavy infantry in my opinion.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »
Scale simply takes away from mail depots for heavy infantry in my opinion.

Depends on how you feel about it. A few scale armored rather than one chainmail isn't bad when you have scale infantry in numbers. But putting anything above leather on archers is a waste of resources in my opinion.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
Depends on how you feel about it. A few scale armored rather than one chainmail isn't bad when you have scale infantry in numbers. But putting anything above leather on archers is a waste of resources in my opinion.

In my opinion the difference lies in the fact that while 100% scale would be rather interesting, having the option to use 66% leather and 33% mail is equally decent, especially since your veteran troops would be better protected and so fresh recruits can soak up casualties your heavies would otherwise endure.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »

Ahhhh that is assuming you will leave them as archers forever.

Abundance dictates what armor level you start with.  That is why leather has so many in the game.  Then you get to a choice of chain OR scale.  If you choose chain, you have inexperienced heavy infantry, if you choose scale you have better armored medium infantry.

So if you get to that choice, you can reduce leather training and move it to scale.  That means you have more troops survive battles and those troops gain more experience.  Then you can retrain those into a heavy armor and or horse.

You have reduced training time for that soldier because of their experience and the soldier will have an advantage over a 0 experience heavy warrior.

Take that a step farther and retrain some VERY experienced chain soldiers into plate and if you are lucky, warhorses.

Richard Van Valen has a personal guard of 50 Plate/Warhorse warriors (with varying weapons) each with experience ranging between 50 and 150.  He has a smaller force of plate/short swords with 40-70 experience.  He trains leather into scale at exp 25 or higher, scale into chain/plate (depending on how much is available) at 40+ and puts anyone above 30 exp on a horse if he has them.

Putting scale on archers helps them to gain experience.  Then because they try to stay out of harms way, you end up with MORE experienced warriors.  Heh now take those archers and put them on a horse!

I started doing it this way because of role play.  How could a mighty leader of spears in the North say he wants his nobles to crave battle and honor the strong...then not do the same thing with his own army.  So a few 0 exp heavy make it through if that needs to be done to fill up the training que but the ones with EXP get first crack at the heavy armor or horses.

Of course I have not yet tested that army in battle.  So it could be garbage and I could be venting in a few weeks about how experience on soldiers is worthless.  But that will just show how attached I have become to MY army.  An army that I have put effort into rather than just training a bunch of fodder.

Another silly thing I have done is to give warriors with names that start with V preference.  *shrug* call it vanity or culture or what ever you like.  Just something fun to do to make a connection.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2015, 09:16:01 PM »
The chain/scale and broadsword/sword also surprised me, but I think a lot of people don't see the resupply aspect and think that if you have it, let's take the best.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
The chain/scale and broadsword/sword also surprised me, but I think a lot of people don't see the resupply aspect and think that if you have it, let's take the best.

That is actually part of my reason for not using much scale. In an army that has experience chainmail troops, scale troops just eat up the limited resupply, so you end up with medium infantry with no armour. Leather is abundant making it far easier to resupply large forces of medium infantry.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tweeznax

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2015, 10:50:29 PM »
The broadsword is only marginally more expensive in term of work-hours, last I checked. I always skip sword for that reason.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2015, 01:37:59 AM »
The broadsword is only marginally more expensive in term of work-hours, last I checked. I always skip sword for that reason.

But have you tried to resupply them?  Yikes!  Takes for ever