Author Topic: The Paths of Prey -- Map Alternative  (Read 13405 times)

Bubba

The Paths of Prey -- Map Alternative
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »
Gunnar Redspear rested his weary feet in the cool waters of the northern sea, by the mouth of the great river. He had finally finished the long pilgrimage from one end of his far-flung folk to the other. They called that way the Paths of Prey.

Some men of great lore and runecraft swore on their spears that the name of the path derived from the old deer trails and migratory hunting routes that the pilgrim's road had been built atop. Gunnar's grandfather had told him of the nomadic hunting lifestyle that his grandfather's grandfather had lived long ago, following the thundering herds of deer and auroches along the entire length of the Path every year. A hard life of wandering! Now the northern people had learned the tricks of the southrons and begun to sow the earth with grain to supplement more localised hunting trips.

But whenever someone explained the name thus according to ancient history, there were always others ready to call him a lore-addled fool. The more that one sits at home reading the runes, the less sense he makes, they would laugh in scorn. Any nitwit could see why that road is called the Paths of Prey: do not the rich, teeming lands of the southrons lie beyond the Pillars, which form the southern end of the Path? Those southrons are the Prey! Quite simple!

Regardless of the reasons for the name, the path along the homelands of his people was a long one. As Gunnar massaged his aching feet, he cursed that his people were so spread out!

Here is an alternative placement for the Beta Realm. While the blurb above gives an RP reason, in fact, this alternative is proposed simply because more players want mountains. Therefore, we can string out the lands and place no emphasis on being compact. There are now five of nine realms with mountains.

First come, first serve! I still want dark red.

cenrae

• View Profile
Re: The Paths of Prey -- Map Alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
I like it.

Blue along the lake.
Clan Skies | House Kye on BM

Zakath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
A spread out land actually makes lots of sense for a more primitive realm. Either doing it this way, or simply leaving a bit of space between the petty kingdoms would work but in game terms this is probably the best variant.

I'd take the yellow or white, but I'm not terribly picky about it.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
aye this looks pretty good.
something like the blue lands would suit me. couple grasslands, a forest and a hills makes for good balance, + room to grow into when accepting vassals to my little duchy.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
I also like that concept a lot. It give the additional oportunity to view for more lands once this will be availiable - instant friction between the clans!

I also like that the non-mountain bordering clans have more grasslands - and can therefore trade for metal. My only suggestion would be to remove the mountain from the blue clan. They have the excellent option to expand into the rich grasslands northeast.

As to prefered starting point - any seems fine. Actually I would be interested in the northwestern ones, red or green.

Bubba

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
My only suggestion would be to remove the mountain from the blue clan. They have the excellent option to expand into the rich grasslands northeast.

Evens out the advantage of Homeland F a bit more, since no one was hot to sieze the southernmost Homeland anyway. Now a metal-deficient new Homeland to the east has the old opportunities of Homeland F.

I also think Homeland I needs an added region to sweeten the deal--it is a  dangerous march, after all.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:16:10 PM by Bubba »

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
i'd happy take any of the lands with a mountain in them.

I would suggest Realm C holds the capital, as rich lands for developing a city and clear of border incursions.

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »
F still choice 1, then G or whatever.

Valast

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:57:39 AM »
Oh I don't mind.  Where ever I am put is fine.  Perhaps just draw straws :-P  Unless everyone who WANTS a certain spot can come up with RP for why they have it?

The whole place is really scattered but I guess the point is for future expansion once things go live?

cenrae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
In whatever lands I have rule over I would very much like it if another player controlled a region or two of them as my vassal and I would do likewise for another.

My experience thus far in the alpha is less than favorable when you are part of a realm that is predominantly controlled by a single player and his multitude of characters. I want character interaction not a bunch of drones.

That said I have no plans to run more then say 4 characters in thus realm

Alumaani

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
Give me LOTS of land!!!!

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 01:51:53 AM »
I would strongly prefer land near the coast,  as the whole RP history of the 2 noble bloodlines I will play revolves around one being a much more recent arrival from an exotic middle-eastish culture across the sea (significance given to the motif of seas and rivers), also some number of settlements to grow into as there are quite a few characters lined up for roleplaying. I think lands northeast of D (where the ocean meets the river) looks like exactly what I had in mind, or are the marked areas the only ones made available ? Obviously putting some thought into balance and all that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:14:50 AM by Mookzen »

Bubba

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:50 AM »

The only problem that I can see with that area is a fairly subaverage start. Woodlands are okay, but you'd really need a few grasslands to have the most options. That area is short of a good stretch of grasslands. And that's the main concept of the Paths... everyone gets a decent start.

Still, when I adventure into Photoshop next time, I will draw that area for you so everyone can see your claim.

Mookzen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
The only problem that I can see with that area is a fairly subaverage start. Woodlands are okay, but you'd really need a few grasslands to have the most options. That area is short of a good stretch of grasslands. And that's the main concept of the Paths... everyone gets a decent start.

Still, when I adventure into Photoshop next time, I will draw that area for you so everyone can see your claim.

You are right, if regions stay as they are now that particular start would likely be a crippling disadvantage, especially considering that there is no room for expansion, and the gimped economy would leave it open to quick conquest, that area in general is best as a continuation of a bigger domain. How about claiming some land to the left side of A, right across the river, going with the general theme of having a more spread out realm. Naturally a bridge would be one of the first projects undertaken. A much more balanced start I think and one that fits well, actually better than the one suggested before. Probably best to limit the 'layering' of players from the coast to avoid locking people in too much anyways.

Bubba

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »
Welp, so much for this. The new terrain is so horrendous, I wouldn't really have the heart to aid the process of picking the "least bad" starting plots.