Author Topic: The Paths of Prey -- Map Alternative  (Read 17533 times)

Zakath

• View Profile
Re: The Paths of Prey -- Map Alternative
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Back to the drawingboard again :P

Any thoughts where we ought to pick our land? Personally I'd say between lake 1 in the East, the river Thyaton in the West, the coast up North and down to the river Noraillon in the South. Some extension outside that area would be fair enough, but gives us some natural borders for starters.

Given my pick I'd like the Southern bit of the river Thyhaton. A mountain, a forest and 3 grasslands. I can mark it on a map if we go for that area, but let's consider that general area before I start to mark maps :)

Bubba

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »
Oh, well, interesting new map. Almost every region is under 1000 population. All our familiar assumptions when picking good regions are now turned on their ear. I'm curious to see how that works out. As the old saying goes, less is more. Right?

The aesthetics of the map, from my point of view, are now quite nice. In the previous map, there were rivers running through thin scrublands in the north, and you could tell that a serious calculation error had distorted that map. Now rivers are once again a sign of fertility--as early human history shows that they should be! Sure, I could persist in saying that the original map had a certain sine qua non that continues to be absent... but i am testing everyone's patience enough already as it is.

While Mookzen has been dispossessed of his 2000+ monstrosity, I think he will like the forest near the river mouth, larger than most grasslands at 800 population, and there's a stunning 1000+ grassland just south of it. That's the brand new standard for "awesome" on this new map. If you have a plot that breaks 1000 population, that's a good catch.

At the source of the Noraillar River, there's a group of two unusually robust mountain regions of 500 population near a 900+ grassland which will set someone up nicely as a promising future smith.

As for myself, I'm thinking of settling the southern shore of the lake, on the Noraillar river, which is fittingly named the Northern Depression. Considering how depressing I am, that area of the map seems custom-made for me.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 05:13:53 PM »
As for myself, I'm thinking of settling the southern shore of the lake, on the Noraillar river, which is fittingly named the Northern Depression. Considering how depressing I am, that area of the map seems custom-made for me.

:-)

The name is actually due to elevation, just like The Pit further south-west.

I'm still thinking about how to add some elevation hints to the map. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

Valast

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Have we settled on a geographical location then?  I have refrained from looking too close until that is settled.

Briefly looking, I like the headwaters of the Thyhaton.  Seems balanced.  But I am still waiting for someone to make a beautiful map with wonderful colored lines to brighten my day with rainbows of humanity.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »
Here would be a suggestion...should roughly fit both ideas of 'mountain folk settling along the river towards the sea' and 'first ones having arrived near the mouth of the river and settling towards the mountains'. Should allow all clans to expand and I tried to balance the bigger grasslands (along the river) with lack of wood to encourage trading right from the start.

Note that at first glance all types of land benefit considerably from being next to a river, gaining an additional 50-80% population.

I'd be interested in cyan or red though that is not fixed in stone.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
I'm going with Bubba's idea of settling the river-mouth. Also, turns out that region borders have no respect for the river, they go right across and make it really awkward, so I've taken some liberties, actually the one splinter settlement across the river with some land claimed on the other side, in addition to fixing all the cross-river border stuff, fits in with the RP of my characters.

By the way I think we should do the thing proposed before, pass the map along and everyone colors in the region he proposes to claim (just be sure to refresh the thread before posting to see if someone else has) and we have a chance to discuss it every step of the way (suggestions and/or complaints). Furthermore, as mentioned, its probably for the best to try and not lock people in too much, a free region here and there between the 5 'forbidden' ones (laws and all) will do the realm good.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:18:20 PM by Mookzen »

Bubba

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
With the new realities, people will want homelands on rivers and coasts. I recommend these.

• Dark Red goes to Mookzen, as claimed.
  • Black goes to Bubba, as claimed.
  • Red goes to Tan dSerrai, as claimed.
  • Yellow and Orange might be Zakath and Valast, pending discussion.
  • Purple is a recommended claim. I'd recommend the woodlands on the west shore of the lake. They're larger than woodlands ought to be, and will meet your building needs with excess to trade. The five areas circled in purple are the most powerful combination.
  • Blue is a recommended claim. The northeast outlined in blue is tucked away in the corner, and has very good population. Easy expansion.
  • Green is a recommended claim. The northwest is less fortunate to have forests, but still benefits similarly from being tucked away and expansion opportunities.
  • Cyan is all about the expansion.
If you have your own preference, another version has the current claims on an otherwise blank map with region borders delineated.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:52:08 PM by Bubba »

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 07:46:11 PM »
I claim the lands between red and black along the river.

Fabasho, Unasalida, Baruston, Vaiplumen, Risavis.

Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

Valast

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:00 AM »
Personally I like the

Daithorick (Mountains at the headwaters of Thyhaton), Vacolos, Safagen, Goechretho, Chepelban...  That would be my first choice. 

No map from me showing where it is...   :-P I dont have anything to make one at home and photoshop is at work.

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »
:-)

The name is actually due to elevation, just like The Pit further south-west.

I'm still thinking about how to add some elevation hints to the map. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

Why not simply have topographical lines or something similar to show height?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 02:43:17 AM »
Because it doesn't fit the style.

I've added a bit of hinting now, with colour shades indicating elevation differences.

Penchant

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 05:46:15 AM »

I've added a bit of hinting now, with colour shades indicating elevation differences.
I have to agree its a tough thing to come up with.

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »

Well perhaps you understand your color shade code but I do not see any intuitive suggestions to elevation on the map.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 09:25:05 AM »
Personally I like the

Daithorick (Mountains at the headwaters of Thyhaton), Vacolos, Safagen, Goechretho, Chepelban...  That would be my first choice. 

No map from me showing where it is...   :-P I dont have anything to make one at home and photoshop is at work.

What's wrong with paint or gimp ?

Well perhaps you understand your color shade code but I do not see any intuitive suggestions to elevation on the map.

I believe its lighter color = higher altitude, its also much better than the nothing we had before. (lets not derail this)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:49:02 AM by Mookzen »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »

It's just a bit of hinting. Mostly, it serves to break up the uniformity of the map a bit.